So much for the "Swedish way"!

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I never put any links as the reporting from Oriental Mindoro was very misleading.  Different media had opposing information.  It took the Governor to highlight the truth on his Facebook account and he asked for the media to highlight their misinformation.  I''ve attached a link this time which highlights the test innacuracies. https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=228250 and https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8862813/

The first article refers exclusively to China tests in the early pandemic and reflect a  3% false positive.  The second paper is date 1996, almost 25 year ago.  You think advances in medicine and testing stopped over two decades ago?  You completely misrepresent the test results in your original post, fail to post source, and now you dig around the internet and post this crap.  What is your agenda?  Why are you throwing BS on the wall and hoping it sticks? :89:

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

The first article refers exclusively to China tests in the early pandemic and reflect a  3% false positive.  The second paper is date 1996, almost 25 year ago.  You think advances in medicine and testing stopped over two decades ago?  You completely misrepresent the test results in your original post, fail to post source, and now you dig around the internet and post this crap.  What is your agenda?  Why are you throwing BS on the wall and hoping it sticks? :89:

My appologies for not checking the dates. I'd seen ample reports on social media stating how innacurate many of the test are and also how many of the supplied test kits were basically useless. I just clicked on the first link coming up expecting it to be in date order.  The UK for example found serious failings with their test kits, fortunately they had the laboratories to trial the kits, the Philippines if you remember were shipping tests to ustralia for validation. https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/16/uk-spent-16000000-coronavirus-tests-didnt-work-12567736/  Even the WHO and DOH do not rate any commercially available rapid test kits as sufficiently reliable.  See page 4. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/wpro---documents/countries/philippines/emergencies/covid-19/who-phl-sitrep-29-covid-19-8may2020.pdf?sfvrsn=fc4d18f1_2  Going back to examples I was giving from Oriental Mindoro and Puerto Galera in particular they tested 286 front liners on the 5th of May and found 13 positives, on the 6th of May they tested another 176 and got a further 7 positives. It took until the 15th of May to get test results back from RITM before they got the first Negative results back and then they had to do a 3rd test to get two negatives before clearing the potential patients. I've attached a link to Live Science and checked it's in date as best as possible which in their opinion states about 30% false negatives.  Mainly down to how professionally the tests are carried out and processed. https://www.livescience.com/covid19-coronavirus-tests-false-negatives.html I can only speak for Puerto Galera but they use a make shift test facility comprising of about 5 small converted rooms at Muelle Pier about 10ft x 6ft with a fan to recirculate the air.  The swabs are then bagged, placed in a thermal container, put in the back of a van, taken to the port at Caticlan and wait on the next available boat to take it to the mainland and onwards to the Research Institute of Tropical Medicine in Muntinlupa.  This usualy takes over 24hrs and then the swabs sit and wait to get tested.  Do I have faith in this?  What do you think judging by usual standards of health care in the Philippines? 

Edited by Snowy79

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 5/30/2020 at 6:42 AM, Mike J said:

If that were the case, wouldn't that be shown via antibody testing? :89:

Not enough antibody testing done yet but to be honest my comment was more of a general observation that the Philippines is likely to be no different to most countries in terms of general infection levels.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Mike J said:

What is your agenda?  Why are you throwing BS on the wall and hoping it sticks?

A bit harsh for a longtime member and good poster, don't you think?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

No. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't mind it's like water off of a ducks back to me, sometimes cabin fever gets to people. If only he had "FAITH" in some of the things I post.  :whistling:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

sometimes cabin fever gets to people.

True and soon we can hopefully go about our lives something like we used to do and then find new topics to discuss. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

The archtect behind Swedens 'no lockdown' stratagy has backed away from his original position and admitted they should have done more (I regret to say I am not surprised by what has happened in Sweden).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/03/architect-of-sweden-coronavirus-strategy-admits-too-many-died-anders-tegnell

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

The archtect behind Swedens 'no lockdown' stratagy has backed away from his original position and admitted they should have done more (I regret to say I am not surprised by what has happened in Sweden).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/03/architect-of-sweden-coronavirus-strategy-admits-too-many-died-anders-tegnell

I think the main thing they missed was protecting the elderly.  They should have locked them down and sealed them up more than they did.

However, I still think many aspects of their plan were good.  If you go through what worked and what didn't, everywhere, including economics, I think there can be better plans in the future.

These are the Sweden deaths as of June 2.  88% over age 70.

Sweden COVID-19 Deaths as Of June 2      
Age Deaths % of Ttl Cum %
90+ 1136 25.43% 25.43%
80-90 1841 41.20% 66.63%
70-79 979 21.91% 88.54%
60-69 316 7.07% 95.61%
50-59 133 2.98% 98.59%
40-49 42 0.94% 99.53%
30-39 12 0.27% 99.80%
20-29 8 0.18% 99.98%
10-19 0 0.00% 99.98%
0-9 1 0.02% 100.00%
Total 4468 100.00%  
  • Thanks 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I think the main thing they missed was protecting the elderly.  They should have locked them down and sealed them up more than they did.

I honestly don't think it's practicable to 'just protect the elderly', if you're going to save them from high rates of mortality then you've got to have low rates of community transmission.  As to the economic issues it's looking increasingly like Sweden will be lumped into the 'high transmission rate' countries and excluded from the limited opening of borders that the 'low transmission rate' countries seem to be moving towards.  And that will have longer term implications for their economy moving forward.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic