Solar Power System Installed

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Has this changed recently?   A half dozen years back I had a friend, may he R.I.P, who frequently sent boxes from himself in the US to himself in the Philippines and his name does not sound Filipino in the slightest.

3 years ago l sent boxes and never paid any taxes but according to this ? 

4. Who can send Balikbayan Boxes to the Philippines?
Anyone can send Balikbayan boxes to the Philippines, whether you be a Foreigner or a Filipino who is living abroad for employment, education, permanent residency. Foreigners however are definitely required to pay taxes. Filipinos, on the other hand, are exempted from taxation if and only if they satisfy certain eligibility requirements to be qualified for the privilege.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

3 years ago l sent boxes and never paid any taxes but according to this ? 

4. Who can send Balikbayan Boxes to the Philippines?
Anyone can send Balikbayan boxes to the Philippines, whether you be a Foreigner or a Filipino who is living abroad for employment, education, permanent residency. Foreigners however are definitely required to pay taxes. Filipinos, on the other hand, are exempted from taxation if and only if they satisfy certain eligibility requirements to be qualified for the privilege.

According to his linked title it does say 2019.  However, the last I heard all these proposals had been canned.  Last May when we were in the states we shipped 4 boxes to ourselves.  The shipper said all was same as before.  None of the new forms, copy of IDs, or item list was required.  We had no issue. 

Now as a side note, according to the new proposed rules which may or may not have been taken effect,  if a box contains items of value less than P10,000/ ~$200. then they are exempt from the new rules.  This is called De Minimis Value.Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 7.31.54 PM.png

Even with all the research, calls, and reading, I still don't know for sure if BOC is enforcing any or part of the new rules.  Of course like anything else here,...YMMV.

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I have heard that they have started to X-Ray boxes looking for contraband.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Right on with that advice.  Lazada, Shoppee and AliExpress all have suppliers who ship from China.  They are often very quick and cheap.

I could not find a piece for my Makita power tool in Dumaguete so I went to Shoppee and had 2 of the same part shipped from China in 10 days at a total cost of 200 pesos including shippine.  I say WOW.

Lucky you, my part was bought by a friend in China and mailed here 3 weeks ago. Nothing yet.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
On 7/1/2019 at 6:53 AM, Tommy T. said:

I am also interested in learning about what batteries are available here. As I noted previously in another topic, I used gel batteries on my yacht and I feel they were the best for endurance, quality and value... but they were not cheap. I believe firmly that you get what you pay for...

Local availability is something I'm very much interested in as well Tommy.  Bringing this thread back, as I was reminded by the new 'Transformer' topic how much I want to be off-grid when we build our house (eventually).  Did some research on this years ago, and concluded that a full 12V system using yacht appliances would be the way to go for efficiency.  However, these days with all the damn gadgets and devices we need to charge, those chargers are all AC transformers.  So now I gotta rethink everything.  Above all I want the system to be simple, scalable, and hopefully the cells and panels to be procured locally.  

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Local availability is something I'm very much interested in as well Tommy.  Bringing this thread back, as I was reminded by the new 'Transformer' topic how much I want to be off-grid when we build our house (eventually).  Did some research on this years ago, and concluded that a full 12V system using yacht appliances would be the way to go for efficiency.  However, these days with all the damn gadgets and devices we need to charge, those chargers are all AC transformers.  So now I gotta rethink everything.  Above all I want the system to be simple, scalable, and hopefully the cells and panels to be procured locally.  

Off grid, the batteries are the expensive part, if you live in Manila there are shops selling solar batteries and other parts. I was looking to get a backup solar system but having a roof on 3 story building no one is willing to do the job.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

but having a roof on 3 story building no one is willing to do the job.

How about on the Roof of the Rental Jim or even On Platforms around the Garden:wink:

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

How about on the Roof of the Rental Jim or even On Platforms around the Garden:wink:

Could do, but the renter would want his power backed up too lol. Could have a couple of panels on platforms in the garden but Eve would not like it. Garden is her thing. :gottarun_80_anim_gif:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

Could do, but the renter would want his power backed up too lol. Could have a couple of panels on platforms in the garden but Eve would not like it. Garden is her thing. :gottarun_80_anim_gif:

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg Just trying to help Here Mate :whistling:

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Marvin Boggs said:

Marvin... I will be looking into these things also...

Now that I am yachtless, I need to re-work many things, including offline power options. I will likely use local batteries for the backup power and just need to source the back-up inverter/transformer... It will be a while, so I am not in any rush.

Meanwhile, I suggest you look online for power inverters and transformers... My landlord here set some solar panels on part of his roof  and has a system to save the power in batteries and then recycle the energy back into his home...