Sockets

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, jimeve said:

image.jpeg

I like the thickness of those prongs. Everything is so flimsy in the US and elsewhere.

• Like 5

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Why would Steve need a transformer...

So he can have a robot and a car, mate! 

513uqfSqUoL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I woukd not go and use adaptors guys , stuff like that increases the risk of fire as do extension cords 

The UK type of plug and sockets also incorporates a safety flap , you cannot stick a two pin plug into a uk socket unless you overide the safety feature 

This is our regs book , we install to this standard 

15729539122592107335122761180452.jpg

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JDDavao said:

I like the thickness of those prongs. Everything is so flimsy in the US and elsewhere.

Don't forget the US type plugs are designed for 110v use which is inherently safer than 230v. Makes my mind boggle using them on 230v.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gary D said:

If you only had two sockets in the whole house chances are they are wired opposite.

I'm sure if I had only 3 they would find a way to wire each of them differently! 

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jimeve said:

I noticed my wifes sewing machine from the UK was running slow, then eventually stopped working. UK electric is 50hz.

My wife has started to show the same problem Jim, It's only a matter of time before she too stops working!  

• Haha 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bastonjock said:

I woukd not go and use adaptors guys , stuff like that increases the risk of fire as do extension cords 

The UK type of plug and sockets also incorporates a safety flap , you cannot stick a two pin plug into a uk socket unless you overide the safety feature 

This is our regs book , we install to this standard 

15729539122592107335122761180452.jpg

I know you are right, Baston, but sometimes it's just unavoidable - or at least damn difficult without.  Adaptors I do not use as I really don't trust them but I do use power bars.  In my LR I have 2 sockets near the TV area - I need 4!  I try to buy good quality power bars and do check the load but still not the absolutely best I know.  

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I know you are right, Baston, but sometimes it's just unavoidable - or at least damn difficult without.  Adaptors I do not use as I really don't trust them but I do use power bars.  In my LR I have 2 sockets near the TV area - I need 4!  I try to buy good quality power bars and do check the load but still not the absolutely best I know.  

I also have just a double socket but need 4 by the tv, but rather than a power bar I use an AVR which has four sockets on it. That way it protects my TV and other sensitive equipment from voltage spikes. Two birds one stone kind of thing.

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 3

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

I spoke to a fire chief , an old school friend and we were discussing electrics,  he told me that the biggest offenders for starting fire were the scented units that you plug into a socket 

Install smoke detectors guys , they will save your life 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

Why would Steve need a transformer, AK?  I have brought plenty of stuff from both the UK and Hong Kong and only needed an adaptor.  Actually, i don't like adaptors and prefer to use a flexible bar.

Honestly I don't know. I live in a house that was most likely built in the 50's. It's got the older fold up type windows with eleven panes that you fold up with a lever. Don't know what is going on in the old wooden attic where the electric cords go to the lights. I hear rats running around up there regularly so I don't know if they have caused any damage or not. So that's why I use a transformer. I don't want to take the chance of overloading the system. I only use the transformer for my 500 wt food processor when I make crushed red chili peppers.:6:

• Like 2