American volunteer shot

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

While tragic, this also should serve as a reminder why foreigners should not become involved in Philippine politics.

https://news.yahoo.com/american-volunteer-branded-enemy-state-084441541.html

An American human rights volunteer is reportedly in critical condition after he was shot four times in the Philippines.

Brandon Lee, 37, was attacked outside his home in Ifugao province in the northern Philippines on Tuesday after he was called an “enemy of the state” on social media, reports the Guardian.

Lee suffered cardiac arrest during a surgery to remove a bullet lodged in his jaw.

Lee is a volunteer for Ifugao Peasant Movement (IPM), a farmers’ group that actively opposes a hydropower project and the military presence in the Cordillera region, according to the Guardian. In 2008, an IPM staff member was killed in a similar attack.

Lee and other IPM staff had were labeled “enemy of the state” in posters that were put up around the province.

Another rights group, the Cordillera Human Rights Alliance, where Lee also volunteers, blamed authorities for the attack.

“We hold accountable the state security forces that the Duterte administration has let loose in the Cordillera region,” the group said in a statement, according to the Guardian. The group also said that Lee had been receiving threats before the attack.

A recent report by watchdog Global Witness found that the Philippines is the deadliest country in the world for environmental defenders, with 30 environmentalists murdered there in 2018.

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has notoriously called land and environmental activists communist sympathizers and terrorists in an effort to silence them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

If you are not a Filipino its best to keep your nose out of anything that concerns the Philippines!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

I believe it (meddling in internal politics) is an offence  for which a foreigner can be deported, is it not ?

• Like 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Global Witless.

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

An American human rights volunteer is reportedly in critical condition after he was shot four times in the Philippines.

A tragic sentence for a tragic story. Are there no editors anymore?

"Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, graham59 said:

I believe it (meddling in internal politics) is an offence  for which a foreigner can be deported, is it not ?

I don't know but it wouldn't surprise me.  Where I am, a foreigner isn't even allowed to sit on the HOA committee. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

If you are not a Filipino its best to keep your nose out of anything that concerns the Philippines!

And if you are a Filipino it's best to keep your nose out of anything that concerns the Philippines if you don't have large amounts of money in the bank, or are not a politician!:fingerscrossed_80_anim_gif:

• Like 4

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, graham59 said:

Give it a try and let us know what happens.:no:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1