Post up your favorite cars and car stories!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's cool... did you buy it new?

I ask because we may need to buy a second car - L really wants to drive, in spite of my misgivings...

Edited by Tommy T.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Suzuki Dumaguete but here is a Link for Davao and I can assure you Tom that the Service will be the Same;

https://auto.suzuki.com.ph/news-and-events/news/suzuki-philippines-officially-inaugurates-3s-dealership-in-davao-157

One thing Suzuki have got right here in the Philippines is Customer Service and Satisfaction.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sorry... I forgot to quote your message to link it...

Thanks Jack! Suzuki here in Davao is rather low profile - everything here seems to be geared to Toyota.

Our car right now is a 14 year old Mazda compact SUV and needs more and more maintenance as it ages (like me). So I want to get something very reliable for L so she won't ever be stranded or have problems. An SUV would be great, but they are more difficult to park and use more gas.

So I will look at that link and consider that as possibly our next car. Nothing is better than recommendations from somebody you know...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
On 10/15/2019 at 12:48 PM, graham59 said:

Another great British name in sports cars was TVR, though a much smaller company that the manufacturers of the old  MGs.

Their 'S' Series, from the late 1980s-early 90s, were 'proper' sports cars, with both V6 (Ford 2.9i Cologne) and the Rover-sourced all -alloy V8. Fibre glass body mounted on a separate tubular steel chassis ...as per all TVRs.  My car was a V6 version, which on the rolling road showed 190 horsepower at the flywheel.  TVRs have a better exhaust/muffler system than the stock Ford motors, plus one or two other small tweaks, hence the extra few horses. 

In this photo I'm actually doing some of the upgrades that I mentioned in my post above... though to an already-excellent handling and stopping car. 

I have stripped the front suspension, in order to fit some new adjustable coil-over dampers, plus up-rated bushes. 

The rear of the car is waiting for me to fit the brake-conversion kit (drums to discs), plus the suspension upgrades. 

If a sports car can't be driven safely in anger, I can't see the point in owning one, to be honest.  

Me working on the S2.jpg

Oh...found a pic of the rear disc upgrade I fitted (sourced from Ford Sierra Cosworth) :

S2 disc.jpg

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted

Yeah we kind of ruled out normal cars after realizing we would need to use the Roro from time to time.  Just today got to watch a Toyota coupe of some kind trying to negotiate the ramp and the thick ropes there.  I fancy one of the Nissan Patrols eventually, but they are so damn large in our current neighborhood situation.  A good compromise car seems to be the Isuzu Crosswind.  It has good high clearance, but is narrower than most of the sport utilities.  Rode in a few that were diesel taxis, quite nice.  

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

If you're looking at the Isuzu Crosswind (nothing wrong with that one) then you should probably also check out the Mitsubishi Adventure and the Toyota Innova.

I agree about low clearance vehicles here, they can be a bit limiting.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Here is another nice looking car and cheap too, just under £5000.

I must add these are all in the Uk 

BAEA7EBB-A0EE-4CF3-B4BF-1FE338836477.jpegD4B5ED6C-71B4-40FE-A663-68F973804097.jpegDB6AD078-9939-4E59-B6D8-212A082FADF3.jpeg

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

That plate is probably worth nearly as much as the car.  :biggrin:   Maybe selling it separately ?

Amazingly,  back in the late 80s, my (already rich) best friend received 25,000 pounds for the '308 GTB' registration plate on his Ferrari...308 GTB, plus another 50,000 pounds for the car.  which he had owned for 11 years, from new. A rarer fibreglass-bodied version though, in perfect condition, and with full Maranello service history.  :smile:

He replaced the car with a new Porsche 930 'Flatnose' in Guards Red,  all leather interior ,and with quad sports exhaust, turbo/intercooler upgrade...giving at least an extra 50bhp, plus a lovely set of gold BBS alloys. 

I was privileged to ride down to the pub on many occasions (as well as the 308 previously) in this fabulous machine. :smile:

Here's a similar one, just black wheels, rather than gold:

930 Flatnose.jpg

Edited by graham59
  • Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Yes the number plate should be worth something, I wonder what mine is worth now, definitely worth more then my 1998 Toyota avensis .:whistling:

graham59
Posted
Posted

Much as I am loyal to British makes of cars Steve, I have to say that Toyota make (or made) damned good motor vehicles... their engines especially,  being top notch. :thumbsup:

Hang on to your old friend the Avensis, Steve.  Lovely cars they are anyway. 

• Like 2