Building a Home in Davao

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yes... Maybe... But so far so good and the boys are fine with it. Fortunately there is no wind today... And Jake is not here to pee into it either!:tiphat:

It's an expression Tom.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's an expression Tom.  :thumbsup:

I know.... The boys are pleased and proud of their work. I will pay them a bit extra when they are done. To me, reward someome who does well... maybe it will resound with them?

I can't help myself... I am upbeat and positive about this work now and the boys are responding and also positive...

IMG-20201221-WA0000_resized.jpeg

I even loaned them some of my hand tools.... I NEVER do that! But with these guys, I do. They are careful and respectful of my tools and I totally respect that!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I will pay them a bit extra when they are done. To me, reward someome who does well... maybe it will resound with them?

Now you're talking Tom.  

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Meanwhile my run of not so good tradesmen continues.  About a month ago I had a puncture on my rear tyre of my motorcycle and took it to the vulcanising shop.  He was going to repair it but I told him just fit a new tyre and tube as the tyre tread was getting low and there will be less chance of another flat.  I watched him get a new tube and tyre then went to get load for my phone.  On return there was a nice new tyre and off I set.  Two days ago I got another puncture but as it was outside my house I figured I'd just remove the wheel and take the tube out.  On removing the tube you guessed it, the old tube with a repair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 12/21/2020 at 5:51 PM, Snowy79 said:

Meanwhile my run of not so good tradesmen continues.  About a month ago I had a puncture on my rear tyre of my motorcycle and took it to the vulcanising shop.  He was going to repair it but I told him just fit a new tyre and tube as the tyre tread was getting low and there will be less chance of another flat.  I watched him get a new tube and tyre then went to get load for my phone.  On return there was a nice new tyre and off I set.  Two days ago I got another puncture but as it was outside my house I figured I'd just remove the wheel and take the tube out.  On removing the tube you guessed it, the old tube with a repair.

Ha... getting off topic how ever had to have a wheel changed recently. The knucklehead proceeded with the X wheel brace and a half meter extension.....this on a chevi spin....before I could react he broke one wheel stud.....managed to intervene before the next broke. Took the extension off him and a massive argument ensured, what really pissed me was my partner kept saying relax they know best.......

So its not just you Snowy.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Tommy this has been a great read, in fact should be made compulsory reading for any newby complementing a house build.    perhaps a few may change their mind.

Well done enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted

Your house looks really great Tommy and I am happy you have finally finished it.

If you excuse, I am a bit curious how it ended up financially? Where you on budget or 5-10-20 % above?

From my experience it is usually hard to stay within budget, but it would be interesting to know in what areas it was exceeded (if it was). Materials, labour, appliances, permits, furnitures, gardening etc?

I am ofcorse not asking how much you paid for everything, it´s more to get an idea on what parts it could be wise to calculate with a bigger budget.

Hope you had a great Christmas in the new house and advanced Happy New Year to you and L! 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Viking said:

Your house looks really great Tommy and I am happy you have finally finished it.

If you excuse, I am a bit curious how it ended up financially? Where you on budget or 5-10-20 % above?

From my experience it is usually hard to stay within budget, but it would be interesting to know in what areas it was exceeded (if it was). Materials, labour, appliances, permits, furnitures, gardening etc?

I am ofcorse not asking how much you paid for everything, it´s more to get an idea on what parts it could be wise to calculate with a bigger budget.

Hope you had a great Christmas in the new house and advanced Happy New Year to you and L! 

Thanks for your kind words, Viking.

Well, the final figures aren't in yet but here's the best I can say:

The contractors referred to us as "picky." Well, maybe so, but we just could not settle for Philippine Standard in many cases.

I would guess we overran maybe 20%-25%, maybe even a bit more? The windows were a killer - about 15% or more of the total cost. And we contracted them separately from the rest of the build.

Materials were always higher than anticipated. Sometimes it is because we specified better than "standard." This happened in my USA home years ago too. I just can't settle for standard in many cases - door locks, doors, windows, tiles, curtains...

Labour was about what we expected.

However, after we got started and could walk around the premises to get a feel for the spaces, we knew right away that we needed to add a laundry and dirty kitchen area - ka-ching!

We also changed the downstairs CR from being inside the rather boxy design of the home to, instead, be external - almost an add-on - ka-ching!

The lanai was totally on our cost - ka-ching, ka-ching!

Appliances were a bit of a killer too... always around P25,000 except microwave. But we wanted good appliances - Panasonic, Technogas. The aircon units were also our cost and Panasonic, again, proved to us to be the best quality and value for us. Of course, inverter/split-type added up. We bought all appliances at either Emcor or Abensons because they install and/or service what they sell. SM appliance prices were similar or a bit higher, but then you contact a "service center" if you need service. Also Emcor and Abensons employees knew more about their products than the dozens wandering around the SM store who didn't seem to know much of anything. Obviously, nobody gets paid commission, so why extend themselves?

Furniture is expensive too. Mandaue Foam generally had the best quality - SM Home Store was much more expensive and had little stock - basically a joke. And their staff also wandered around and talked to each other but knew nothing.

Stereo, TV and microwave from Abensons. Not always the cheapest, but they knew their stuff and had nice selection of quality goods.

Gardening hasn't happened yet.

Permits...another joke. It took over a year to get an electrical permit and 9 months to get the water permit. The contractor was the one to obtain these and he had no idea what he was doing. He told us up front that he "had friends," who would grease things through. A while ago, I advised him to find new friends as these did him and us no favours. But the costs were not high for permits, they just took forever and continually got bogged down in local bureaucracy....

And thanks for the Chirstmas and New Year's wishes! Same to you and yours. And stay healthy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1