Building a Home in Davao

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Tommy, seems you are at the end of your build with the contractor.  As you know your home will never be done.  You will always find little upgrades, repairs, and additions to make it more comfortable as you move along living in your new home.  Not to worry, these will usually be easier than the build partly because you have learned so much during the process.  Also with your skills you may find some things just easier if you do them yourself.  As for your over run costs that is in line with what most would expect,..me included.  However, as I mentioned in my build topic I was so pleasantly surprised that we made some changes after construction and the builder added many extras that we did not even ask for which there was no added costs at the end of the build.  Some suggested my contract price was may have been inflated to cover these.  I don't think so and calculated the final cost per square meter at ~p22300.  the quality of our build is not the highest but it is up there and short of some rusting gutters after almost 4 years have never had to have the builder back since complete.  Another thought,... I was thinking maybe your timing was actually good building during the pandemic.  Sure, some time was lost but at least it kept you busy and away from boredom with all the lock downs and restrictions. Relax now and try to get the punch out list done little by little.   Well done!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted (edited)

Maraming salamat for the info Tommy!!

We will see how it will go with our planned renovation. Was supposed to be in the middle of it, right now, but as everybody knows, this year didn´t follow any plans. Hope to be in the Phillipines by september or october 2021 instead :thumbsup:

Take care and keep safe 

Edited by Viking
spelling
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I appreciate everyone's comments and advice... None of it will be forgotten...

But I will extend my earlier comment... any of you are welcome to visit at any time and, if we have space available, you can stay for a short while. If alcohol is available... I'll still buy the beer...

Thanks all for your comments, compliments and advice!

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, intrepid said:

Tommy, seems you are at the end of your build with the contractor.  As you know your home will never be done.  You will always find little upgrades, repairs, and additions to make it more comfortable as you move along living in your new home.  Not to worry, these will usually be easier than the build partly because you have learned so much during the process.  Also with your skills you may find some things just easier if you do them yourself.  As for your over run costs that is in line with what most would expect,..me included.  However, as I mentioned in my build topic I was so pleasantly surprised that we made some changes after construction and the builder added many extras that we did not even ask for which there was no added costs at the end of the build.  Some suggested my contract price was may have been inflated to cover these.  I don't think so and calculated the final cost per square meter at ~p22300.  the quality of our build is not the highest but it is up there and short of some rusting gutters after almost 4 years have never had to have the builder back since complete.  Another thought,... I was thinking maybe your timing was actually good building during the pandemic.  Sure, some time was lost but at least it kept you busy and away from boredom with all the lock downs and restrictions. Relax now and try to get the punch out list done little by little.   Well done!

Yeah... I will probably be the one to make some improvements some time down the line. Right now, we need to just let the contractor finish up or else we might be accused of doing something that messes up the original build contract? Supposedly, we have a one year warranty on the build and - as far as I am concerned - the end of the build has not really started yet... This will be interesting to see how it develops.

For me, it is not just about the contract and money, but integrity too.

RBM
Posted
Posted

Interesting Tommy, when I completed the build 5 years ago , biggest by far hassle was the windows. Further we had open out french doors which were pretty much unknown. Like yourself huge cost over runs plus quality issues, a true head ache.

If ever (most unlikely) was to build again one thing is sure. I would spend much more time on the plan, to the extent of trying to find a close to identical place, go through it ensure it fulfilled our requirements.  Once we make adjustments during the build a big can of worms opens.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, RBM said:

Interesting Tommy, when I completed the build 5 years ago , biggest by far hassle was the windows. Further we had open out french doors which were pretty much unknown. Like yourself huge cost over runs plus quality issues, a true head ache.

If ever (most unlikely) was to build again one thing is sure. I would spend much more time on the plan, to the extent of trying to find a close to identical place, go through it ensure it fulfilled our requirements.  Once we make adjustments during the build a big can of worms opens.

Yeah... I hear you and agree 100%. 

Anything constructed here that is "non-standard" or a bit different becomes a major headache and hassle...

Your idea sounds good to me! Every time we changed something to improve or design to our ideas caused incredible issues most of the time - and, of course, cost more... The most difficult part, actually, was finding alternative products to install, but finding workers to do the work was also a big hassle...

This was not like any construction in USA and probably not like in many other countries. It was, overall, a major hassle and I would never repeat it. (How many times to tell someone to just "place that here," (or similar instruction). Then it would take 10 minutes of translation and discussion between worker or foreman and L... and it still might not be right...)

• Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

Further we had open out french doors which were pretty much unknown.

As I mentioned somewhere around here, we had a sun room built.  We wanted double French doors but when I asked the contractor (who was both excellent and honest) he said he had no experience of them as sliders were always used.  He said he certainly could give it a go but... We decided not to take the chance as I'd prefer a perfect 2nd option to an imperfect 1st! 

That's probably my biggest takeaway from projects I've had done here - stick to what they know if you want a more than average result.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

. We decided not to take the chance as I'd prefer a perfect 2nd option to an imperfect 1st! 

That was a wise decision, certainly the most stressful of a stressful 12 month build. When finally done after at least 4 times of being replaced and re done I was very happy. 

Was it worth it? At the time no, with hind site yes, would I ever do it again.....NO 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/29/2020 at 8:25 AM, RBM said:

I think that the most irritating part of the window installations is that these are all "standard" windows provided by Philips Glass. We could choose the lowest grade standard - which is what you find in most homes here - middle grade or highest grade.

The highest grade are definitely commercial quality, like you would find in an office building or very high rent apartment or condo. These are world class and as good or better than you might find in USA or other so-called first world countries.

We chose the middle grade, which are much better than the standard grade and we saved a lot of money over the highest - maybe 40%? We did opt for the highest grade for the two sliding doors. They really are solid, do not rattle in wind and we can tell that they are top quality. And they cost a fortune - over P170,000.....EACH!!!

As you posted before... were they worth it? Yeah, I guess... But would I get those again? Probably not. Would I buy from this vendor again? Definately not!!!

But the company told us it would take about a week from actual measurements at the home before actual installation. This included mozzie screens on all windows. Well... that was over four months ago and we are still lacking screens on the sliders and two other windows. They send installation crews out maybe every week or two. Then they find that their measurements are not correct so re-measure and return to their office. 

They have many contracted installers, none of whom are actual employees of the firm. I have lost count of how many different ones that have been here - maybe 8 or 10? Only one team seemed to really know what they are doing. None of them or the main office contacted us before coming out to try to perform some work. If we were away, then they would be wasting a trip. I lost count of how many times I told the main office to have them text or call us the day before or, at least, when on the way, to make sure we would be home.

The company cannot be making a profit from what I see, even with their high prices. There is so much wasted worker time a ton of wasted materials. The owner/manager does not seem to be a good manager. They have some fancy, glossy brochures bragging about their windows in a number of high-rise buildings... So maybe their efforts are concentrated there rather than residential? But they were very eager to have our business. So, like in so many other issues with our build, I do not have answers, only observations and a bit of experience to share here. Hopefully that may help someone in the future?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I think that the most irritating part of the window installations is that these are all "standard" windows provided by Philips Glass. We could choose the lowest grade standard - which is what you find in most homes here - middle grade or highest grade.

The highest grade are definitely commercial quality, like you would find in an office building or very high rent apartment or condo. These are world class and as good or better than you might find in USA or other so-called first world countries.

We chose the middle grade, which are much better than the standard grade and we saved a lot of money over the highest - maybe 40%? We did opt for the highest grade for the two sliding doors. They really are solid, do not rattle in wind and we can tell that they are top quality. And they cost a fortune - over P170,000.....EACH!!!

As you posted before... were they worth it? Yeah, I guess... But would I get those again? Probably not. Would I buy from this vendor again? Definately not!!!

But the company told us it would take about a week from actual measurements at the home before actual installation. This included mozzie screens on all windows. Well... that was over four months ago and we are still lacking screens on the sliders and two other windows. They send installation crews out maybe every week or two. Then they find that their measurements are not correct so re-measure and return to their office. 

They have many contracted installers, none of whom are actual employees of the firm. I have lost count of how many different ones that have been here - maybe 8 or 10? Only one team seemed to really know what they are doing. None of them or the main office contacted us before coming out to try to perform some work. If we were away, then they would be wasting a trip. I lost count of how many times I told the main office to have them text or call us the day before or, at least, when on the way, to make sure we would be home.

The company cannot be making a profit from what I see, even with their high prices. There is so much wasted worker time a ton of wasted materials. The owner/manager does not seem to be a good manager. They have some fancy, glossy brochures bragging about their windows in a number of high-rise buildings... So maybe their efforts are concentrated there rather than residential? But they were very eager to have our business. So, like in so many other issues with our build, I do not have answers, only observations and a bit of experience to share here. Hopefully that may help someone in the future?

I'm sure you probably have the same impression as me, Tom.  The expression "you get what you pay for" here is only true to a point.  Sure, pay a little and you'll get a little, pay a lot you may get a lot! 

I often feel that when we pay a very high premium it's not so much for the quality as much the lack of availability and/or the simple fact if you can afford it you can afford to pay more for it. The 1st factor is fair, the 2nd not so much IMO.

• Like 1