American volunteer shot

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/10/2019 at 6:26 PM, Mike J said:

I highlighted the particular sentence that I think is way too provocative on the part of one San Francisco city employee.  This statement is supposition at best and should not be part of any article that proclaims itself as "news".

On 8/10/2019 at 6:26 PM, Mike J said:

Lee is the first U.S. citizen believed to be the target of an extra-judicial assassination attempt by the regime of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte, according to the office of San Francisco Supervisor Gordon Mar.

I agree.  What a crock, even if it has a tiny chance of being true.  I left the San Francisco Bay area in 2003 and it has gone downhill every since.  :smile:  The downtown is becoming a real cesspool under the current politicians.

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Did I mention that I believe in God?  :2245_safe:  I don't usually mention it until some pompous ass starts denigrating my faith.  Then I get a bit uppity.

REALLY DAVE.......me too!..........

Alien.jpg

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Just an interesting observation here and maybe even a bit more on point of this topic? If this seems too political, moderators, please delete and accept my apology...

I notice that there are some Filipinos participating in the  demonstrations in Hong Kong lately. While I don't disagree with their (Hong Kong freedom) movement or their actions in any way, I find it interesting that the Philippine government hasn't made any proclamation to tell them not to do that. I did read, however, that there is some thought here to prohibit OFW to work in Hong Kong due to the unrest there...

I read that one was arrested and claimed that he just happened to be wearing a black shirt (protesters there wear black or white depending on their affiliation) and on his way home... Here, he would have possibly been arrested or shot?

Hmmm...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I notice that there are some Filipinos participating in the  demonstrations in Hong Kong lately. While I don't disagree with their (Hong Kong freedom) movement or their actions in any way, I find it interesting that the Philippine government hasn't made any proclamation to tell them not to do that.

Participating in a legal demonstration is a right of people living in Hong Kong - why would the Philippine government wish to deprive them of that right, Tom?  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I forgot to quote so changed my posting...

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Participating in a legal demonstration is a right of people living in Hong Kong - why would the Philippine government wish to deprive them of that right, Tom?  

Good question, HK... I guess my thought direction was comparing how here in Phil, my understanding is that no foreigners should participate in anything political at all. And I understand and respect that.

However, there is a huge amount of political upheaval in Hong Kong now (which I will simply state here that I support 200%) and there are some Filipinos participating in that there... So I see a bit of discrepancy there.

Again, I am not attempting to cause problems... I am just seeing a bit of a difference between what is expected here and there...

Do you see what my thoughts are? Maybe I am a bit too subtle? I just don't want to initiate or inflate any political debate here. just note an apparent difference - to me - in some situations...

It is so difficult sometimes to react and edit because of the so slow internet here...

In thinking to further explain my thoughts, HK... I am just comparing or contrasting my thoughts about Filipinos protesting actively in Hong Kong compared to anyone being active here. Believe me... I am absolutely no supporter of that guy who was shot, or anyone who might try to influence local government or procedures. That is totally out of line. I am just here as a guest and want to simply live here and relax and enjoy.

I am just curious about how the Filipino system really  prohibits or frowns upon foreigners trying to influence the government or systems here, yet Filipinos who are in Hong Kong are attempting to influence the system there... Some people don't seem to see the difference... Or am I just weird? ( I have been accused of that before, so won't be offended if I am labelled that way again).

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Good question, HK... I guess my thought direction was comparing how here in Phil, my understanding is that no foreigners should participate in anything political at all. And I understand and respect that.

However, there is a huge amount of political upheaval in Hong Kong now (which I will simply state here that I support 200%) and there are some Filipinos participating in that there... So I see a bit of discrepancy there.

Again, I am not attempting to cause problems... I am just seeing a bit of a difference between what is expected here and there...

Do you see what my thoughts are? Maybe I am a bit too subtle? I just don't want to initiate or inflate any political debate here. just note an apparent difference - to me - in some situations...

It is so difficult sometimes to react and edit because of the so slow internet here...

In thinking to further explain my thoughts, HK... I am just comparing or contrasting my thoughts about Filipinos protesting actively in Hong Kong compared to anyone being active here. Believe me... I am absolutely no supporter of the guy or anyone who might try to influence local government or procedures... I am just curious about how the Filipino system really  prohibits or frowns upon foreigners trying to influence the government or systems here, yet Filipinos who are in Hong Kong are attempting to influence the system there...

I do understand your point, and it was what I was expecting to read, Tom.

I guess I just don't see why an individual should not be allowed to express their opinion within the remit of the law of the country they are in.  Now, I may or may not agree with the law on foreigners not getting involved in politics here, it's irrelevant what I think and I respect and follow the law.  But, it's not illegal in Hong Kong and the Philippines government would be opening a Pandora's box by trying to argue that the laws in the Philippines should be followed by Filipinos elsewhere - this would bring a deal of discredit and even mockery upon it IMO.  Would they like to do it, I'm sure but they're not dumb enough to go down that road. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I guess I just don't see why an individual should not be allowed to express their opinion within the remit of the law of the country they are in.  Now, I may or may not agree with the law on foreigners not getting involved in politics here, it's irrelevant what I think and I respect and follow the law.  But, it's not illegal in Hong Kong and the Philippines government would be opening a Pandora's box by trying to argue that the laws in the Philippines should be followed by Filipinos elsewhere - this would bring a deal of discredit and even mockery upon it IMO.  Would they like to do it, I'm sure but they're not dumb enough to go down that road. 

HK... Thank you for a really incredible and thoughtful reply and rebuttal to my comment. I could never have voiced your thoughts better than you did.

I have one relative still working in HK so I am always concerned about her well-being and safety - that is the only reason why I say anything here. She is not at all the type to go out and demonstrate at all.

I was just wondering about the difference between behaviour here and there and you described and explained it perfectly... thanks!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I do understand your point, and it was what I was expecting to read, Tom.

Hmmm... However... I am concerned, HK because both you and Jack have made comments at different times on different topics about expecting my replies... I think I am becoming too predictable... So I will try to change my thoughts and replies in future...:hystery:

Edited by Tommy T.