Silver Linings to Dark Clouds

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

Having first opened the packets made by DSWD and put a note in stating its from said politico. These people are venal, avaricious and scum and one truly hopes there is karma and that they are on the short sharp end of receiving it.

My girl said on the TV news that a Barangay Captain was stabbed to death because he only gave food to some households and not all (apparently there wasn't enough budget).

Also the 8000p relief from Duterte is making it's way around here and final payment per family is coming to 1000p.

I wouldn't be crossing Duterte in this instance, not for petty greed, it's absolute stupidity.

• Sad 3

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack D said:

There's an old saying that every dark cloud has a silver lining.

I can see 2 right now:

The gasoline prices in the States are the lowest that I've seen in decades. 

$1.449 US per US gallon (which is about 39 cents per liter)... or $1.15 CAN for an Imperial gallon...  or £0.66  GBP for a an Imperial gallon... or less that 20 PHP for a liter.

gas.JPG

The skies over most cities in the world are much cleaner now... Blue Skies (again)!

skies.JPG

indians.JPG

Has anything else gotten better during these trying times?

In the 70's when people had to wait in long lines for gas because of the oil embargo, and could only get a small amount of gas I just ventured down to Mexico since they were allowing everyone to fill up. I lived close to the border so no problem.  

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Gas ?

I only have a pushbike mate.  

bike gif-small.gif

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AusExpat said:

Also the 8000p relief from Duterte is making it's way around here and final payment per family is coming to 1000p.

Is this coming 1st hand or via a friend of a friend on Facebook?  

• Like 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, AusExpat said:

My girl said on the TV news that a Barangay Captain was stabbed to death because he only gave food to some households and not all

Wondering if they are going to include this death as part of the covid19 statistics... 

• Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Apparently, families registered as '4Pis' (poor people) in my area of Pangasinan have received the 'p5,000-p8,000 government hand-out... but were in my bro-in-law's case, only actually given p4,200.  Hmm. 

Plenty of other (qualifying) relatives haven't seen a single centavo from DOLE yet. 

Edited by graham59
  • Sad 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, graham59 said:

Plenty of other (qualifying) relatives haven't seen a single centavo from DOLE yet. 

How are you sure they qualified? Also were they registered anywhere to be included into the database that sorts out who is eligible? 

• Hmm thinking 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

How are you sure they qualified? Also were they registered anywhere to be included into the database that sorts out who is eligible? 

Database ?

You're having a laugh mate.  

They are poor families,  now with no income.... because of government actions.  

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Database ?

You're having a laugh mate.  

They are poor families,  now with no income.... because of government actions.  

You obviously did not follow on how distribution of money was sorted. If they were not on the database lodged to Manila then they wont get anything. That's how it was decided as to who is to get what. Not at local level or should not have been in the end. Plus if they are out of work from what I read another process to go through locally if they need help. A lot of people here so if they dont make it known or follow the correct channels than nothing will happen. 

Hope they get something soon but need to follow the correct procedure. 

• Like 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Considering that an imperial gallon is 1.2 American gallons I find the math confusing.

Yeah, I really messed up the math on that, but I'm not even sure if any countries are still using Imperial gallons for purchasing gasoline, since Canada, Australia and the UK are all using litres now.

19 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I am seeing in news articles that, in general, many people are coming together to help and support each other emotionally and financially. It seems to be bringing out the goodness - it's refreshing, but not universal, of course.

Yes, and here in the States, I'm seeing people continually risking their own lives, even after their co-workers (which includes doctors, nurses, police and firemen) get infected with COVID-19 and die.

15 hours ago, stevewool said:

Yes the price of fuel is down , but you can’t drive anywhere .

Not the case everywhere, especially in the States.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic