So much for the "Swedish way"!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I honestly don't think it's practicable to 'just protect the elderly', if you're going to save them from high rates of mortality then you've got to have low rates of community transmission.

They have done it very well in Florida.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

They have done it very well in Florida.

This article suggests otherwise...

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/05/17/in-florida-83-percent-of-coronavirus-deaths-are-people-65-and-older/

• Sad 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, GeoffH said:

This article suggests otherwise...

It makes me so very sad to read those articles... And then also, to read about 40K+ deaths attributed to nursing homes in New York State?

I am paranoid about this virus... But realistic too... L and I take rather "extreme" measures with hand washing, mask wearing...

I, personally, believe it is now up to the individual to protect him/her self in these trying times. I do not trust governments or organizations...L and I are self-serving... like it or not.

So, if nitwits want to run around without masks or social distancing... then let them have it. And I have no sympathy for them or their families if they get sick with it... Yes... cold thoughts, but my feelings...  We will continue to protect ourselves, the best we can...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Just to give you an idea of where this is coming from, the Tampa Bay Times operates Politifact, a left leaning "fact checking service".

I don't doubt their facts here.  They said that 83% of deaths were over 65.  OK, +/- 10 points, that seems to what I see when I find deaths by age.  New York City, 73% over 65.  88% over 70 in Sweden.  If you are old, and you get it, you have a much higher risk of dying.

The article seems to imply with that 83% that the elderly are not being protected and of course slants it against the Governor, who says Florida is doing well.

However, the article leaves out something that would be important in an analysis of how well you are protecting the elderly.  It just says how many have died and the percentage of deaths.  What are the age demographics of Florida?  If you have more elderly, there is more chance that some will get it, even if you are protecting a high % of the total elderly.  I don't have stats for age demographics of Florida, but it is well known that Florida is a retirement haven and most likely has a high % of older people.

And of course, in what should be a numbers based article because that is how they started it, they have to throw in a few tear jerker stories.

======

Among the dead is Bob Barnum, a 64-year-old St. Petersburg realtor who loved theater and championed equal rights for the LGBT community.

Luis Alpiste, 79, a former construction worker and father of four in Miami who used to wake his children at midnight on their birthdays.

Joyce Lee, a 96-year-old great-great-grandmother, who lived in Miramar, last worked as a housekeeper and loved her garden of fruits, vegetables and flowers.

=====

I'm so glad that I know those details of those 3 people out of the thousands who have died.  Especially Luis, who used to wake his children up at midnight on their birthdays, 50 years ago. Great reporting!  It doesn't mention their comorbidities, and almost all over 65 are going to have some.

Which leads to the final thing that they did mention, and it has been brought up many times.  96 year old Joyce may have been near death from something else, but COVID put her under.  If COVID was not around, and she got the regular flu, had a heart attack and died, they would not count her death as flu.  They would just say she was old and died of old age and heart failure. 

My mom had 2-3 major things going wrong in the last 6 months of her life.  She died at 93 and I think they blamed "organ failure", another way of saying old age.  Your body gives up when it is near the end, and your mind does too.  My mom knew it and accepted it.  She told us it was time to go and she was too tired to keep fighting it all.  Her immune system was probably greatly compromised and any bug could be her last one.  I'm going to speculate that Joyce, at 96, was ready too.  The article seems to indicate she was gardening one day, and the next she was dying of COVID.  So sad.

Quote from the article on the misleading COVID stats in the U.S.:

Health department officials count anyone who tested positive for the virus and later died, no matter the cause of death, said Alberto Moscoso, a Florida Department of Health spokesman.

“For example, if an individual tests positive for COVID-19 and then dies as a result of an accident, that case would be included in the Department’s list of deaths associated with COVID-19,” Moscoso told the Times.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't have stats for age demographics of Florida, but it is well known that Florida is a retirement haven and most likely has a high % of older people.

It would appear that 17.6 percent of the population is over 65 and over.

https://www.infoplease.com/us/comprehensive-census-data-state/demographic-statistics-58

Number

Percent

Total population 15,982,378 100.0

SEX AND AGE
Male 7,797,715 48.8
Female 8,184,663 51.2

Under 5 years 945,823 5.9
5 to 9 years 1,031,718 6.5
10 to 14 years 1,057,024 6.6
15 to 19 years 1,014,067 6.3
20 to 24 years 928,310 5.8
25 to 34 years 2,084,100 13.0
35 to 44 years 2,485,247 15.5
45 to 54 years 2,069,479 12.9
55 to 59 years 821,517 5.1
60 to 64 years 737,496 4.6
65 to 74 years 1,452,176 9.1
75 to 84 years 1,024,134 6.4
85 years and over 331,287 2.1

Median age (years) 38.7 (X)

18 years and over 12,336,038 77.2
Male
5,926,729 37.1
Female
6,409,309 40.1
21 years and over 11,736,378 73.4
62 years and over 3,245,806 20.3
65 years and over 2,807,597 17.6
Male
1,216,647 7.6
Female
1,590,950 10.0
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Mike J said:

It would appear that 17.6 percent of the population is over 65 and over.

https://www.infoplease.com/us/comprehensive-census-data-state/demographic-statistics-58

Is there an easy way to move state to state?  I searched California and found it.  They are just over 10%

An interesting tidbit I heard about Florida for the past few years.  Approximately 1000 people move to Florida everyday.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Is there an easy way to move state to state?  I searched California and found it.  They are just over 10%

An interesting tidbit I heard about Florida for the past few years.  Approximately 1000 people move to Florida everyday.

Try clicking the "Browse" button at the top.  Under U.S., click on "States".   Lots of interesting data they have collected.

I actually just googled "population demographics Florida" and this site was top of the list.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Mike J said:

Try clicking the "Browse" button at the top.  Under U.S., click on "States".   Lots of interesting data they have collected.

I actually just googled "population demographics Florida" and this site was top of the list.

Very inconsistent presentation.  On the U.S. map, I clicked on Texas and there a lot of stuff, and over 65 was summed up on the lower left.  10.3.  So I went back and clicked Arizona.  It took me to a similar page, but it didn't have the 65 number.  So I clicked on More Arizona Census Data and it took me directly to a chart that had Apache County and All Arizona statistics side by side.  Crazy.  That data was from 2005 and says Arizona is  12.8% over 65.  I thought it might be closer to Florida as it is also a retirement state.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Quote from the article on the misleading COVID stats in the U.S.:

If I live another 10 years I could proudly say I lived through the statistics era and print my T shirt as such. But for others it probably wont be a virus that killed them but an ongoing stats build up on the brain. Apparently hard to relive the pressure. 

What could they call that, stat_19-20 or something. 

Just laughing here and not having a go at anyone or thing, just an ongoing debate :56da64a10ceee_1(235):

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

The video down below is from April and she is the Director of Public Health in Illinois.  This supports a point myself and several others have made.  Covid deaths are severely over counted in the U.S.  Around 42% of counted COVID deaths in the U.S. are from nursing homes.  And old people not in nursing homes are counted the same way.

https://freopp.org/the-covid-19-nursing-home-crisis-by-the-numbers-3a47433c3f70

As I said before, the average lifespan of people entering nursing homes is only 6 months.  So this way of counting Covid deaths has a huge impact on the numbers.

I can't imagine why they would want to err on over-counting and never talk about this problem.  Especially the media.  It is so puzzling!  :89:  Not!  There is an election coming!

Does anyone know if they count the deaths differently in other countries?

Edited by OnMyWay

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic