Have we learnt anything these last few months?

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm sure like myself quite alot of us are tired of the constant TV coverage of Covid19.

As Governments start to loosen the lockdown, have we really learnt to accept that things have got to change.

What have you personally done that you would of not considered doing before all this happened?

How has it changed your thoughts or the future plans you may of made because of these events?

I have finally got round to starting the foundations for a summer house, only had the Patio doors three years !

It has also crossed my mind that when all this is over, it might be the time to make that move I have been putting off.

Interested to hear your views, regards JB.

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

It has whacked me hard in many ways.

-- My retirement accounts are way down in value.  I don't need the money right now, but it will take a few years to come back, after the economy gets going.  If my accounts had continued to do well, that is money I could have used for my family.

-- I put my house in Florida up for sale before the crap hit the fan.  I really have no choice but to continue to try to sell it.  Losing about 2k a month on it plus my selling price will be down, I am sure.

--  It was planned that the kids would be out of school for a 4 month vacation this year, due to changing schools.  I planned to do 1 large and a few smaller trips.  That is all shot now.  If school goes as planned, we will not have April off for years, and that is when I wanted to visit Europe.  When this is all done, I may not be able to afford a big vacation.

-- I got screwed on the U.S. Stimulus payment.  I was looking foward $3400 and got nothing.

--  We are already debating on where/when/how to put the kids back in school.  It is all up in the air.  Some of my wife's friends are saying they are going to keep the kids out of school this year.

OK, I'm done.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

--  We are already debating on where/when/how to put the kids back in school.  It is all up in the air.  Some of my wife's friends are saying they are going to keep the kids out of school this year.

The homeschooling option seems better than ever, that's the sentiment I'm hearing and I tend to agree

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

3 hours ago, Shady said:

The homeschooling option seems better than ever, that's the sentiment I'm hearing and I tend to agree

It is, indeed, a hassle, but home schooling is a very positive thing. I met many sailors who home-schooled their kids. It takes time, patience and some effort on the part of the parents. Also some discipline for parents and kids to adhere to a regular schedule to make it all work.

After they were done sailing, the kids excelled at their regular high schools and colleges... It brought the kids and parents together and they shared many experiences and thoughts that way. It may not be the best, or ideal, but it seems to be a great alternative to not being able or wishing to send the kids to "regular" schools?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I fired up the table saw and started building some tables out of our old mahogany deck boards and ceramic tile.  This one is six feet by 2 feet.  

Beautiful job!  I wish I could do woodwork even close to that.

• Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Kuya John said:

What have you personally done that you would of not considered doing before all this happened?

How has it changed your thoughts or the future plans you may of made because of these events?

For me the obvious one is I went to Australia to sell my investment property and I got stuck here by the half completed sale until after the borders closed.

So the planned house renovations for the house in the Philippines went ahead without me there.

I was going to rent out my own house and buy a small apartment (condo) that didn't need lawns mowed and could be easily locked ready for my visits to Australia but travel restrictions mean I can't get out to inspect possible properties and I'm very reluctant to buy on the basis of a video tour so that's on hold.

Investment options for the cash from the house sale are not attractive at the moment so it's sitting as cash in a couple of bank accounts.

• Like 4

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

I fired up the table saw and started building some tables out of our old mahogany deck boards and ceramic tile.  This one is six feet by 2 feet.  

Table.jpg

IMO this is the way to go if you're living here.  In 2012 the wife had carpenter cousin hand build us a decent D-Kitchen dining table for 6, but Yolanda came along and damaged it a bit. We made do, repairing the under frame and living with the  cracked side rail, while periodically recovering and replacing the oil cloth/contact fabric covering.  Then a year ago, the wife commissioned ate's  nearby carpenter nephew to build us one of these. They are quite expensive when bought here commercially, but a good local carpenter will make you one for the cost of materials (mataba or very heavy plywood surface, 5/8" or thicker... ours is 3/4) and labor. I think we paid him P 2K since he is considered family and was out of work. Materials were P3K.

I don't have a camera available at present, but it seats 6, has an oblong shape (he has built these before on commission for others) and the large tile match up pattern work came out nicely since it was a variegated  floral pattern and had to be edge matched. 

I think he had to rent or borrow the tile tools, since many carpenters here can't invest like us Westerners do in home tools or tools they only use sporadically.

I REALLY like your new table, Mike J !   Well done and inspirational to all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic