Building a Home in Davao

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Here's some stuff that's been on the market since 2015. 

https://youtu.be/NvlGamh66bE 

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 3/28/2021 at 7:32 AM, Mike J said:

I am not familiar with wipe out?  Is that a brand name?

Yes, Mike, it's a polish which is excellent for minor blemishes on wood and gives wood a nice shine. It's like a wax. Can be bought in hardware stores as well as in SM supermarket.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

We have worked hard to prevent rat infestation by adding steel and cement to gaps to at least minimize these incursions. So far, so good. We did see some rats a few weeks ago before the improvements and they (or it) were eating the poison I put out. Now the poison is untouched (or they are getting picky?).

We have the new "guard" dog and are working on training him. Goodness, he is very high-strung and active.... But he is also alert and barks at strangers or things that have changed since last time he might have been exploring somewhere.

I love dogs so posting this as a "public service notice" .  :smile:

<snip>

Rat and mouse poisons, also known as rodenticides, are products formulated to kill rodents. The chemicals used in these products are often highly toxic to dogs and can cause internal bleeding, kidney failure, organ damage and even death if eaten by your dog.

<end snip>

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Mike J said:

<snip>

Rat and mouse poisons, also known as rodenticides, are products formulated to kill rodents. The chemicals used in these products are often highly toxic to dogs and can cause internal bleeding, kidney failure, organ damage and even death if eaten by your dog.

<end snip>

Yes, Mike I am well aware of this, thanks. One of the most common formulas is Warfarin - a blood thinner used medicinally for humans commonly also to help minimize risks from strokes or heart attacks that may be brought on from blood clotting. Taken in quantity by rodents, it causes them to bleed out and die. Of course the same would happen to any animal that might ingest it.

I made sure to place the bait where the dog does not go - upstairs on a terrace - the dog does not go into the house, but there have been past signs of rodent activity there.

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Mike J said:

<snip>

<end snip>

A very good point to keep in mind if you have to revert to using them. They sell 3 or 4 variants at Handiman here, and quite a few years ago when we had a different type structure for the 2nd floor of our house which had an inner plywood shell inside hardwood framing with a bamboo and nipa roof mice were a natural occurence. Since we keep two dogs and often let the one who is an excellent and proven 'ratter' run free in the enclosed property at night, that was always a major concern of mind. 

If mice take up residence and start families, you will  be plagued with continual noises of them scurrying overhead or within hollows, which will drive you nuts. With poison, you risk having them die inside these spaces and start rotting until the ants and cockroaches dispose of the corpses, but it takes much longer than dead geckos or small things for them to consume so there may be an unpleasant odor for a while. 

Nevertheless, I would sometimes use the blue or pink colored pebble poisons which I would introduce into the walls with paper funnels if there were any construction gaps close to the noise areas where they were living. It helped since there were no odors due to the outter design of bamboo and Nipa which was well ventilated... but not a perfect long term solution. 

We now have a new 2nd story structure with steel roof and no ceiling so I can see the trusses overhead. No enclosed hollows. When they do come around, I  can quickly spot them and put out my live-cage traps at night. 

Its almost impossible to keep all rats and mice out all the  time if you live near rice fields or empty lots with natural  growth on them. After harvest or in times of long rains and flooding they are forced to higher ground, like houses. Rats can climb vertical walls and mice have no problem traveling along beams and rafters even though it looks impassable and impossible to do so. I've seen it happen  more times than I like, and almost believe they have super powers that defy gravity. They are super gymnasts.

They will burrow under your concrete perimeter walls, so keep an eye out for new holes appearing in the enclosed yard. That might be where you would dump a little poison if you can partially cover or block it to prevent your dogs from digging down to it. With a long paper or cardboard funnel, you can put the bait deep. I think the next rains would dissolve it, so you will be injecting god-knows-what in terms of chemicals into the soil, however. Might not be a  great idea, since its just a short term solution.... but whatever you chose to do will be so, IMO. 

I backfill any burrow openings I find, Usually though, they are connected underground and have alternate exits, but it makes me feel better to know that they will have to work harder for entry that way, and maybe move on to easier pickings. If more of the neighbors engage in pest control, it will keep the numbers down, but I doubt many do. Most people just live with them, like they do with other pests here, only taking the trouble to protect their food supply and tolerating the occasional rat, mouse, larger lizards and the like. Snakes are another story though, and people will actively seek them out and kill them.

I trapped out the last invasion two months ago, but whenever I spot one scurrying about on our property, I put out my cage traps and bait them with the garbage leg bones from my chicken dinner, since it is very easy to hang them in the bait crook inside the trapping cage. The bait is only good for the night, since the insects always will manage to get to it and devour it after several hours. Peanut butter works well on snap traps and you can mix in some borax that works well on killing some of the pesky ants and cockroaches that are around.

Two months ago we had an influx of rats, and over 3 nights we trapped 8 of them, and the dog killed 3 more. I'm always happy when we catch the larger, smarter ones since they are the breeders and are usually pretty savy about traps. The younger, smaller ones aren't so clever.  I had two consecutive mornings where there were 2 young rats in the same cage.

Very easy to give them a bath, dropping the cage into a bucket or basin of water, and then casting them into the adjoining fields to return them to the perpetual cycle of nature.

Pest control is a normal part of household maintenance chores for us. It takes a while to perfect your methods, but you do learn what works best for your situation. I used to use spring traps of various designs that I would order on-line from China and Korea (very cheap in cost and delivery, but now rely on the local public market for very inexpensive metal live traps when they rust out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Tommy--if your yard is completely enclosed, eventually you could let your dog run free.

Our two pets/watchdogs have free rein around, and because they are very territorial, they love to vigilantly police and alert us of anything that they don't like. Great "doorbells" too!

Everything looks great Tommy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Tommy--if your yard is completely enclosed, eventually you could let your dog run free.

Our two pets/watchdogs have free rein around, and because they are very territorial, they love to vigilantly police and alert us of anything that they don't like. Great "doorbells" too!

Everything looks great Tommy!

Same with us, plus we keep the doors open to the sea breeze all day so the two dogs can come and go as they please.  Same with the three cats.  At night all the critters sleep out side.   Side note - all animals are spay/neutered so they tend to stay home and we don't have other dogs/cats trying to sneak in paw at the gates.