Silver Linings to Dark Clouds

Jack D
Posted
Posted

There's an old saying that every dark cloud has a silver lining.

I can see 2 right now:

The gasoline prices in the States are the lowest that I've seen in decades. 

$1.449 US per US gallon (which is about 39 cents per liter)... or $1.15 CAN for an Imperial gallon...  or £0.66  GBP for a an Imperial gallon... or less that 20 PHP for a liter.

gas.JPG

The skies over most cities in the world are much cleaner now... Blue Skies (again)!

skies.JPG

indians.JPG

Has anything else gotten better during these trying times?

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack D said:

$1.449 US per US gallon (which is about 39 cents per liter)... or $1.15 CAN for an Imperial gallon

Considering that an imperial gallon is 1.2 American gallons I find the math confusing.

But when you change it to liters you are doing great   Here in western Canada we are paying 98 cents a litre.  The cost of gas is down but the taxes are still the same.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack D said:

Has anything else gotten better during these trying times?

I am seeing in news articles that, in general, many people are coming together to help and support each other emotionally and financially. It seems to be bringing out the goodness - it's refreshing, but not universal, of course.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Once again we are expected to believe that what we read, is what they want all to believe, we know don't we, that that is not how it works in real life?

I definitely see your point, Jack. I should have noted in my comment that it was taken from observing news almost exclusively in USA. However, as you note, there have been some ugly things happening there. But I see some people taking time and effort to feed and provide housing for health care workers. And, here on the forum, some of the guys and their wives have been making efforts to help feed and support what they can. I guess that's what I was referring to...

I should also add that I am largely ignorant about much news outside of Davao, except for what I see in online news which is typically just the highlights and lowlights about current events. I have not heard about any incidents such as you describe occurring here, but that doesn't mean anything.

But you are right, scarcity  and adversity can and does bring out the worst in people too. I stand corrected.:tiphat:

By the way, I am saddened by what you just reported about your situation in Negros. So do you mean that groceries are now in short supply there? Or are you referring to assistance for the especially poor and needy?

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 5

TimL
Posted
Posted

C7A48DD6-F4A5-42AF-9CAE-BE664BA68619.jpeg

• Haha 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I am seeing in news articles that, in general, many people are coming together to help and support each other emotionally and financially. It seems to be bringing out the goodness - it's refreshing, but not universal, of course.

Yeah right... scratch the surface and you will see the poor getting poorer, the connected and "do gooder" politicians are getting richer while throwing bags of rice and few cans of sardines around...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Yeah right... scratch the surface and you will see the poor getting poorer, the connected and "do gooder" politicians are getting richer while throwing bags of rice and few cans of sardines around...

Yes. I already got the point...thanks.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, jaybee said:

Having first opened the packets made by DSWD and put a note in stating its from said politico. These people are venal, avaricious and scum and one truly hopes there is karma and that they are on the short sharp end of receiving it.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Yes the price of fuel is down , but you can’t drive anywhere .

Stay safe people .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic