New hopes in the CV fight

RBM
Posted
Posted

I found this pretty interesting. So far have nothing giving comparisons of average deaths during a set period before corona and a recent comparison. As we all know media love to pump the bad news.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nobel-prize-winner-shares-some-good-news-about-the-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-03-23

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

New Zealand are on course and in single digit new cases per day, Australia are down to almost single digit numbers of new cases each day.

The virus can't be eliminated but the R number can be kept below 1 long enough that community transmission effectively stops.

At that point the worst of lock down can be relaxed and with social distancing people can start going back to work.

But... and it's a big but... the country needs to be rich enough and the people need to have enough support to do that.

Australia will be locked down until may problably then gradually releasing restrictions.

It's not really that long... only 6 to 9 months, and there is hope for a vaccine around that time or only a few months afterwards.

I've never been in prison but people do years, surely we can do a few months... in our own house?

I’ve heard reports of 2022 before a vaccine, 26 million Americans have filed for unemployment, the worst economic disaster in the history of the U.S. a lot of the jobs will never come back

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I’ve heard reports of 2022 before a vaccine, 26 million Americans have filed for unemployment, the worst economic disaster in the history of the U.S. a lot of the jobs will never come back

Because they didn’t lock down early, strictly and consistently and now they’re paying the price of that inaction.

Here there was much talk of short term pain for long term gain and the community must pull together because this is the biggest crisis since WW2.

And it worked.

Edited by GeoffH

Heeb
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

Because they didn’t lock down early, strictly and consistently and now they’re paying the price of that inaction.

Regardless of when they started the lockdown the economic results to date would be the same, 25 million unemployed and counting

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The virus can't be eliminated but the R number can be kept below 1 long enough that community transmission effectively stops.

Here's another "but," Geoff... All it took, as we have discussed and remember, was 1 case... and then look what happened??? I don''t think any of us can be too cautious. I prefer to die of old age, not drowning in pneumonia in some antiseptic hospital room. (Hmmm... and I would prefer to die "in the saddle," given the choice?)

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Sad 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
Just now, Heeb said:

Regardless of when they started the lockdown the economic results to date would be the same, 25 million unemployed and counting

If they started early, went in hard then they could have started to safely come out in May.

Now they either come out in May and the number of cases surges or they stay locked down and an already depressed economy crashes.

How is that not the fault of the people in charge?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

went in hard

Yup.... my choice, exactly, Geoff! :hystery::hystery::hystery:

Sorry.... the devil made me do it!

I read many things into your comment there...  go in hard in February or March then come out in May??? Geoff!!!!

Sorry.... but if I don't laugh now, I might cry... hate this virus s***.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

Here's another "but," Geoff... All it took, as we have discussed and remember, was 1 case... and then look what happened??? I don''t think any of us can be too cautious. I prefer to die of old age, not drowning in pneumonia in some antiseptic hospital room. (Hmmm... and I would prefer to die "in the saddle," given the choice?)

Neither I or the government here are suggesting stopping restrictions, they are planning to gradually implement social distanced returns to work and for transport.  If done properly it can work to keep R number below 1.

• Love it 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, RBM said:

I found this pretty interesting. So far have nothing giving comparisons of average deaths during a set period before corona and a recent comparison. As we all know media love to pump the bad news.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nobel-prize-winner-shares-some-good-news-about-the-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-03-23

I agree but I’m not an expert, I’m just an armchair quarterback, I suspect there will also be a lot of Monday night quarterbacks when all is said and done. You non-yanks will have to google the terms.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic