Three year post-lockdown plan

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RBM said:

To be fair Tommy i think the report I read did not lean towards what you have posted. More that the economical impact could perhaps result in a greater loss of lives (young as well) than the tragic cases of people, from memory mostly in their 80s whom have perished. The report was IMHO very balanced an unbiased.

Sorry RBM... I was not meaning to pick on you or your contribution there. I agree with Dr. Geoff's comment really. And I understand earthdome's comments too and respect them all.

And @earthdome's comments struck a nerve there... By extremists, I was really referring to skinheads, rifle toting right-wing fanatics, neo-nazis and other opportunists who seem to just be picking a fight and see this as a chance to gain some traction.

Of course I feel the pain of people who may be losing their livelihoods. I had my own small business and watched while some unscrupulous competitor swooped in and literally stole a big chunk of my business. But, what @GeoffHwrote says it all for me. I prefer a fettered and poor life over death at this point. I will only live once here and then be dead forever after this... I am in no hurry to rush this sequence.

Edited by Tommy T.
Wrong attribution corrected
  • Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Ahhh... So it seems as if we may consider financial well being to be more important than life itself?

And as one of the "Oldies" or at-risk group, I guess I should welcome being culled from the population? You can imagine that might be a bit difficult for me to accept. But, I guess that if that is indeed the case, I should just go out, drop my mask and accept my sacrifice for the greater good of society. And then the stronger, younger will carry on.

I think I will wait a bit longer to see if a cure or vaccine might appear, if that's okay?

Hey, I am not going to drive a herd of covid-19 zombies to overwhelm you at your home and ensure you get infected. It is up to you to take reasonable steps you deem necessary for your health and well being.

Each individual should be able to make their own choice which is more important to them, life or financial, or perhaps go a third way where they balance the two.

I made the choice, being an oldie and being at risk because of COPD, that I and my family would be staying home and made preparations for that long before there were any lock downs or stay at home orders. We were already staying at home and stocked up on food and other consumables before any government orders were issued.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Hey, I am not going to drive a herd of covid-19 zombies to overwhelm you at your home and ensure you get infected. It is up to you to take reasonable steps you deem necessary for your health and well being.

Yeah... I know that. Sorry if I overreacted to your post. I just get incensed with some people who seem to go out without regard for the older or otherwise compromised people. I cannot find any way to justify that behaviour. Look at what has happened at some USA beaches where the officials opened them up and then the hoards showed up - no social distancing, no masks. Then the beaches were closed again a day or two later as a result...

Sure, they can be free to exercise their right to freedom... but I disagree with that if it risks the right to live for the rest of us who take reasonable precautions - like you and me. To me, as Dr. Geoff writes - life trumps money, in my opinion.

Edited by Tommy T.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tommy T. said:

life trumps money, in my opinion.

:89: Are you sure you live in the Philippines Tom?

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:89: Are you sure you live in the Philippines Tom?

Personal opinion, Jack... not representative of all here...:tiphat:

earthdome
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Yeah... I know that. Sorry if I overreacted to your post. I just get incensed with some people who seem to go out without regard for the older or otherwise compromised people. I cannot find any way to justify that behaviour. Look at what has happened at some USA beaches where the officials opened them up and then the hoards showed up - no social distancing, no masks. Sure, they can be free to exercise their right to freedom... but I disagree with that if it risks the right to live for the rest of us who take reasonable precautions - like you and me. To me, as Dr. Geoff writes - life trumps money, in my opinion.

No problem. I agree that life trumps money but money is what most people need in order to obtain those things they need to sustain their life and that of their loved ones. It pissed me off a bit that some on here seem to be discounting the tragedy this is for millions of people around the world who live day to day or paycheck to paycheck who no longer have a way to support themselves and feed their family.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, Tommy T. said:

Personal opinion, Jack... not representative of all here...:tiphat:

Then you really do need to get out more among the people, Filipinos are definitely ( Especially just now) only interested in what cash is in it for them and what they can spend it on, Look at Dumaguete, Go to GQC for 2 days only and Totally F...k everything up by Bombarding the City on Mass so now we are back to square one, Passes and all " Cash is King" as it always has been,  Health only comes to mind when they get ill, Sorry Tom but you really do need to get to grips with the man on the Street and  stop reading too much from people that just don't know their Ass from their Elbow, this is NOT the West  and all the graphs and so called western Knowledge will not change the mindset of these people, they will survive and we should all learn from them if we are to survive ourselves. Western Opinions matter not and from my many years being here I have learned this  If we are to be allowed to stay, we should bear this in mind all ways, We don't like others Opinions much in our own countries so let's think on EH? :smile: Time to Buckle up and stay below the Radar :wink:

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

this is NOT the West  and all the graphs and so called western Knowledge will not change the mindset of these people, they will survive and we should all learn from them if we are to survive ourselves. 

You're correct it's not and that's why I've been trying to restrict my comments to western countries.

At the end of the day the Philippines are going to have to weather this virus without access to significant medical care because the country isn't rich enough to do otherwise.

That doesn't excuse countries like Sweden or the United States which are rich enough however and who simply aren't doing enough.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, earthdome said:

No problem. I agree that life trumps money but money is what most people need in order to obtain those things they need to sustain their life and that of their loved ones. It pissed me off a bit that some on here seem to be discounting the tragedy this is for millions of people around the world who live day to day or paycheck to paycheck who no longer have a way to support themselves and feed their family.

To be fair I've had more contact with those dying or suffering because they can't get into a hospital for treatment due to fears over this virus than knowing people that have died of it.  Others have been kicked out of the hospital to die because they never had the finances so I think it's a fine balance between what is more important.  Money or life, for some they both come hand in hand.

My very good friend is a front line nurse in a province hospital and since day one she has been stressed to the hilt with fear of dying from this virus. Four months down the line she has dealt with zero covid patients but saved a few lives of people that had been kicked out of private hospitals due to funds and treated others in her spare time for free. Her latest was a young girl with a dead baby inside her, kicked out onto the streets when the money ran out. She had to fight to get her treatment in the province hospital as they were turning away patients for fear of the virus.

Some of these people only have a today plan not a three year plan.

• Sad 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

You're correct it's not and that's why I've been trying to restrict my comments to western countries.

As you wish But............. with respect, we are in the Philippines Geoff and to be quite honest I am fed up with  hearing  about other Countries, we are if you remember, a Philippine based Forum, there is a Forum for world news  :tiphat: which i  generally do not read much:smile:

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic