Three year post-lockdown plan

Shady
Posted
Posted
On 4/30/2020 at 4:57 PM, Heeb said:

If this plan is enforced it will be time to leave

And the tourism industry will follow, I don't think they're thinking this one through.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

New Zealand on the other hand if it opens up will no doubt set 14 day quarantines which cancels out a lot of tourists.

New Zealand and Australia are looking at a shared Covid-19 border zone with flights to the general public only allowed between those two countries except for exceptional circumstances.  Given the very low (and similar) infection rates in both countries I doubt it will make much difference to the respective countries infection rates.  It's more aimed at business travel than tourism.

1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

the New Zealand options have saved many lives at the onset but their economy is tanking pretty bad as obviously are others. They are gambling on a vaccine which I can't see coming any time soon. 

The economies that didn't shut down are still tanking and they've got large numbers of people dying.  Why have two bad problems when you can just have one?

As for the vaccine there are multiple vaccine candidates, some of which have already demonstrated strong immune response in tests.  I am fairly confident that a vaccine will become generally available sometime during 2021.

New Zealand and Australia are close to the point where restrictions can be relaxed (whilst monitoring for outbreaks of course) and honestly... I think the short term pain their economies suffer will be proven in time to be less harmful than the longer term harm caused by responses of countries like the USA (on a per capita basis).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

Heeb
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Time to leave....Please pray tell me how?

I'm going to drink a bottle of virgin coconut oil and make a swim for it.

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Heeb said:

drink a bottle of virgin coconut oil and make a swim for it.

Ah.... anticipating jet propulsion?:hystery:

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/30/2020 at 4:57 PM, Heeb said:

If this plan is enforced it will be time to leave, for me this lockdown is not living at all, at least the version back in Washington state allows for me to get outside, walk, hike, bike, this extreme lockdown here I will not mentally survive, I'm not a couch potato like some are.,

Not sure if it's your age preventing you from going out or location, but I have no problems going out for a walk, I see some running or riding bikes and there is no issue as long as you stay close to your area or home, but if you are in an area where many have been infected I'm sure they will be more strict in that area. For me and it's only in my case there are a few virus infections basically all around me but so far none in my immediate area.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Quite so, RBM...

And it appears to have worked! I want to see someone argue against that for "personal freedoms."

Right wingers and extremists are receiving unwarranted and ridiculous, undeserved media coverage. Not "fake" news... "exaggerated" news!!! In my opinion. If it weren't for this media coverage, and some other "considerations," the protests would settle down or at least not keep building as they are and the extremists would maybe crawl back into their holes...? Just a thought.:89:

Your right wing extremist just might be a small business owner who is going to lose his business if it doesn't reopen ASAP. Most of us on this forum are retired and have the luxury of staying home with no money worries during these lockdowns. You might feel differently if you were about to lose the business you spent a decade building up.  There are many many people that are going to get wiped out financially from these lockdowns.  There are already many small businesses who have closed permanently. My local news reported that at this point they expect 10-20% of the non essential businesses to fail. Concerns about the economy are definitely not fake or exaggerated.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, earthdome said:

My local news reported that at this point they expect 10-20% of the non essential businesses to fail. Concerns about the economy are definitely not fake or exaggerated.

I never said or suggested otherwise and I have a daughter with a non essential business that is closed and she consequently cannot work, he partner is a cabinet maker who makes kitchens for new houses and he has been stood down without pay.

But the simple fact is that staying alive trumps becoming financially more secure so the economy has to take second place to virus precautions for now.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

I never said or suggested otherwise and I have a daughter with a non essential business that is closed and she consequently cannot work, he partner is a cabinet maker who makes kitchens for new houses and he has been stood down without pay.

But the simple fact is that staying alive trumps becoming financially more secure so the economy has to take second place to virus precautions for now.

Interesting, time will eventually give us a more complete picture. The balance between high economical loss and the belief of separation to help stop the spreading of virus.

Interestingly I did read another up to date article  on Sweden yesterday which with a break down of figures showed that after all they may in fact be on the right track. Not remembering the contacts exactly how ever a very  large percentage of their deaths were elderly and mostly rest home people. This balance between the sad loss of lives  having the economy rolling on   may be a long argument for the future. Time will tell.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

10 hours ago, earthdome said:

Your right wing extremist just might be a small business owner who is going to lose his business if it doesn't reopen ASAP. Most of us on this forum are retired and have the luxury of staying home with no money worries during these lockdowns. You might feel differently if you were about to lose the business you spent a decade building up.  There are many many people that are going to get wiped out financially from these lockdowns.  There are already many small businesses who have closed permanently. My local news reported that at this point they expect 10-20% of the non essential businesses to fail. Concerns about the economy are definitely not fake or exaggerated.

1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

8 minutes ago, RBM said:

Interesting, time will eventually give us a more complete picture. The balance between high economical loss and the belief of separation to help stop the spreading of virus.

Interestingly I did read another up to date article  on Sweden yesterday which with a break down of figures showed that after all they may in fact be on the right track. Not remembering the contacts exactly how ever a very  large percentage of their deaths were elderly and mostly rest home people. This balance between the sad loss of lives  having the economy rolling on   may be a long argument for the future. Time will tell.

Ahhh... So it seems as if we may consider financial well being to be more important than life itself?

And as one of the "Oldies" or at-risk group, I guess I should welcome being culled from the population? You can imagine that might be a bit difficult for me to accept. But, I guess that if that is indeed the case, I should just go out, drop my mask and accept my sacrifice for the greater good of society. And then the stronger, younger will carry on.

I think I will wait a bit longer to see if a cure or vaccine might appear, if that's okay?

• Sad 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

Ahhh... So it seems as if we may consider financial well being to be more important than life itself?

To be fair Tommy i think the report I read did not lean towards what you have posted. More that the economical impact could perhaps result in a greater loss of lives (young as well) than the tragic cases of people, from memory mostly in their 80s whom have perished. The report was IMHO very balanced an unbiased.

I guess the jury will be out on this for many years to come, be interested to see when Doc john Campbell bring up the subject which i am sure he will.

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic