How safe in palawan compared to Koh Samui thailand?

cadoia
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, SenorJorge said:

If there's one thing I could take back, it would be ever going to Thailand.  That country literally ruined my life.  I was doing okay one day, the next I landed in Thailand, and that is when the problems began.  Not because of any "south of the border" mentality, but because so many people did really bad things to me there.  People will laugh, and say hey, it was your own fault.  You were stupid."  Not really.  I lived there for a long time, consider myself generally "smart" about Thailand (although no one knows everything) and this still happened to me.  I know there is obsession with money everywhere, but I've NEVER seen obsession with money to the extremes I have seen it in Thailand.  And there is a general attitude in Thailand that scamming foreigners is "normal" and less bad than scamming other Thais.  Take for instance my last wife  This girl (I say girl because she has the mentality of a 13 year old) lied to me about her history with prostitution, married me for no reason other than money, talked to many other men over the course of our engagement, probably continued to freelance while she was engaged to me (I can't confirm), spent over 4000 US dollars in less than a month, will not permit me to go home to the USA for medical treatment because she can't go, sold my diamond engagement ring, then AFTER selling my ring asks me to put her on an allowance.  Yet, its almost like, when I'm talking to her, it seems to me that she genuinely doesn't see anything wrong with her doing any of this.  Its almost "socially acceptable".  "Normal" for Northeastern Thailand maybe.  The entire Thai family lives off of one stupid farang's pension while the female probably cheats and does who knows whatever else.  I refused to accept this as my new life and just made a mad dash for it and got out of there.  You Just slip out the back, Jack.. Make a new plan, Stan...  I just thought it would never happen to me.  I'm too smart to be fooled, too smart to be tricked into fake love.  I know too much about Thailand.  Apparently not.

Im Sorry to hear about your experiences there. I lived in Thailand koh samui for 12 years and never had any thais rip me off. I was with a thai GF for 5 years and it was great. She never asked for money. We split because I simply was bored plus I met another woman from a more culturally like minded country. 

In this forum I read about Maids stealing your stuff. Rip offs etc. So it happens in PH too I see. You just got unlucky I think. 

• Love it 1

SenorJorge
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yep and again since your story is in almost every topic I ask if the people you chose and seem to want to choose again but in a different countrie could be part of the causes of your problems ? 

Well she was working in a factory.  She pretended to speak less English than she really did.  Very convincingly.  She had all of the "attributes" of the  so-called "good girl".  Good girl = safe to marry.  I only found out about her hidden "bad girl" attributes after it was already too late.  She was very smart and good at concealing those attributes.  I won't be marrying any more.  I should be ok.  Sorry to hijack the thread.   You're right, hombre. peace.

SenorJorge
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, cadoia said:

Im Sorry to hear about your experiences there. I lived in Thailand koh samui for 12 years and never had any thais rip me off. I was with a thai GF for 5 years and it was great. She never asked for money. We split because I simply was bored plus I met another woman from a more culturally like minded country. 

In this forum I read about Maids stealing your stuff. Rip offs etc. So it happens in PH too I see. You just got unlucky I think. 

I think there on that island you're a bit sheltered from all of the scams and crime in the rest of Thailand.  I spent most of my time in Thailand right in the mix of it, there in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Udon.  Pattaya is literally just a nest, its a crime pit.  Any western male who lives there full time is usually just not right either in my experiences.  Most guys I know ho like to have a bit of fun here and there in Pattaya actually live in Bangkok and head to Pats for the weekend or even for just an evening.  Pattaya is just a dirty beach, dirty streets, it stinks.  Crime and pollution everywhere.  Its hard to find a good thing to say about it except for "bars".  Thats not my ideal place to live at all.

Edited by SenorJorge

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Senor  Jorge it my be useful for you to read the Sick wife thread in the Charities section.

• Thanks 1

SenorJorge
Posted
Posted

What exactly transpired with this fella and the bar?  Ben Jordan?  Is there a link?

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, cadoia said:

Is Siargo having muslim influences? Terrorism? You feel its generally safer than Palawan?

Siargo felt very safe , its a surfers place , i did not see any muslims

cadoia
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

Siargo felt very safe , its a surfers place , i did not see any muslims

Did some research on the Island..... looks like its getting hit hard with Typhoons in that area right? 

Plus Earthquakes. Im told Palawan sits on a different tectonic plate hence less Earth Quakes plus it gets much less Typhoons in that area. So I guess one cant have it all in one place ha ha.

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, cadoia said:

Did some research on the Island..... looks like its getting hit hard with Typhoons in that area right? 

Plus Earthquakes. Im told Palawan sits on a different tectonic plate hence less Earth Quakes plus it gets much less Typhoons in that area. So I guess one cant have it all in one place ha ha.

Move further south to samal , davao is very safe and no typhoons

cadoia
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, bastonjock said:

ok ill check it out. thanks. 

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, bastonjock said: