Dental Implants

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I searched and there are a couple of older topics on dental implants.  It seems that everyone in those threads who had implants was happy they got them.

My wife needs one (tooth was pulled today) and I also have an old root canal with a crown that is going to need one, ideally.  What did you pay for your dental implants here in the Philippines or in other countries?  Are you happy about the result?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

My wife needs one (tooth was pulled today) and I also have an old root canal with a crown that is going to need one, ideally.  What did you pay for your dental implants here in the Philippines or in other countries?  Are you happy about the result?

I had one done in USA back in 2013. I am pleased with the result. They can be relatively easy or - as in my case - a bit more difficult. According to my oral surgeon/dentist here, the technology has come a long way since then. Mine took four treatments over the course of a year and a half. I can't imagine it will take that long or cost so much nowadays... I think mine was close to $8,000 or even more when it was finished. The gold crown, itself, was right around $1,000.

It will also make big difference in price depending on the type of crown you choose. Remember that you get what you pay for. The best thing is to get referred by another ex-pat, as JGF suggested for other dentistry a month or so ago on a different thread. Make sure it is an oral surgeon, not just a dentist who says they can do implants, just in case you have complications - which are more common among us who exceed six decades in age...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I think mine was close to $8,000 or even more when it was finished. The gold crown, itself, was right around $1,000.

Tommy I am a bit confused.  You mention an implant and a crown.  Two separate procedures, not related based on my, admittedly limited, knowledge. :89:

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
Just now, Mike J said:

Tommy I am a bit confused.  You mention an implant and a crown.  Two separate procedures, not related based on my, admittedly limited, knowledge. :89:

Sorry, Mike... Like I said, maybe the procedures are better now than before...

With mine, they needed to fill in my upper jaw because the bone there was thin. That took two procedures, then waiting time for the bone grafts to "take" and be solid and integrated enough for the implant.

The actual implant part was not difficult. The surgeon drilled into the jaw and screwed a post into the bone and put a plastic cap on it. Then there was more waiting time for the bone and implant to knit together. He used a tiny little ratchet...

A few months later I returned for a checkup to make sure it was set properly and then I went to my regular dentist who fitted a crown onto it exactly the same way as is done after a root canal is done and just a post is left as the base of the crown.

So, essentially, two steps - screw in the implant (which is stainless?), then fit on a crown. I was advised that over time the implant would eventually probably loosen, requiring it to be screwed in a bit more or replaced... but 10 plus years down the road.

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The implant consists of a titanium post and then the "crown" tooth is attached to that.  I don't think crown is the term they use for implants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Mike J said:

The number bouncing around the internet seems to be 50K to 80K per implant depending on the clinic.  I have considered implants but at my age (69), I figured the money was better spent elsewhere.  And they close your mouth when they put you in the casket anyway. :hystery:

That's a helluva lot cheaper than for me! Mine was still a bit during the pioneering age, I am afraid...

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't think crown is the term they use for implants.

That's what they called it for me, but that's a long time ago already...

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I have considered implants but at my age (69), I figured the money was better spent elsewhere. 

For me, the reason to get one wasn't aesthetic - it was a back tooth... But, after the bad tooth was pulled due to a lousy root canal done in Manila (!), I was finding I would chew on something like a peanut or popcorn or whatever and it would really hurt when it pressed on the gap that was just gum... I also had enough money to take care of it... Today, sure, for 50k pesos? That's a bargain...IF it's done right.:biggrin: And look... you can't even see it now...!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1