Lock Down Problems

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

My wife wants to send money to friends/kin in the next province for food. She says that the Smart Money kiosks and pawn shops are all closed here at present, from what she could see yesterday, here in Capiz Prov. on Panay.  Does any  one know if its only a local problem here or if its nationwide ? 

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, manofthecoldland said:

My wife wants to send money to friends/kin in the next province for food. She says that the Smart Money kiosks and pawn shops are all closed here at present, from what she could see yesterday, here in Capiz Prov. on Panay.  Does any  one know if its only a local problem here or if its nationwide ? 

I haven't been out since Saturday, but then all the pawn shops were open as usual but it may depend on local situation i.e. can staff get to the office etc. 

With restrictions on movement probably becoming more stringent I hope they don't lose sight of the fact that certain things need to operate to keep people safe - the financial system being one. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

With restrictions on movement probably becoming more stringent I hope they don't lose sight of the fact that certain things need to operate to keep people safe - the financial system being one. 

Critical thinking common sense and forethought? :hystery::6:

Edited by Old55

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Here in Sta Rosa Laguna some were open with limited hours and limited number customers. The ones we attempted had hours  10am - 3pm.   Lines were very long with an average of 20+ waiting.  Then you may not be before the cutoff.  My wife waited about two hours to send her mom some money.  I was in the aircon car. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Marvin Boggs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, manofthecoldland said:

We sent money this morning, and we are in Iloilo.  The ordinance I've seen allows money shops to be open (along with a lot of other businesses), but the issue seems to be a lot of shops don't want to stay open. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Marvin Boggs said:

We sent money this morning, and we are in Iloilo.  The ordinance I've seen allows money shops to be open (along with a lot of other businesses), but the issue seems to be a lot of shops don't want to stay open. 

I'm not so sure they don't want to open, rather they cannot because staff cannot get to their offices due to the transport problems.

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 2

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Smart Padala and Palawan Express were still open 2 days ago. Sent some money from Cavite to Butuan without a problem.:smile:

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 3/27/2020 at 12:47 PM, intrepid said:

Here in Sta Rosa Laguna some were open with limited hours and limited number customers. The ones we attempted had hours  10am - 3pm.   Lines were very long with an average of 20+ waiting.  Then you may not be before the cutoff.  My wife waited about two hours to send her mom some money.  I was in the aircon car. :thumbsup:

Yesterday I drove through Olongapo and there were lines at all of those money places.

Intrepid, you can send online to avoid the lines.  I'm not sure how to send pesos to someone domestically, but you can use Xoom to send dollars to pesos for pickup at several places or into their bank account.  Yes, there are fees, but 2 hours in line?  You probably burned the fees in gas while waiting!

Xoom lists these destinations:

Screenshot (84).png

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

ntrepid, you can send online to avoid the lines.  I'm not sure how to send pesos to someone domestically, but you can use Xoom to send dollars to pesos for pickup at several places or into their bank account.

Yes, we do that often.  However, none of the Xoom pick up locations were any longer open in San Carlos City.  BDO and most other banks have been closed also.  Only option available here and there was Palawan Express.  Nothing else much to do but watch the people in line.:boohoo:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

If I have to send then I send to their bank account using western union or world remit and they get the money from an ATM.  You can do that from home using a computer or even a phone.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic