Building a Home in Davao

RBM
Posted
Posted

It took six guys to move the solid mahogany bed out of the way.

Appears you still have a remarkable amount of energy Tommy....

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Reboot said:

Thanks for starting this tread Tommy T. I too am starting construction on a Filipino house. We just engaged an architect to start drawing up plans. I've owned a small piece on a beach for about 3 years. The value of the land has doubled in that time. Beautiful view of the pacific. I want to build on it now (at the moment it's just vehicle parking for pamily, a nipa party hut I had built a couple of years ago with electricity for lights and karaoke of course, and my brother in law's fighting cocks). I plan to mine your thread for information, and hopefully I won't make too many expensive mistakes. Again thank you for sharing. I have two children now with my wife, so I look forward to spending time there with them when it is finished. Maybe I'll get old here one day.

20180624_130005.jpg

Wow!!! Lovely beach location! I hope it is high enough from the waterline so that you don't drown during tsunami or inclement weather!

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. I certainly don't have all the answers, or even close, but I might be able to offer a bit of guidance, perhaps...

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's a bit scary...

Yesterday, L had a long conversation with the painters here. Apparently, a British retiree built a home with his Filipina wife a few years ago somewhere not too far away in Davao from here... One night some miscreants used a ladder to scale their very tall (much taller than ours) fence and somehow forced their way inside the house. They found the wife and were forcing her to show them where money was stashed. Sometime during all this, the Brit guy woke up and commenced to challenge and fight the intruders. He was knifed and died.

So the story goes, there was a policeman who lived next door to this family and had recommended another guy as a guard. Well, the guard and the policeman are now suspects since the intruders seemed to know the layout of the home... As a new home, they did not yet have CCTV installed, but it was in the works, apparently. Well... we have our cctv and will shortly install burglar alarms too. We already inform all workers that we have alarms, just to spread the word.

Forgot to include: the painters were briefly considered suspects since they were working on that house at the time of the robbery. That's also how they had the story to relay to us...

As discussed previously on this or other threads, no one can be totally safe, ever, but we are continuing to make our ways to try to be more safe. The neighbourhood seems mostly quiet and okay, but... - as Rosanne Rosanna Danna said - "You just never know..." (or something like that...). I guess that the mean guard dog is the next step. People in this neighbourhood are quite afraid of dogs since there have been some incidents of dog bites from one of the local mutts here... 

Edited by Tommy T.
Add more comment.
  • Like 3

fred
Posted
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

It's a bit scary...

Yesterday, L had a long conversation with the painters here. Apparently, a British retiree built a home with his Filipina wife a few years ago somewhere not too far away in Davao from here... One night some miscreants used a ladder to scale their very tall (much taller than ours) fence and somehow forced their way inside the house. They found the wife and were forcing her to show them where money was stashed. Sometime during all this, the Brit guy woke up and commenced to challenge and fight the intruders. He was knifed and died.

So the story goes, there was a policeman who lived next door to this family and had recommended another guy as a guard. Well, the guard and the policeman are now suspects since the intruders seemed to know the layout of the home... As a new home, they did not yet have CCTV installed, but it was in the works, apparently. Well... we have our cctv and will shortly install burglar alarms too. We already inform all workers that we have alarms, just to spread the word.

As discussed previously on this or other threads, no one can be totally safe, ever, but we are continuing to make our ways to try to be more safe. The neighbourhood seems mostly quiet and okay, but... - as Rosanne Rosanna Danna said - "You just never know..." (or something like that...). I guess that the mean guard dog is the next step. People in this neighbourhood are quite afraid of dogs since there have been some incidents of dog bites from one of the local mutts here... 

Yes. Filipino`s generally are terrified of dogs.
For good measure ,murmurs of an alleged rumour that one of the dogs was an unproven suspected rabies case and you will not see them for dust.
Dogs are a MUST have security item IMO.

Edited by fred
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, fred said:

Dogs are a MUST have security item IMO.

I agree.... but I will settle for just one big dog - so many around here already barking so much!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

It's a bit scary...

Forgot to include: the painters were briefly considered suspects since they were working on that house at the time of the robbery. That's also how they had the story to relay to us...

This story is why we made the compromise of space/privacy for security to live in a gated and guarded community.  Does it guarantee safety - of course not, but it reduces the risk.  I know it's not for everyone though.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

. but I will settle for just one big dog

A small one with tech knowledge will suffice Tom and Cheaper to keep :whistling:

Dogs Bark.jpg

• Haha 5

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

As a trained locksmith make sure the latch on the gate is what's called a  deadlatch.  Basically there are two snibs that when the gate closes one drops into the keep and the other is held compressed and prevented from dropping into the keep. This effectively locks the latch in the closed position.  If it isn't a thin blade or piece of wire in a hook shape will open the gate in under 2 seconds. It's also handy in that you can lock the gate with a key from the inside so anyone that climbs over your wall and tries to make off with valuables can't just walk out the gate.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1