So much for the "Swedish way"!

AusExpat
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, earthdome said:

To make sure we know why we need them...

lol, I have Fakebook, Twatter and Gulag blocked permanently in my browser, had to load another one to see what you posted - what a great analogy.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, earthdome said:

To make sure we know why we need them...

For some reason that movie did not really click for me when I watched it years ago.  Maybe I need to give it another shot!

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

For some reason that movie did not really click for me when I watched it years ago.  Maybe I need to give it another shot!

The premise for the movie was that a world wide pandemic resulted in the establishment of authoritarian dictatorships. Of course Natalie Portman was incredible in that movie.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

You raise a good point - many of us here live a life removed from the reality which is life for much of the population here so when I hear how easy (relatively) this lockdown has been - I'm guilty of this too - but it's a real, real issue for many.  And the longer it continues the more a matter of life and death it will become for many.  Social distancing is probably not even on their radar.  On the other hand, an outbreak in one of those densely populated areas could be disastrous. 

Not an easy dilemma.  

What really irks me is seeing the FB posts of some of my family.  They are the ones who have said you are selfish if you don't want to follow the rules or you want to go back to work.  They are mostly well off, several retired, and the lock down doesn't impact them much.  They even get to go out walking whenever they like.  Sometimes I would like to drop them in place like Tondo so they can see how those people have to fight to live everyday.

• Like 5

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They are very disciplined.

Ha being a Kiwi i would dispute this.......

Still its walking tightrope between opening up the economy a little the lockdown. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, RBM said:

Ha being a Kiwi i would dispute this.......

Still its walking tightrope between opening up the economy a little the lockdown. 

Our relatives there are reporting close to normal.  Practicing social distancing, I think they said masks are optional.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, AusExpat said:

If there was going to be an outbreak it would have happened in Tondo where people live in 6ft*6ft rooms, there is NO possibility of social distancing for the poor. Also I'd like to ask why aren't the garbage men dying in droves????

Really good series on the Tondo slums from Al Jazeera - https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/the-slum/

The article title says it all - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/21/american-billionaires-got-434-billion-richer-during-the-pandemic.html

Any wonder why the big tech giants/legacy media are pushing for further lockdown?

Regarding Tondo - Not necessarily so.  Despite the large numbers of infections everywhere, they don't all result in mass outbreaks.  Why?  I'll leave that to the experts.

Regarding tech giants etc - I don't think anyone is wondering why at all - it's fairly obvious!  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Regarding Tondo - Not necessarily so.  Despite the large numbers of infections everywhere, they don't all result in mass outbreaks.  Why?  I'll leave that to the experts.

Regarding tech giants etc - I don't think anyone is wondering why at all - it's fairly obvious!  

I still have a theory that many Filipinos, and possibly many of the lower class, have already had the virus.  I don't know if we will ever know.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

What really irks me is seeing the FB posts of some of my family.  They are the ones who have said you are selfish if you don't want to follow the rules or you want to go back to work.  They are mostly well off, several retired, and the lock down doesn't impact them much.  They even get to go out walking whenever they like.  Sometimes I would like to drop them in place like Tondo so they can see how those people have to fight to live everyday.

Quite!

For me, and probably many of us members here, the lockdown is no more than an irritation and we can carry on without all that many inconveniences relatively speaking.  Think of the jeepney drivers, trike drivers, shop staff and restaurant staff etc who are getting by on next to nothing - and that was before Corona Virus struck.  

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I still have a theory that many Filipinos, and possibly many of the lower class, have already had the virus.  I don't know if we will ever know.

I'll second that but I'd swap Filipinos for all nationalities.   

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic