Food

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jerry921 said:

I'll take that as a genuine question about what else I'm worried about. I don't like bugs and snakes much. I'm not going to skimp on the pesticides around the house. I'd rather get cancer in 30 years than live with 3" cockroaches now. 

Actually as I said the Philippines checks a lot of my boxes. A major one is I would like to be close to or on the beach, but it

Others may disagree with me, but I have been surprised how few insects I see here.  Ants and cockroaches we have in abundance, yes.  Mosquitos, no more than where I lived stateside.  No gnats.  Few bees that I ever notice, which seems strange actually.  Snakes....honestly I've seen one or two in the last year.  Probably depends on where you are.  Wife likes to joke that I'm always spraying ants.  It was really funny when another foreigner moved in next to us and does the same the thing ;)  

On your food question, my comments would echo those you've already read here.  But I can recommend BALI as a place with great food.  Very international due to the tourism.  Way more cars than the roads can handle, I guess they have had a lot of tourist growth in the last 10 years (so I'm told).  But the food there was really outstanding, with an amazing ethnic variety. 

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I get the impression from a lot of my wife's friends the reason the average food it poor is that basically many of them can't cook. Find a filipina that can and it's a different world.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Balisidar
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay... I will stick my neck out here a bit.

I am okay with a lot of Filipino foods - adobo, pancit, lechon (roast pork), kinilaw (! my absolute favourite - similar to poisin cru), ampalaya and many others which names I cannot remember, but soups, shrimp, yellowfin tuna (always fresh but pricey now at about US$11/kilo, so $5/pound? Find that in USA!) among others. There is actually quite a variety but many of them seem a bit similar to my taste. Sorry, boys, but I really do like a lot of these foods...

For me, I just don't want them for every meal. I love the pork, can leave the rice mostly (trying to keep to low-carb diet). I am learning how to cook some of the local foods - it's part of the experience! Pork, chicken, soy sauce, carbs are some of the main foods. It's not like the relatively lighter foods in Mexico. The local beer (San Miguel) is wonderful, spirits are cheap, wines moderately to high priced depending on source and quality, of course.

And Jerry... there are lots of places that make burgers - some better than others - you would just need to try them out and see what works for you. Prices and quality and taste will vary... As Graham said, you could learn how to cook at least something? Creating your own superburger is pretty simple and not at all expensive. My SO, L loves the burritos I make - they are one of her favourite foods and, again, not difficult to prepare.

Cook something like that for a pretty Filipina and you might very well either get lucky or find a potential spouse!:56da64a571a25_7_4_171:

Good luck to you! 

I'm with you Tommy.  Add sisig and Bulalo to that list and the fresh seafood that is awesome.  Philippine food is a little bland at times but the foods you mentioned are great.  Also, believe it or not Philippine food is starting to trend here in the US.  Many well known Filipino cooks are upscaling the recipes.

And like people in here have said to Jerry921.  Learn to cook.  It's not only cheaper but healthier also.

Jerry921, good luck whatever you decide.

Edited by Balisidar
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gary D said:

I get the impression from a lot of my wife's friends the reason the average food it poor is that basically many of them can't cook. Find a filipina that can and it's a different world.

Adding to that is the fact most either will not or can not buy the better ingredients to prepare a good dish.  I cannot count how many times my wife's friends ask how to make a dish they enjoy of hers after a party or get-together.  Later after attempting to make it she gets another call saying they used her recipes and directions, but the dish just did not taste as good.  Seems they try to substitute some ingredients for cheaper ones.  :whistling:

• Like 2

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Except Jeepneys, tricycles, taxis, Toyota Fortuners, motorcycles or drunks... the rest of us drive on the right... mostly...:hystery: But sometimes on the sidewalks too...

And don't forget the English that forget where they are!:hystery:

• Haha 2
  • I'm Confused 1

Hobbit112
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Balisidar said:

Philippine food is a little bland at times but the foods you mentioned are great. 

For those that say the food is bland you must not be using the sow-sow on the table!  There usually is soy sauce, spiced vinegar, calamansi  and spicy bird's eye chilis supplied to season the food to your liking.  Remember this isn't hoit cusine and you can adjust the seasoning to your liking without insulting the chef!

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay... I will stick my neck out here a bit.

I am okay with a lot of Filipino foods - adobo, pancit, lechon (roast pork), kinilaw (! my absolute favourite - similar to poisin cru), ampalaya and many others which names I cannot remember, but soups, shrimp, yellowfin tuna (always fresh but pricey now at about US$11/kilo, so $5/pound? Find that in USA!) among others. There is actually quite a variety but many of them seem a bit similar to my taste. Sorry, boys, but I really do like a lot of these foods...

I am also ok with these foods, I think it`s  more about how they are served and the service which goes with it. Cold food fly's everywhere and rats running around in the kitchen. Your meal served to you and your partners served 10 minutes later. I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and the Adobo was fantastic and warm the only time in 8 years when I have enjoyed eating at a function. It is always in the back of my mind that if I eat at one of these local get together s will I end up ill.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I am also ok with these foods, I think it`s  more about how they are served and the service which goes with it. Cold food fly's everywhere and rats running around in the kitchen. Your meal served to you and your partners served 10 minutes later. I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and the Adobo was fantastic and warm the only time in 8 years when I have enjoyed eating at a function. It is always in the back of my mind that if I eat at one of these local get together s will I end up ill.

Good points Sonjack...

L or her relatives will cook a meal and then we don't eat it for maybe an hour or later and it is cold. I prefer to eat my food hot and fresh. I am sure that cold food is part of the reason some of us get sick. Maybe that's an American thing?

Yesterday, I was shopping at a nearby SM and was disgusted when I saw a large rat scamper from the meat department to the freezer section right in front of me. But, it did remind me of Mexico...hahaha...

• Like 1

"P2"
Posted
Posted

Honestly, I love Filipino food! I met my filipina wife on the island of Oahu, Hawaii when I was on vacation there back in 2015 and my first exposure to Filipino food was at a Max's of Manila Filipino Restaurant we would go to there. The food was fantastic and I got hooked immediately on Lechon Kawali Sisig!  Since  that time we make at home: Pancit Canton, Kare Kare, Pinacbet, Chicken or Pork Adobo, Biko, Casva Cake and many others. I think Filipino food is delicious! I'm Greek and she has fallen in love with Greek food, so it's been a good trade off. She also really likes the "smoked" meats that I make on our smoker... ie.. Pulled pork, Beef and Pork ribs...etc. It will be very interesting when we go to the Philippines next year to see what locally prepared food is like.

• Like 3

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

One of the episodes of Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" TV show took place in the Philippines. He gave a good review to Jollibee. I wonder how much they paid him.

• Haha 2