Another 3 weeks staying safe

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The nonsense is a mall opening when we are in a total lockdown.  The total lockdown is for the weekend only (as i said in my post) - people knew in advance, or should have, so were expected to buy enough food to get them over the weekend. 

Personally, I don't think it's too much to ask.  

Ah.... I see the error of my ways. Somehow, even though I read your post three times, I somehow missed that word "weekend," sorry about that.

And I see nothing wrong with nobody permitted outside on weekends. Here, nobody is permitted out on Sundays. Otherwise, depending on the first digit of your FM pass serial number (odd or even) you can go out either Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.Most people seem to be obeying. And it really is very quiet. Today, while soaking up some vitamin D on the roof deck, I saw only two delivery motorcycles - nobody else....cool!

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Ah.... I see the error of my ways. Somehow, even though I read your post three times, I somehow missed that word "weekend," sorry about that.

And I see nothing wrong with nobody permitted outside on weekends. Here, nobody is permitted out on Sundays. Otherwise, depending on the first digit of your FM pass serial number (odd or even) you can go out either Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.Most people seem to be obeying. And it really is very quiet. Today, while soaking up some vitamin D on the roof deck, I saw only two delivery motorcycles - nobody else....cool!

No worries Tom.

The alternating days idea is sound but I wonder how well it is monitored?  For example, where I am we have had passes for about 4 weeks yet neither me nor my wife have had to show it when moving around.  

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The alternating days idea is sound but I wonder how well it is monitored?  For example, where I am we have had passes for about 4 weeks yet neither me nor my wife have had to show it when moving around.  

Same thing here. There are no checkpoints between home and the SM mall where we shop.

According to a Davao City news site, there are apparently 42 checkpoints scattered throughout the city and concentrated near or at wet markets. Well, the closest wet market is beyond our home and away from the SM and neither of us has seen any checkpoints nearby. Yet, people seem to be obeying the orders and there is no traffic today except for the few delivery guys on motorcycles. And the air is very clear and we can easily see stars at night that we could never see before...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 4/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, Tommy T. said:

Same thing here. There are no checkpoints between home and the SM mall where we shop.

According to a Davao City news site, there are apparently 42 checkpoints scattered throughout the city and concentrated near or at wet markets. Well, the closest wet market is beyond our home and away from the SM and neither of us has seen any checkpoints nearby. Yet, people seem to be obeying the orders and there is no traffic today except for the few delivery guys on motorcycles. And the air is very clear and we can easily see stars at night that we could never see before...

In Manila last week the closest major wet market has a checkpoint but they were only stopping motorbikes last week, if you're in a car they just ignore you. Going the other wya there is a checkpoint but they do not stop anyone.

Last Friday the traffic here was almost back to a normal light traffic day, Duterte was on TV that night threatening martial law if people continued to not take it seriously. I haven't been out in the car again yet.

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 1

Arizona Kid
Posted
Posted
On 4/19/2020 at 12:58 PM, Tommy T. said:

Here Sundays are permitted. The rest of the week is full of bullshit, Unless it's the second Tuesday of next month. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/19/2020 at 1:09 PM, hk blues said:

For example, where I am we have had passes for about 4 weeks yet neither me nor my wife have had to show it when moving around.  

Today was the first time I had to show my pass. While in a line up waiting to go into the supermarket everyone in line had to show their pass. A guy came around and checked. Mostly call center workers there who had a work letter and ID on their lanard which they had to show. Have not been through a checkpoint. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, jimeve said:

That's fine with me. Let's just get it over and done with, if possible. I would rather see restrictions for a few weeks now than have them last for months because some fools push relaxation now... in my opinion...

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

If we are honest we are trying to empty a bath with a thimble.  This virus started with one case and within two months we were where we are now, still many dying daily and hundreds more being infected.  The minute they lift the quarantine and lets face it, eventually they'll have to we will be back to square one within a few weeks. 

• Love it 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

If we are honest we are trying to empty a bath with a thimble.  This virus started with one case and within two months we were where we are now, still many dying daily and hundreds more being infected.  The minute they lift the quarantine and lets face it, eventually they'll have to we will be back to square one within a few weeks. 

The quarantine is not about defeating the virus, only a vaccine can do that.  My understanding is that it is designed to smooth out the infections to help the health system manage better.  When lockdown is lifted the numbers of new infections should be less as many will have already caught it -the low lying fruit if you like.  

It won't disappear without a vaccine which probably won't be here anytime soon and we can't stay in lockdown until it is so governments will have to,and are,take a leap of faith and gradually lift restrictions.  With the welfare system as it is here, a lockdown may eventually cause more problems that it's supposed to solve - the cure being worse than the cause to coin a phrase! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic