Building a Home in Davao

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Same with us, plus we keep the doors open to the sea breeze all day so the two dogs can come and go as they please.  Same with the three cats.  At night all the critters sleep out side.   Side note - all animals are spay/neutered so they tend to stay home and we don't have other dogs/cats trying to sneak in paw at the gates.

Yes Mike--are house is only enclosed on the road side one other side. The rest are higher sea walls. One of our dogs especially will bark if any fisherman decides to pause too close, or leave his slippers or dry clothes on top. Otherwise all day long they're exploring, except lately when it's hot they just sleep with one eye open.:smile:

• Like 1

soupeod
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Same with us, plus we keep the doors open to the sea breeze all day so the two dogs can come and go as they please.  Same with the three cats.  At night all the critters sleep out side.   Side note - all animals are spay/neutered so they tend to stay home and we don't have other dogs/cats trying to sneak in paw at the gates.

They can carry covid from what I read.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, soupeod said:

Cat Mask Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

• Haha 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, soupeod said:

There have been rare cases of animals (mostly felines) catching Covid but there is no evidence of animal to human transmission happening (yet).

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

there is no evidence of animal to human transmission happening

So it did not come from bats? Direct spread from bats to humans (likely) (The underlined part IS the link).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
On 5/5/2021 at 12:30 PM, Tommy T. said:

They really do exist, but one must be patient to find them and also must supervise always - even the good guys need to be guided along the way...

I'll go along with that, at the moment we are doing up the Ancestral home and the builder the wife's sister in-law found has swung a hammer before. He had to install two rooms in the house, swing the doors, line the ceiling in the lounge room and build a new dirty kitchen and CR and shower room. In other words it was a shell with no roof on it when we started. I was asked if I could help repair it. Don't ever suggest pulling down an Ancestral home, cold shoulder and hot tongue is what's in store if you try explaining the economics of repair against building new. Well their dads (Lolo ) house is just about finished and it has been suggested I can pick the colour of the paint for the house. Yep their good, come in spinner, we'll get the price of the paint for you and how much it will cost to put it on then you can send the money over. I should have known, Peter I've had experience with before over money and have yet to break even, but at least when I visit, no more Hotel rooms. Sometimes you know your being taken for a ride but when it is very close relies and it's not going to break you, I tend to let them have their way a little, then at a latter date when walking past a shop I'll point out the same article and comment about the price. Yes, there are good builders over there, there are people who want to take you for a ride. You know what, when we finally get over there, I wont feel homesick, we've got rouges over here too. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So it did not come from bats? Direct spread from bats to humans (likely) (The underlined part IS the link).

Sorry... I didn't make myself clear. 

I was specifically talking about felines; ie there is no evidence (yet) of (feline) animal to human transmission.  The feline immune system is seemingly more effective at suppressing the virus than ours.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 5/12/2021 at 8:49 AM, Queenie O. said:

Tommy--if your yard is completely enclosed, eventually you could let your dog run free.

Our two pets/watchdogs have free rein around, and because they are very territorial, they love to vigilantly police and alert us of anything that they don't like. Great "doorbells" too!

Everything looks great Tommy!

Thanks for your comments, Queenie!

Our yard is enclosed. However the dog is still a puppy (8 months) and only now have I been able to train him. He still likes to jump up on people (us included), bite clothing, his leash and can be a bit wild in his exuberance at times. He loves to run and, when we experimented letting him loose, he churned through the garden area, the squash plants, herb garden and generally wreaked havoc. We still have workers much of the time too.

At first we let him in the house and he chewed and bit and pulled at everything as he checked out his surroundings. So we decided to make him an outside dog. Combinations of scolding, praise, treats and repetition are bearing fruit and he is starting to settle down and respond to training. He stays tied outside and I take him out for walks several times a day.

We reckon he may be ready to have the run of the property in another several months. I need to train him to stay out of certain areas and that will take a while. Fortunately, he is very smart, so I really am sure this is possible.

He barks if he sees something new or different but otherwise is mostly quiet - which is very nice.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Yesterday I had an interesting and promising experience...

I was walking the dog while some PLDT people were installing a new line next door. The dog is still a puppy but, currently at around 25 kg, still thinks he is maybe 1 kg... So he still is very playful and likes to lunge and constantly test my strength and that of the heavy chain leash I use.

So, I let him run and jump a little and then yanked him back while commanding him by voice to chill...which he did. But the PLDT people who were lounging outside their truck climbed back inside and closed their doors. One commented, "That's a BIG dog!" That made my day.

Others have walked by when I was with him - mostly a few teenagers - and so I know that everyone within 2 kms or more knows about this strange foreigner with the big, challenging guard dog...

Maybe it's hollow confidence? Don't know, but with the new house insurance (including theft and vandalism coverage), CCTV, tall fence, big dog and actually quiet neighbourhood - well, I am much relaxed about our situation here in our new home, security-wise.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...