Building a Home in Davao

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm unlucky when it comes to getting jobs done here sadly. I'm at the stage where I'm buying tools and doing things myself. I know it sounds negative but from the standard of workmanship, time keeping, and use of bad materials I'd hate to run a business here. It's not just me I have many friends both foreign and local that tell me the same. 

Is this mainly related to your Boracay experience, Snowy?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

Is this mainly related to your Boracay experience, Snowy?

Puerto Galera, Coron and Boracay.  My ex assures me down near Moalboal where she lives is as bad.  She was laughing at me for being stupid enough to leave my vehicles at the repair shop without watching them. She says it's very common for them to replace batteries, shocks and tyres with old ones. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm unlucky when it comes to getting jobs done here sadly. I'm at the stage where I'm buying tools and doing things myself. I know it sounds negative but from the standard of workmanship, time keeping, and use of bad materials I'd hate to run a business here. It's not just me I have many friends both foreign and local that tell me the same. 

Mate, sometimes you're just better off building your own shack, YOUR way.

I have, and I have had NO roof leaks . That's 4 years so far... :smile:

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Puerto Galera, Coron and Boracay.  My ex assures me down near Moalboal where she lives is as bad.  She was laughing at me for being stupid enough to leave my vehicles at the repair shop without watching them. She says it's very common for them to replace batteries, shocks and tyres with old ones. 

Most expats Snowy have had same experience, I built a house but never again, at times one just shakes their head.

Example we were in Triumph hardware buying a sink recently, my partner spotted a toaster there which we required also. I said ensure they test it......Three of them crowded around to test it...plug went in did not work......One of these brain dead zombies put his fingers inside of toaster on wire elements to check....while plug in.........    

Not all of us are in a position do the work ourselves, be it health related, laziness or just to senior......When we finally find an installer here I shall set a price and just go an have a beer during installation, yes gona return to probable find the facet upside down or what ever....

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Thanks - Whilst problems are all around us, I wonder if the quality of work is even worse in the tourist areas due to the more transient nature of workers and even property owners there?  

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Thanks - Whilst problems are all around us, I wonder if the quality of work is even worse in the tourist areas due to the more transient nature of workers and even property owners there?  

I'd hazzard a guess the mobile phone issues are down to them thinking I'm a tourist and by the time I've discovered they have taken parts I'll be in my home country.  As for labourers I think from observation Filipinos are quick to catch onto ideas for making money.  You open a nice coffee shop that's doing well then they'll set a stall up 20ft away selling coffee for half the price. Their mate gets a semi decent wage as a tradesman they'll persuade them to get them a job and hope to pick up some skills along the way.

There's a certain culture here that fortunately is slowly changing. There's no doubt when it comes to certain jobs they work harder than most in the West but they don't work smarter.  I've had a few business discussion with the locals over ways to improve their earnings.  Little things like trying to convince a builder to invest in a cement mixer and Jack Hammer, the usual reply is labour is cheap but I show them on paper that a cement mixer would mean cutting labour times by 75% and the Jack Hammer probably even more.  The savings on labour would pay for the tools in a month and enable them to take on more contracts so the workers wouldn't actually lose out but most are happy with the feast and famine approach. Even trying to convince them they can rent out the tools if no work draws a blank stare.  

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

I'd hazzard a guess the mobile phone issues are down to them thinking I'm a tourist and by the time I've discovered they have taken parts I'll be in my home country.  As for labourers I think from observation Filipinos are quick to catch onto ideas for making money.  You open a nice coffee shop that's doing well then they'll set a stall up 20ft away selling coffee for half the price. Their mate gets a semi decent wage as a tradesman they'll persuade them to get them a job and hope to pick up some skills along the way.

There's a certain culture here that fortunately is slowly changing. There's no doubt when it comes to certain jobs they work harder than most in the West but they don't work smarter.  I've had a few business discussion with the locals over ways to improve their earnings.  Little things like trying to convince a builder to invest in a cement mixer and Jack Hammer, the usual reply is labour is cheap but I show them on paper that a cement mixer would mean cutting labour times by 75% and the Jack Hammer probably even more.  The savings on labour would pay for the tools in a month and enable them to take on more contracts so the workers wouldn't actually lose out but most are happy with the feast and famine approach. Even trying to convince them they can rent out the tools if no work draws a blank stare.  

I think the fundamental point is we (foreigners and locals)simply don't see things in the same way - a 300php per day labourer is predictable whilst investing in equipment requires a leap of faith to some extent - if work dries up (which it did earlier during lockdowns) then they can simply stop paying the labourer but they are stuck with the equipment.  I'm not trying to defend or justify their ways, it's just I can see why they aren't willing to move forward on some things. Also, it's a communist kind of thinking that keeping people in work (even if the work is not required) is good for the country. 

I have seen some movement on this in the 6 years I've been here but it's painfully slow.  Just as painful as watching a guy chip out a hole for an a/c unit in a block wall when a cutter would do the job in 1/4 of the time! 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hahaha... back to the topic at hand...

We still have some roof leaks, but the contractor will have someone take care of them.

There is a myriad of other issues, but the contractor and foreman have commited to remedy them all.

I agree with some posts in other topics that the workmanship here does not seem to be the greatest. However, the contractor we have was recommended by a very well placed familiy here in Davao so we are certain that any issues will be addressed properly. Things are working out, but just not at the pace I might expect in USA. But that's okay...I am not in USA so will roll with the punches...

We have two of the workers from the original home build working directly for us now, with the contractor's blessing...

They have been constructing our new lanai off the living room... They are doing a good job and at least one of us (usually me) is here to supervise. They are doing a great job and this lanai will be so solid!

20201217_144911_resized.jpg

It has a nice trellis/roof designed by L overtop. It won't stop the sideways rains, but will stop most rain and sun.

20201217_144529_resized.jpg

The boys are good workers and follow instructions well, when directed. To the left is the foreman for the entire home build and to the right is his next best worker. Neither is a journeyman worker, but they are good at plumbing, cement work and carpentry - when directed!

This small deck is going to be soooo cool!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 4

KC813
Posted
Posted

Looking at that 2nd picture, is that metal framing for the deck?  And 1 1/2" decking material?  Looks like a pretty solid structure!  With the overhead trellis, what are your plans for utilizing this space?

I have really enjoying living through you on this build.  If you don't publish this record you created electronically or in book form, you're missing a great opportunity!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Just a quick observation Tommy. To me it looks like a good access point for a burglar with the roof of the decking being so close to the fence.  Seeing how locals get coconuts I think the average one could have access easily to your upstairs windows in seconds. 

I'd also fit some guttering to catch the rain from the roof and divert it away to maybe a water butt for watering the gardening. 

deck.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1