Corona Virus

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I don't discount anything happening... but if you google "Black Death"... worldwide, started in China (??) perhaps in the mid-1300's... it took out 100's of millions throughout Eurasia.... because of rats!!  As much as we are inundated with the news... it may be the saving grace that keeps this at bay.  On a personal level... I'm more worried about a being involved in a head-on truck collision, meningitis, bad food, crazy mosquito diseases, and getting stuck between some family crossfire. But hey... ya never know 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

As much as we are inundated with the news... it may be the saving grace that keeps this at bay.

Very true!  Tough to take action or precautions if you don't know what is going on!

We are not wearing masks yet except for few special cases like my daughter on public transport.  However, things could get a lot worse here in PH with the virus, so I ordered a bunch on Lazada and Shoppee, just in case.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I am not a fearmonger, nor do I ascribe any pattern to all this, so perhaps it is just my personal perception that current events seem a bit strong and coincidental - as I mentioned before?

HK... I have to respectfully disagree with you about this.

Of course I agree with you about some trivial events can be sensationalized and others may not be factual. However consider these:

The corona virus at last count I saw today showed 812 dead and over 37,000 sickened.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus-usa-confirmed-cases-news-cruise-ship-death-toll-evacuations-latest-2020-02-07/

There are news reports about the H5N1 bird flu virus on a farm in Hunan province China. More than 18,000 birds have died or were culled as they attempt to stop the spread of this disease.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/02/china-reports-bird-flu-outbreak-near-epicenter-of-coronavirus/

African Swine Fever is affecting wild and domestic pigs across China and spreading to other countries across the globe. It is reported now here in Davao City. While apparently not a threat for human consumption, L and I and I believe many Filipinos are avoiding consuming pork at this time. Why take the chance?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50833054

Regarding the locust plague in Africa: “This is an unprecedented situation that we are facing,” said Dominique Burgeon, an emergency services director at the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/unprecedented-locust-invasion-approaches-full-blown-crisis/

Do I even need to detail the situation with increased typhoon frequencies and strengths?

I think we have all noted the increased frequency and strengths of earthquakes here, in California, Japan and Puerto Rico?

Likewise, most of us have read the reports about near war in Iran/Iraq recently? Or the machinations of the USA president? Or Putin or Xi?

I will not detail here, but there has been, just this week, monumental flooding in NW and SE parts of USA causing deaths and lots of property damage.

http://floodlist.com/america/usa

Then the floods in Europe since November.

http://floodlist.com/europe

I cannot consider any of these events as being minor...at least that's my viewpoint.

I didn't say these specific events were minor, Tom - I suggested that the connecting of dots by News agencies often involved including minor events. 

If these events are connected, as you seem to think/suggest, then by what?  Some master plan by a greater power? I'm not buying it T.B.H.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

If these events are connected, as you seem to think/suggest, then by what?  Some master plan by a greater power? I'm not buying it T.B.H.

HK... I am not even trying to suggest these are all connected. Perhaps my posts were a bit misleading about that. I am just curious that it seems a number of calamatous events are occurring at about the same time now. A lot of them. It just seems a bit odd to me.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

HK... I am not even trying to suggest these are all connected. Perhaps my posts were a bit misleading about that. I am just curious that it seems a number of calamatous events are occurring at about the same time now. A lot of them. It just seems a bit odd to me.

I don't want to labour the point, Tom.  But, if we exclude Coronavirus, are there really that many calamatous events ongoing?  And even if we can agree there are (which we can't) what could possibly be connecting them?  I just ain't buying into any end of the world as we know it scenario. 

bastonjock
Posted
Posted

With regard to the volume of news, I can here president President's voice saying itd fake news 

My ex gf in England had a brother who is in a senior position at the bbc news ,we were out to lunch one day and he had this old Nokia phone with him , I asked him why he had such an old phone 

He told me that it was the " Gold " phone ,err whatsthat? , it's a direct line from those in power to inform me if one of the top 4 has died ,i.e the queen, pm etc

Then i have to put in motion a series of events,  if it rings then some serious shit is going down 

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Maybe it's mother nature giving a warning.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, jimeve said:

Maybe it's mother nature giving a warning.

I guess that's my point, Jim. As I already said a few times, I am not connecting the dots about all these things. I am just observing and noting that there seem to be a lot of odd things happening all at about the same time. To me it is curious and possibly disturbing. At least it all disturbs me... Maybe I am just a "Doubting Thomas" about our future?:89:

Well... be it a long problem or not, a bit of my slightly survivalist nature is presenting itself. I think this started when I began sailing. We had to stock up supplies to last for at least a month without re-stocking - there are no grocery stores in the middle of the Pacific ocean... (okay okay...maybe there is, but we never found one!)

So we just keep some extra supplies at home here, enough bottled water for at least one to two weeks, batteries, gas in the car, etc....to last for a couple of weeks or more. Also extra canned and dried food and rice. I would rather be extra cautious and hopefully safe rather than to be cavalier and trust that all is always well and good. I trust myself and L much more than I trust anyone else.

So perhaps it is one of my faults? Fine... I can live with it...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

But, if we exclude Coronavirus, are there really that many calamatous events ongoing?

Without getting into specifics I would like to suggest an analogy.

A farmer will have land, that land will have a certain carrying capacity for a particular stock or certain growing ability for a particular crop.  If the farmer over grazes or over crops that land (without regenerating it with fertalizer etc) between seasons then eventually the quality and number of the animals or plants will start to drop, average size will decrease and disease will become more common.  Now the Earth isn't just one piece of land, it's all the land but the principle of over stocking and over use still applies in my opinion.

At some point there will be too many people in some areas for standards of living to be maintained in the long term because the density of people will be such that they're using more resources than the land they're living from can sustainably produce (which just means produce in the long term without an eventual decrease in production not something lefty greenie).  I'm channeling my farmer heritage here not a city greenie.

It has been suggested by people with a lot more knowledge than me that the Earth reached it's sustainable carrying capacity some time between 1960 and 1980.

Now if that is so then it would logically follow that at least some of the issues we're seeing now (larger waste dumps, decreasing fish and crop yields, increasing disease, more manmade CO2 etc etc) are only the logical consequence of 'too many people' (in at least some areas).  India and China come to mind in particular.

Of course we can't just reduce population, we're evolved to breed and increase but at some point that's going to come to a grinding halt, one way or another and I doubt it will be pleasant when it does.  But I expect I'll be dead before then so there's that...

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic