Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

As a trained locksmith make sure the latch on the gate is what's called a  deadlatch.  Basically there are two snibs that when the gate closes one drops into the keep and the other is held compressed and prevented from dropping into the keep. This effectively locks the latch in the closed position.  If it isn't a thin blade or piece of wire in a hook shape will open the gate in under 2 seconds. It's also handy in that you can lock the gate with a key from the inside so anyone that climbs over your wall and tries to make off with valuables can't just walk out the gate.  

That's a great suggestion, Snowy! I will shop around to see if something like that is available here... So far, it is just a standard lock, but with a protective plate outside the door to prevent or, at least minimize, the chance of jimmying the lock from outside.

Of course, that does not slow down anyone who may have climbed the fence and then wishes to stroll out the gate with stolen goodies in hand. I have pondered a few times about how to prevent that or at least make it difficult. I hope I can find something to work like you show.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I agree.... but I will settle for just one big dog - so many around here already barking so much!

This was the main reason why I gave up and left the city after building Tommy, two large beautiful dogs on a 1 meter lead barking non stop, directly over road from me.  Impossible relax or sleep. 

Yes dogs do help with security, how ever unless trained they are easily poisoned. If people are determined to enter its a challenge. I installed many security lights, ctv and lots of signs advertising same. Oh also made a point of EVERY time a workers payment was due over P500 I always said you must wait as need go ATM as we do not keep funds in house.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, RBM said:

This was the main reason why I gave up and left the city after building Tommy, two large beautiful dogs on a 1 meter lead barking non stop, directly over road from me.  Impossible relax or sleep. 

Yes dogs do help with security, how ever unless trained they are easily poisoned. If people are determined to enter its a challenge. I installed many security lights, ctv and lots of signs advertising same. Oh also made a point of EVERY time a workers payment was due over P500 I always said you must wait as need go ATM as we do not keep funds in house.

You took a lot of sensible precautions, RBM. So far...we don't have the non-stop barking dog syndrome. Even though we don't have an alarm system yet, we inform workers that we have one...

That's a great idea to say that you needed to go to ATM to pay any workers larger amounts... I will start that today!

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Of course, that does not slow down anyone who may have climbed the fence

Our rear yard fence has broken glass bottle pieces cemented into the top (not us, the previous owner), that (or something similar) would tend to deter people climbing over.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Our rear yard fence has broken glass bottle pieces cemented into the top (not us, the previous owner), that (or something similar) would tend to deter people climbing over.

Good idea, Geoff. However, we already have all the fence topped with pointed steel angle bar. I have seen a number of places in Davao that have broken glass set into the tops of fences.

As previously pointed out, if anyone is really determined to invade, all our precautions will do is perhaps slow them down. I do like Snowy's suggestion about that lock which can be set inside or out. That is the one thing that always bothered me - once inside, miscreants can escape out easily. If they gain access to the inside of the home, itself, they might figure out how to operate the electric gate. Lots of "what ifs..."

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

That is the one thing that always bothered me - once inside, miscreants can escape out easily.

Do you really want them stuck inside with you if they do manage a home invasion?

I'd be wanting them to leave personally :hystery:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Do you really want them stuck inside with you if they do manage a home invasion?

I'd be wanting them to leave personally :hystery:

Handy if they send the young kid over the wall to open the gate and let the big guys in. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Handy if they send the young kid over the wall to open the gate and let the big guys in. :thumbsup: 

It has been found & reported that is exactly what they do:whistling:

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

It has been found & reported that is exactly what they do:whistling:

My experience also. I've been to a few burglaries where the TV etc has been left in the garden as there was no easy escape route.  Kids are used also as there's a minimum age of responsibility. Catch a kid in your garden and he was retrieving a ball ( honest ).  He looks around to see if the coast is clear then opens the gate for the adults.

Keep your dog in the house where it won't bark or be poisoned but let the neighbours know that if the security lights come on the dog is released for 5 minutes to finish off anyone trapped in the garden, and giving you time to get your wive's gun out of the safe.

I used to booby trap my property but that's a different story. :whistling:   

• Like 2