Piggery project

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

To add to Jacks post getting rid of the waste is also a nightmare

@bastonjock 

Yes and that itself can have  disastrous effects. If the waste is not disposed of Correctly and in good orderly timing, The Risk of Infection to the Stock could be a huge problem, Swine fever knows no Bounds and could wipe out the Stock in 15/20 days. Hiring a good Animal Husbandry man/woman to single out infected Piglets will cost a lot but if the project is going to be big it would be essential. Breeding Pigs here on a Small scale seems quite normal and fairly easy to handle ( not that I would want to do it) but anything over 50 Pigs and I think you are going to need a bit more than family and friends help :tiphat: IMHO

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

@bastonjock

All today's posts may seem negative to you but in reality they are 100% Positive my Friend, I think we all here wish you every success but many of us have been here for a lot years and know what hurdles you will have to jump over and Hoops to jump through. It is far better we inform you now of some of the Pitfalls? the bureaucracy that may come your way, For me, and I feel others as well, just want you to be Forewarned of the possibility of things happening you may not have come across in your fairly short visits here before you lay out 00000's of Peso and find brickwalls :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Have a good weekend my Friend.

BTW I have Linked a Page on the legalities of Piggeries in the Philippines, Maybe a few Hours reading the various pages to enlighten yourself & Your Good Lady of course, especially as it will affect her Greatly :thumbsup:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+leagl+side+of+a+piggery+in+the+philippines&oq=the+leagl+side+of+a+piggery+in+the+philippines&aqs=chrome..69i57.13431j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I agree with Jack's sentiments. Sometimes our posts are all doom and gloom but they are from experience. 

No disrespect to the locals but they aren't ones for following the rules of law. 

If someone has done it before regardless how illegal it is then in their books it's all legal.  The issues happen later when they get caught out and everything is lost.  Just look at Boracay, El Nido, Bohol,  Manila and Puerto Galera when the Government decide to uphold laws and regulations. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

@bastonjock

just want you to be Forewarned of the possibility of things happening you may not have come across in your fairly short visits here before you lay out 00000's of Peso and find brickwalls :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Forewarned would have been great but he's already laid out 3m pesos on the venture.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

Forewarned would have been great but he's already laid out 3m pesos on the venture.  

Fingers crossed smiley.jpg is all we can say then EH? :smile:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Fingers crossed smiley.jpg is all we can say then EH? :smile:

Indeed!

But let's give the OP some credit for having looked into the details before investing his hard earned into the venture. At least let's hope he has!  

• Like 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yes...and No.  Once you start feeding a stray dog you may find it keeps coming back for more if you get my meaning! 

And occasionally if you don't feed it, it will bite you. Keep that in mind also.:biggrin: 

• Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Indeed!

But let's give the OP some credit for having looked into the details before investing his hard earned into the venture. At least let's hope he has!  

With all of the failed ventures that I have heard of I really hope he makes it. :tiphat:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Mike J said:

How will you manage the large volume of waste that the pigs will generate?:89:

My father had a small piggery at the farm.  Whenever the pens were cleaned, the waste and water flowed to a pond located at a lower elevation about 150 meters away.  The pond was stock with bottom feeder fish (Tilapia).  Once a year, neighborhood kids were invited to fish and the remainder removed using nets.  The harvest was donated to the local community.

A more modern method is to place the waste in pits lined with concrete and covered with plastic tarp and a hose at the top.  The methane gas produced is sufficient for cooking.  Some large piggeries use the methane gas to generate electricity.  The waste can also be mixed with grass and plant debris.  A year later, you can use it as fertilizer.

The piggery was never large enough for commercial sale, but we had lechon for all the birthdays and parties.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Mike J said:

How will you manage the large volume of waste that the pigs will generate?:89:

At some point , treasure hunters have dug several deep holes on the premises , there is also a creek near by which will handle the waste overflow after it's been filtered through the ground , the waste will flow into the holes and soak away,  the plan is to use suction equipment to remove the semi solid waste and sell it as fertiliser