Have we learnt anything these last few months?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, GeoffH said:

The development of vaccines is progessing at a huge rate and the expertise garnered in developing vaccine candidates for Covid-19 won't quickly be lost. 

So yes I think we will be better prepared for the next pandemic, when ever it occurs.

And we'll be better prepared for the next wave of Covid-19 if there is one.

Hope the Chinese have learned something out of this and stop messing around next time it happens. Lets all hope that it won't happen again.

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jake said:

What have I learned?  Has my daily routine changed?  

-- I learned that I get about 3 weeks to a gallon now.

-- I learned that shaking hands is a taboo now.

-- I learned that flour tortilla dipped in aloe is a suitable substitute for toilet paper.

-- I learned how to make cheese cake:

And finally, I witnessed a more deadly virus that will never be eradicated.  It's called mob mentality, fear of the unknown, govt ineptitude and childish bickering.  Will we be better prepared for next COVID 20, 21?  

That's a winner Jake :AddEmoticons04230:

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jake said:

I learned that flour tortilla dipped in aloe is a suitable substitute for toilet paper.

Don't try that with salsa. :1927_::Caught:

• Haha 3

peterfe
Posted
Posted

One thing I've learned is to keep an eye/ear on the news - I've had periods of my life when I scarcely listened to the news for weeks on end - and if Covid-19 or any other virus looks like it might cause trouble on this kind of scale, to make QUITE SURE I'm in the country where I want to be for the next several months. And that is not the cold, expensive UK! 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted

As per the thread title What have we learned....

Well price increases for one. Our local mall is pretty much running at normal, we visited yesterday to purchase some of our usual snacks. Upon average 10% increase in prices plus in one case considerably smaller portion. These purchases are from the small vendor carts inside the mall.

Last night went to our regular resto, they were open and back to normal, except no alcohol, our usual potato cheese puffs which were the same price how ever reduced to 3 pieces instead of 6 as before. Price same.

Not complaining (my partner was though) as guess these owners have been forced to pay rent during the closure, just wished there was a note on menu explaining situation. As always tow sides....(Tommy)

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RBM said:

As always tow sides....(Tommy)

Okay, okay...I get it RBM! And I agree!:smile:

I know someone who paid more than double the usual price for Tanduay last week. Apparently some store owners have been caught selling and fined P3,000 per incident. The buyers were also fined P3,000 per incident. Dobbers (people who reported the violations) received P1,500 per successful report.

So I can't blame anyone for charging higher prices because they are taking a legal risk. And I can't blame the dobbers if they see something against regs and report and make profit.

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

As per the thread title What have we learned....

Well price increases for one. Our local mall is pretty much running at normal, we visited yesterday to purchase some of our usual snacks. Upon average 10% increase in prices plus in one case considerably smaller portion. These purchases are from the small vendor carts inside the mall.

Last night went to our regular resto, they were open and back to normal, except no alcohol, our usual potato cheese puffs which were the same price how ever reduced to 3 pieces instead of 6 as before. Price same.

Not complaining (my partner was though) as guess these owners have been forced to pay rent during the closure, just wished there was a note on menu explaining situation. As always tow sides....(Tommy)

I guess the price inflation will be more noticeable with independent stores/small retailers trying to recoup some of their losses.  Understandable up to a degree but the worry is this becomes the new normal.  I noted that beer here is back to normal price - good news!  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

So I can't blame anyone for charging higher prices because they are taking a legal risk. And I can't blame the dobbers if they see something against regs and report and make profit.

I blame both.  The dobbers more to be honest - as we say in the UK snitches get stitches.  

• Like 1

AusExpat
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Okay, okay...I get it RBM! And I agree!:smile:

I know someone who paid more than double the usual price for Tanduay last week. Apparently some store owners have been caught selling and fined P3,000 per incident. The buyers were also fined P3,000 per incident. Dobbers (people who reported the violations) received P1,500 per successful report.

I can blame the dobbers, it's completely against Australian custom.

In Pattaya they used to drive around a truck with a big signboard and loudspeakers "Dob in a foreigner, recieve a reward" this of course led to a lot of spurious claims, then add in the "loss of face" BS and innocent people got into unwarranted troubles.

I also have an ex-gf who grew up in Eastern Europe under Soviet rule, she had more than a few things to say about ht edobbers there.

Edited by AusExpat
  • Like 4

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic