Post up your favorite cars and car stories!

stevewool
Posted
Posted (edited)

A nice Volvo P1800E,111000 miles , £19950

F777D9E2-6D2D-4113-85FF-92FC44AB916C.jpegF50F9AD5-7B26-4F52-B92A-D14DEF1093EA.jpeg582A91BD-A93A-4B09-9829-7426E302B425.jpeg

Edited by stevewool
Added a 0
  • Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

My best mate had one of those P1800s, back in the early 70s.  Lovely motor.   (As driven by Roger Moore, in 'The Saint' TV series, of course, and before he became James Bond and transferred his loyalty to Aston Martin). :smile:

Here's another pic I found of one of my Lotus 7s... with the (not often pictured) top on.  Very noisy inside when like that. lol

271213_235417316492677_1067396_o.jpg

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

For those of you in the market for a new bike, here are some of the latest and greatest!

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

So many outrageous bikes! I loved so many of them... I liked the John Deer version that had a reverse gear!

But there were so many that were wild and crazy... What fun!

graham59
Posted
Posted

In my twenties....earning big money, and with my Jaguar XJ6... the car I had always dreamed of owning.   :smile:

Me and my XJ6.jpg

• Like 4

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

In my twenties....earning big money, and with my Jaguar XJ6... the car I had always dreamed of owning.   :smile:

Me and my XJ6.jpg

Certainly the MK1 was easily the best car in the world at time, I think when your 73/74 MK2 came along there was some competition from Mercedes. Unfortunately due to issues with quality was never the success it should have been, good read below:

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/jaguar/xj6xj12/

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, I had already owned an earlier Mk1 (1972 model in deep blue). 

Really though, the killer was the fuel consumption. I was using the Jags as daily drivers for work... which meant normally, between 100 and 200 miles per day. At 14 mpg, even though I could afford the fuel,  and could claim against tax, being self-employed,it just seemed a waste of money, to be honest. 

So, I started buying Fords... Capris and Cortinas, for the next few years. 

Oh, and talking of the competition from Mercedes... my close friend had a 280SE at that time, and had to admit (my opinion also) that his Merc just did not have the refinement, comfort, and performance of the Jag' . Very utilitarian. Perhaps why they did make good taxis.  :thumbsup:

Edited by graham59
  • Like 2

LUFCinMakati
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Yes, I had already owned an earlier Mk1 (1972 model in deep blue). 

Really though, the killer was the fuel consumption. I was using the Jags as daily drivers for work... which meant normally, between 100 and 200 miles per day. At 14 mpg, even though I could afford the fuel,  and could claim against tax, being self-employed,it just seemed a waste of money, to be honest. 

So, I started buying Fords... Capris and Cortinas, for the next few years. 

Oh, and talking of the competition from Mercedes... my close friend had a 280SE at that time, and had to admit (my opinion also) that his Merc just did not have the refinement, comfort, and performance of the Jag' . Very utilitarian. Perhaps why they did make good taxis.  :thumbsup:

My Father got the 3rd MK1 XJ6 delivered by Appleyards in Leeds, I'm trying to recall the colour now, pretty sure it was blue on blue, I was 2 at the time and he never kept them long. He then got one of the 1st XK12 delivered by Appleyards, now that was thirsty, particularly given my Father's very heavy right foot.  

For me the MK 1 is the better looking car, however I would say the same about the E Type.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yes, I do agree on the looks of the Series 1 XJs... nicer looking (and they got progressively spoiled with each later model (partly because of criticism of the lack of rear headroom).

It was actually another friend's (later work colleague) who got me into direct selling, after SHE turned up at my place to take me out for a 'look-see' at the job I was being offered.... in beautiful XJ12, which she also drove very enthusiastically. She was gorgeous, 23 years old, and a successful direct sales lady, earning big money.  I think her car did about 10mpg, but that didn't bother her. lol 

The car had been supplied by Appleyards in Leeds.  (I'm from York).  

I was smitten by her and by the car.  The job was great too, so I accepted it, and followed that career path for the next 30 odd years. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I am impressed. Would love to drive a car with this engine in just once - bucket list wish I know I will never realize. Put this in one of your x-box cars, @graham59?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/hennessey-venom-f5s-engine-makes-1817-hp-fury-comes-standard/ar-AAI7uW8

a yellow and black motorcycle