Typhoon Kammuri

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/29/2019 at 5:36 PM, Jake said:

I use to go windsurfing during those times. 

Sorry Jake, the Windsurfing event for the games has been cancelled / postponed, but you are welcome to stay at my place if you want to give it a shot!

https://www.windy.com/?12.180,128.536,6

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Sorry Jake, the Windsurfing event for the games has been cancelled / postponed, but you are welcome to stay at my place if you want to give it a shot!

https://www.windy.com/?12.180,128.536,6

Thank you Don.  That website has some nice graphics and appears to be near real time.    

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
On 11/30/2019 at 3:18 PM, Jake said:

The sport of windsurfing and Hobie Cat sailing was very addictive for me.  When you start to see whitecaps (around 12 knots of wind) dancing across some relatively flat water, especially around Puerto Galera island group to subdue the swells......I'm off for some speed and more speed.  Do I crash and burn?  Yep, many times but I get back up by using the sail to pull me up (water start) and then go screaming across that water once again. 

Of course I take a couple shots for antifreeze in my blood and to build up the courage to be stupid enough to go out during typhoon season.  And of course, at my age now -- no more windsurfing.  I might pull my back out, letting go of a "good one".  

I don't have good enough balance for kite surfing ,but i have done a fair bit of monohull sailing ,id love to have a go on a hobie

• Like 2

bastonjock
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

If there is any flooding, be careful to try to stay out of it. Leptospirosis - carried by rats and mice mainly - is routinely present in flood waters and can invade a person's body through any kind of open wound or scratch. And it is deadly over time. Have some sturdy boots available in case you need to go outside for any reason. Do not underestimate the power of the wind! If it is a strong storm and close pass, it can be so strong you can't walk into it but must crawl if you have to be outside. Even rather heavy things can be picked up and blown around. And be careful, too, because others around you may not secure some things and stuff may be flying through the air at any time.

I agree a lot with tommy on this one , the flood waters are full of bad stuff

My buddy had to go to the doc to get antibiotics to clear up the rash on his legs ,the doc told him , "do not walk in our water ,its full of industrial crap and diseases "

Big set of rubber boots required 

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
On 11/30/2019 at 11:18 PM, Jake said:

The sport of windsurfing and Hobie Cat sailing was very addictive for me.  When you start to see whitecaps (around 12 knots of wind) dancing across some relatively flat water, especially around Puerto Galera island group to subdue the swells......I'm off for some speed and more speed.  Do I crash and burn?  Yep, many times but I get back up by using the sail to pull me up (water start) and then go screaming across that water once again. 

Of course I take a couple shots for antifreeze in my blood and to build up the courage to be stupid enough to go out during typhoon season.  And of course, at my age now -- no more windsurfing.  I might pull my back out, letting go of a "good one".  

Jake, we made a short trip to Puerto Galera first week of November.  On the ferry back to Batangas I saw this cat and was thinking of you.  It wasn't a Hobie but a cat none the less.  I would guess it was 10 meters.  He had a full sail and was scooting right along.  Seemed the closer we got to him the farther he got away.  No doubt with your Hobie you could have left him in the spray!IMG_1145.jpeg

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, stevewool said:
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

So what am I expecting as I have never seen or been in a typhoon before.

Here is another great local view on Windy.com.  I never found this excellent grid on the bottom before.

https://www.windy.com/14.647/121.105?2019-12-03-15,14.041,121.102,8,m:d3zajwZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

Hope those being battered by this storm are in safety

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

According Windy.com, the track will be more south, which is good for me in Subic Bay and also Manila.  It has slowed a lot too, about a day later to get here compared to earlier forecasts.  I went to bed around 1 am and it was sitting on Legaspi.  They probably  have a lot of damage.

This is the 2 PM prediction, with the eye right over the northern part of Mindoro.  Stay safe!

Screenshot (37).png

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)

We started to experience the outer bands of the storm around 7am.  Just light winds and rain with some short breaks in between.  I too noticed it appears to be moving slower that first predicted.  With all the rain it is holding there is sure to be some flooding.  Second day no school and maybe tomorrow as well if there is flooding.  Stay safe everyone!

Edited by intrepid
  • Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted

Here in Bataan it's breezy with one or two spots of rain, can't decide what it wants to do. The builder and roofers have not turned up today  but unless things change suddenly not a bad day.

• Like 3