Building a Home in Davao

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jake said:

I experienced similar feelings of accomplishments.  You, being a blue water skipper must have endured and survived storms with waves at mast high level.  And everything is WET.  What a massive relief when you finally anchor at a safe harbor or cove, drinking the local booze and sleeping for the next 72 hrs.  

What is your downtime like while the wife is satisfied with your honey-do list?  In order words, complete freedom to do anything or nothing at all.  How many times have you been invited to a "drinking session"?  Yeah Shipmate, relax and enjoy the view.  I know I would.  Respectfully Jake  

Thanks for your comments, Jake. I always appreciate your thoughts.

Yeah, Jake... There were, indeed, some incredible nasty storms several times when I wished I were anywhere but on the yacht... "Beam me up Scotty.... NOW!!!!" Sailing naked in 30-40+ knots of breeze, thunder and lightning and ridiculous seas on a 40 foot yacht in the middle of nowhere- thousands of miles from nearest land of any type?? Nah...no more!

And more than five hurricanes/typhoons while at anchor - almost as bad mostly and a few times worse! What I really hated was the leaks from the deck - salt water everywhere - uuuggghhh! Almost impossible to really clean up in some of those dark, tiny spaces. And, yes, always nice to settle into a nice, calm anchorage, but I always slept with one eye open or very lightly to feel and hear the wind and sea change for the worst  and possible intruders... All of that happened more than once at night. It was fun for a while, but I am truly over it, although I still love to go for a day sail on somebody else's yacht! At least now the water leaks are fresh water, not briny.

No drinking sessions here because I don't know anyone I would feel comfortable to party with in this neighbourhood. The parok leader says I am the only foreigner in this area...hmmm. My attitude may change after a while. There were several teenagers somewhat casing this home a few days ago - even the neighbours thought their actions were a bit strange - just sitting at the corner with one walking down the fence line. L made it a point to obviously take some photos of the boys and one of them called out to the others, "Turn your faces, she is taking photos!" Does that sound suspicious or what? But now we know what they look like and we will be installing the cctv system this week, hopefully.

Downtime is really that. We are enjoying the - to us - large, 55" TV. Interruptions have all but ceased from our internet connection. The sound bar is brilliant. But late afternoons or early evenings, most local music - if any - stops and it is quiet and peaceful. A nice glass of wine and soft talk about politics, school or next home projects makes for a great way to wind down our days. Mainly, I am just glad that the home construction is virtually complete now. It is also feeling like a home to me - it took two months before that feeling hit me finally.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 1/19/2021 at 4:28 PM, Tommy T. said:

. When we run the air/con in the bedroom at my preferred temperature of about 16 C, and then we open up the room in

especially when we have particular issues - like one of the water heaters (Stiebel/Eltron) stopped working, leaks from the roof, problems with the roof deck water tank float valve...  

Tommy have converted correctly....I mean 16c is blo.....freezing nobody would sleep at 16 unless no choice, we rarely use Air Con, when its 27c and thats just for a a few hours before sleeping.

I was one of the posters recommending Stibel Eltron water heaters, this is the first time I have read about a problem with them, used them for years no issues, sorry to hear this.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RBM said:

I was one of the posters recommending Stibel Eltron water heaters, this is the first time I have read about a problem with them, used them for years no issues, sorry to hear this.

Yeah... I hear you RBM. The water heater was fixed by a local for P300. I thought that was easier and faster than waiting for warranty solution.... It was the smallest one used for the kitchen sink supply... It might be related to the somewhat low water pressure here. But the shower heaters work great still!

I grew up (aged) from Canada and then Seattle. I was always accustomed to very cold air and then snuggling under a light, but warm, feather comforter or quilt. L has a real problem with forced air flow, so we must keep the air/con setting at a low level. I am okay with that. Anyway...it seems to minimize or stop the walls from sweating so it's okay too, with me.

We might just not use the air/con at night, but we don't yet have screens for the sliding door, so don't want to leave that open at night. I think the cool night-time temperatures here may promote sleeping without air/con and I will welcome that. After all...I slept without air/con on the yacht for how many years????

Edited by Tommy T.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... I hear you RBM. The water heater was fixed by a local for P300. I thought that was easier and faster than waiting for warranty solution.... It was the smallest one used for the kitchen sink supply... It might be related to the somewhat low water pressure here. But the shower heaters work great still!

I grew up (aged) from Canada and then Seattle. I was always accustomed to very cold air and then snuggling under a light, but warm, feather comforter or quilt. L has a real problem with forced air flow, so we must keep the air/con setting at a low level. I am okay with that. Anyway...it seems to minimize or stop the walls from sweating so it's okay too, with me.

We might just not use the air/con at night, but we don't yet have screens for the sliding door, so don't want to leave that open at night. I think the cool night-time temperatures here may promote sleeping without air/con and I will welcome that. After all...I slept without air/con on the yacht for how many years????

Bloody hell, Tom 16c is Baltic!  We keep ours at a comfortable for us 27c all year around. In the bedroom it's often too cold even at that - the wife sleeps cowering under the duvet! Everything is down to local environment and personal preference of course but 16c surely cannot be comfortable for your partner?

Sorry about the heater, like RBM I was a supporter of Stlbel Eltron and have had 1.5 years of no issues but there are always rogues or Friday Afternoon items as we call them.  At least it wasn't expensive to fix but may be a recurring problem if it's down to the pressure/water etc - hope not.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

After all...I slept without air/con on the yacht for how many years????

But, when on the hook the bow is always into the wind and those deck hatches are like wind scoops so usually you had air blowing across you.  Some of the best sleeping I've ever had was like that in a protected cove with a light breeze.  :tiphat:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Bloody hell, Tom 16c is Baltic!  We keep ours at a comfortable for us 27c all year around. In the bedroom it's often too cold even at that - the wife sleeps cowering under the duvet! Everything is down to local environment and personal preference of course but 16c surely cannot be comfortable for your partner?

Sorry about the heater, like RBM I was a supporter of Stlbel Eltron and have had 1.5 years of no issues but there are always rogues or Friday Afternoon items as we call them.  At least it wasn't expensive to fix but may be a recurring problem if it's down to the pressure/water etc - hope not.

Maybe, HK... But, when I was growing up in Canada and then later in Seattle, I always had a window open for breeze and loved the cool air. You are right though, L does not appreciate that as much as me. However, her daughter loves the cold from the air/con... go figure...

Yeah... L complains sometimes about the 22C too... She has a real problem with fan blown air or air con fan blown air... But she puts up with it and my extra benefit is that she snuggles closer to me always... I will keep the air cool now forever!!!

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Maybe, HK... But, when I was growing up in Canada and then later in Seattle, I always had a window open for breeze and loved the cool air. You are right though, L does not appreciate that as much as me. However, her daughter loves the cold from the air/con... go figure...

Yeah... L complains sometimes about the 22C too... She has a real problem with fan blown air or air con fan blown air... But she puts up with it and my extra benefit is that she snuggles closer to me always... I will keep the air cool now forever!!!

I'm not a fan of cool air, Tom, but I do love that feeling of getting into a bed with cold, crisp sheets even it doesn't last long.  Never get that here though.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, intrepid said:

But, when on the hook the bow is always into the wind and those deck hatches are like wind scoops so usually you had air blowing across you.  Some of the best sleeping I've ever had was like that in a protected cove with a light breeze.  :tiphat:

Yes... Intrepid...usually had some breeze from the forward hatch. If not, then the low-flow fans did the trick.

I did have so many very restful sleeps that way... but I always slept a bit lightly since I was concerned about wind changes or weather... That is what I really don't miss here. It can blow like hell and there can be a big thunderstorm - like starting right now - and I don't worry any more...

After more than 20 years sailing or anchoring on the yacht, I really did get tired of the stress and constant vigilance required to keep safe always. 

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I'm not a fan of cool air, Tom, but I do love that feeling of getting into a bed with cold, crisp sheets even it doesn't last long.  Never get that here though.  

Well, I am a total fan of cool air, HK... and also love the feeling of getting into bed with the cold, crisp, freshly laundered sheets and my nice, warm, freshly showered honey...

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yes... Intrepid...usually had some breeze from the forward hatch. If not, then the low-flow fans did the trick.

I did have so many very restful sleeps that way... but I always slept a bit lightly since I was concerned about wind changes or weather... That is what I really don't miss here. It can blow like hell and there can be a big thunderstorm - like starting right now - and I don't worry any more...

11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Some of the best sleeping I've ever had was like that in a protected cove with a light breeze.  :tiphat:

I particularly remember anchoring in a protected cove in New Caledonia many years ago... It followed a raucous sail from Vanuatu for a couple of days...

We finally anchored and there was not even a breath of wind, but the temperature was cool. We ran the fans in the V-berth and the only sound I heard was that of my own pulse in my chest... it was really an incredible time that night...

The water in the cove/bay was like glass - not a ripple... I will never forget that time...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 2