Food

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, JDDavao said:

I think a lot of what Bourdain did was in the spirit of "For what it is". I have found it's best to look at food here in the same vein.

As a New Jersey native, I've had much better pizza than I can get at Greenwich. But, for what it is, sauce and stuff on dough, Greenwich is good. Master Siomai in the grocery store food area isn't the best Chinese dim sum I've had, but for grocery store food court siomai? It's good. And so on.

I have to make that very clear in my restaurant review videos - and people still miss it.  I will say 'For a p250 Filipino steak... it is pretty good'.   Then someone will comment that it does not compare to a $30 Texas steak.  Yeah... it won't ha ha.   You do have to adjust your expectations here.

And yes, Greenwich is a decent pie, for what it is.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Greenwich is a decent pie, for what it is.

No way.  Not ever.  They could not pay me to eat it.  Seriously.  When I have had the misfortune of ordering it I would quite happily pay to leave that crap on the table and leave the place.  But to each their own.  Did you notice that the number of foreigners eating a Greenwich pizza are extremely low?

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

No way.  Not ever.  They could not pay me to eat it.  Seriously.  When I have had the misfortune of ordering it I would quite happily pay to leave that crap on the table and leave the place.  But to each their own.  Did you notice that the number of foreigners eating a Greenwich pizza are extremely low?

Don't hold back or sugar coat it Dave, tell us what you really think. :hystery::hystery::hystery:

• Haha 5

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Did you notice that the number of foreigners eating a Greenwich pizza are extremely low?

No, all the foreigners I know eat it. Every foreigner I know agrees that it is not a great pie, but for what it is... it is not bad. 

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

We have  a small Greenwich place in the next town. 

Very passable I'd say.  

No doubt standards will vary between branches/franchises of course.  

I do only eat out maybe once a month though. 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

all the foreigners I know eat it

Well that has me curious because all the foreigners I know have never eaten it within my view.  So I started a poll.  Just for fun.  To see who really eats it.

• Haha 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Agreed about better in USA. Best pizza I had was at Aurelio's in Chicago. But Northlake Tavern in Seattle was outstanding too...

There was a place on the 80th Street NW end of 5th avenue that boasted "New York Style" pizza. It was true. They closed within a year. 

I ate a lot of pizza from Post Alley Pizza when I had Piers 55 & 56. I thought it was good.

Just looking now, I see a whole bunch of places that didn't exist or that I never got around to trying when I lived there. There's room for everyone at the table, I guess. :smile:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

Just looking now, I see a whole bunch of places that didn't exist or that I never got around to trying when I lived there. There's room for everyone at the table, I guess. :smile:

Did you ever go to Hungry U or Picollo's both on University Avenue back in the late 70's?

Another favourite from 80's until present day is the take and bake Papa Murphy's (formerly Papa Aldo's)...

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
On 9/21/2019 at 6:24 AM, Mike J said:

Maybe mystery meat was on sale that day

:hystery: What like this do you Mean?

Filipino Frozen.jpg :whistling:

• Haha 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted