Building a Home in Davao

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Let's play Devil's Advocate guys - how many of us would exert ourselves for what, 500php a day (or less) or less in the knowledge that a select group of individuals are living off the fruits of our labour - they don't even provide their workers with the basic tools they need. Using the well-respected McDonald's index, in the UK I'd work maybe 45 minutes to buy my Big Mac lunch set. Here, I'd work 2.5 - 3 hours.

I try (usually without success) when i see poor performance at play here to think along those lines. And, it's not just construction workers we can criticise - I waited almost 30 minutes in Jollibee for our lunch on NY's Eve. Commendable levels of looking busy but doing nothing were on display.

It's how it is here and, sadly, explains partly why the place has slipped from being the jewel in the crown of Asia 3 decades or so ago to where it is now. They simply don't have the spirit to make it better as a nation.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

They simply don't have the spirit to make it better as a nation.

Is it any surprise with the amount of Knocking they get especially on Forums and Topics like this one, mainly from foreigners. One wonders what we would say if these people came into our country and spoke to us like we do here or even tried to change us, Let's think on a little G &G's :wink: 

• Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Is it any surprise with the amount of Knocking they get especially on Forums and Topics like this one, mainly from foreigners. One wonders what we would say if these people came into our country and spoke to us like we do here or even tried to change us, Let's think on a little G &G's :wink: 

Jack, I agree that it's hardly surprising they've lost their spirt but I doubt if the criticism from outside is a significant factor - more likeky the decades of corruption and poor government at all levels.

And, I know that's somehow continuing the pattern you're highlighting but...

To be honest, there has been a fair bit of bashing on this forum the last few days - the topics around friendliness and internet services are never going to end well. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

To be honest, there has been a fair bit of bashing on this forum the last few days - the topics around friendliness and internet services are never going to end well. 

So it is up to us because what we allow will continue as it does on Facebook and other lower forms of Forums, we have always tried to be one step ahead and better than the Gutter Forums and or other Social Media IMHO :shades: sometimes the Bandwagon needs to be inspected for Problems :56da632e94212_1(60):

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

So it is up to us because what we allow will continue as it does on Facebook and other lower forms of Forums, we have always tried to be one step ahead and better than the Gutter Forums and or other Social Media IMHO :shades: sometimes the Bandwagon needs to be inspected for Problems :56da632e94212_1(60):

Indeed Jack. The problem with bandwagons is they are so easy to jump on.

But, ultimately we choose to be here and I suppose the positives must outweigh the negatives - they do for me. If not, then it's time to rethink.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Indeed Jack. The problem with bandwagons is they are so easy to jump on.

Exactly my Point! but why do so many do it?

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Exactly my Point! but why do so many do it?

I think many would want to jump this band... err wagon :whistling:

Edited by GeoffH
  • Haha 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

It's a fine balance between being disrespectful and highlighting actual occurencies. I know for a fact that if I hadn't read negative stories I'd have been taken to the cleaners many times.  We are in the Philippines after all and trying to give new members an insight into life here. 

I've had more than my fair share of bad treatment here but I'd never tar all locals with the same brush.  I get the fact that they don't have the same trade schools and colleges that many have experienced or access to the best tools and materials so there will be a difference in what I'm used to but atleast now I'm forewarned.  I'm from a technial background in the military where you are selected and promoted on your abilities and my Regt selected from the top 10% of entrants, I'm bound to see a negative difference here. Remember we have a term " Cowboy builders " in the West also which being warned about has saved many people heartaches.

A lot of the things that have saved me money has been advice from locals who told me the negative things about certain workers and businesses.  A few including my partner has laughed in my face for being so stupid as to fall for some of the tricks from swapping spare parts on my motorcycle, stealing phone parts and buying prawns where the seller scoops up lots of water when selecting the prawns to weigh.  Let's be honest who with a partner hasn't been told to hide out of the way when shopping as you'll get White nose tax?  That's coming from a Filipino. In the West the worst that has happened to me was to pay for a service on a vehicle to find one part not replaced. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

It's a fine balance between being disrespectful and highlighting actual occurencies.

I agree! so can we say it is not what we say but how we say it? That can make a big difference. :shades: 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I appreciate all of the posts regarding productivity and value and commitment of the various vendors and member's experiences.

L and I are just very pleased to have gotten the value out of our build here and to have a decent and comfortable place we can call home. No.... it's a long way from perfect and also, in perspective, a long way from ideal and even competent depending on your viewpoint. But it will work for us and we will deal with it and make it the best we can... what more can you do?

I am pleased to report that I received my latest electric power bill...

Pleased, you say? Yes... When we were living in the apartment and using mostly only the bedroom window air/con unit and a bit of electric heat and, of course, the lights... we were often paying 4.5-5k+/month.

So I was a bit shocked to see the latest invoice of just over 3k for a month. And we have been using a fair amount of electric for water heating in showers and kitchen sink. And, of course, the air/con in the bedroom running down to 16 degrees at night and sometimes running the air/con in the living room or office too for L's school seminars or just because it felt too damn hot!.

So, the point I am making here now is that the inverter, split/type air/con units seem to be making a big difference in our energy usage. Sure...some of this could be the location and design of our home - in an orchard area with shade early and late and good awnings too? - but anyway, we are delighted with our energy bill...so far. The water bill is a bit higher, but then we are rinsing down the driveway and car (no need to wash since the road is so muddy) and doing lots of laundry...

Life is good!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4