Fresh Milk!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, Tommy T. said:

I just returned from grocery shopping. The Magnolia and other local butters all seem to contain skim milk powder in addition to the pure butter. It should be fine, but I want the real thing.

We always buy Anchor.  Are they out?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We always buy Anchor.  Are they out?

Yesterday, the nearest SM store where I do most of my grocery shopping was actually out of Anchor butter. I was a bit shocked. So I bought some European product that was also pure - and I think more expensive... Today I will visit S & R in hopes of finding Anchor.

• 3 weeks later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 11/23/2019 at 6:31 PM, GeoffH said:

I have cereal and fruit with milk for breakfast most mornings, I mostly buy Nestle UHT milk (which the family calls fresh milk *shrug*).

It's as good as any UHT milk I've had in Australia (but not as good as farm fresh pasturized milk).

Very nice milk for my cornflakes , but to creamy for my mug of tea

• Like 1

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted

Along the road we live on, there is a sidewalk "Fresh Milk" stand consisting of a kid with a cooler and an umbrella. We zip by in a taxi or tricycle so we've never sampled his wares. I'm not sure I would. But I give him credit for perseverance as he's been in the same spot every day for months now.

Lately there's been a crab seller near him who holds up a crab on a stick for passersby to see. I don't think I'll be buying from him, either. :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JDDavao said:

Along the road we live on, there is a sidewalk "Fresh Milk" stand consisting of a kid with a cooler and an umbrella. We zip by in a taxi or tricycle so we've never sampled his wares. I'm not sure I would. But I give him credit for perseverance as he's been in the same spot every day for months now.

Lately there's been a crab seller near him who holds up a crab on a stick for passersby to see. I don't think I'll be buying from him, either. :shock_40_anim_gif:

As long as the crab is still alive it should be ok.

• Like 2

JDDavao II
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gary D said:

As long as the crab is still alive it should be ok.

I hadn't thought about that. I never see the legs moving but maybe it's because we go by fast. Or maybe it's just a representative sample of his catch, like those lacquered pastries you see in bakery windows sometimes.

stevewool
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, JDDavao said:

I hadn't thought about that. I never see the legs moving but maybe it's because we go by fast. Or maybe it's just a representative sample of his catch, like those lacquered pastries you see in bakery windows sometimes.

Just make sure he is not shaking it to look like it’s alive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, stevewool said:

Just make sure he is not shaking it to look like it’s alive.

If they are not alive I doubt if he could sell any, accept to an unwitting foreigner.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/16/2019 at 1:28 PM, JDDavao said:

L rarely eats at sidewalk stalls, unless they are offering sealed packaged items or hot cooked bbq-type foods. She is wary, especially, because most do not have running water supply for cleaning and just rely on buckets (pails) of water. If it's bbq or some other take-away food that uses disposable plastic or paper containers and utensils, then sometimes we do partake.

On a website last year I read that there was a high percentage (I forget now what that was) of contaminated food in street vendors in Davao. My faulty rememberance seems to be something like 60% or maybe even higher? But, for us, even 10% would be a risk we prefer to avoid. And we totally avoid the drinks for sale.

On the road between Davao and Tagum, there is an area where the highway runs adjacent to a drainage ditch or creek(?). There are many vendors holding up crabs for sale along the way. But, as we drive along, we can smell sort of a sewage aroma and just cannot consider that to be healthy offerings...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Sad 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, Tommy T. said:

I just returned from grocery shopping. The Magnolia and other local butters all seem to contain skim milk powder in addition to the pure butter. It should be fine, but I want the real thing.

If you want the REAL thing, try Kerry Gold Irish butter. S&R started stocking it a few months ago here in CDO. It's wonderfully rich and creamy and has the loveliest flavour. I just love it on its own on toast! With a good old cup of English Breakfast tea! Hmmmm. Heavenly!

Edited by Huggybearman
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1