So much for the "Swedish way"!

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

If you don't get it at all, you are not even included in that calculation.  So if you come up with a calculation to included the entire population of 30-59, that % falls even more.  A lot more.  That would be a better estimate of risk of dying of Covid for a 30-59 year old.

Yes but we can't calculate the risk of dying in a  population because that is a formula using delta T that we can't do now because T is unknown so we can't work out the real risk of dying of Covid during pandemic for a 30-59 year old.  That will remain unknown and unknowable until some point in the future.

Therefore we are restricted to using only the infected individuals (or at worst an estimate of infected indiiduals).

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

You Know with all this talk, Charts and what nots,  I wonder if anyone here or any Foreigner has caught or become ill with this issue? For me, this will tell us something if we get a negative on this question

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

You Know with all this talk, Charts and what nots,  I wonder if anyone here or any Foreigner has caught or become ill with this issue? For me, this will tell us something if we get a negative on this question

There have been no cases in Subic Bay Freeport.  None.  There were 14 confirmed cases in Olongapo, but most of them seemed to be weird situations.  E.g., a nurse who works in Bataan but lives in Olongapo, and is in the hospital in Bataan, is counted in Olongapo cases.  2 deaths in Olongapo and one was a tiny baby who got it from his mom, but he had heart disease and died.

My niece in Colorado THINKS she had it and her doctor said she probably had it.  She was better in a week and I think she stayed home for 14 days.  She is early 50s.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
On 6/9/2020 at 5:59 AM, GeoffH said:

The New Zealand government have officially declared the country Covid-19 free and internal restrictions have been stopped (international travel restrictions and incoming quarantine remains so that the country can stay Covid-19 free).   They can live their normal lives until a vaccine is developed.

That seems preferable to Swedens method to me; no lockdown, no social distancing, schools and work places open and all that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/08/new-zealand-abandons-covid-19-restrictions-after-nation-declared-no-cases

New Zealand has one geographic factor in its favor which makes a lockdown much more effective. It is isolated by the ocean from other countries. What works in one geographic and political location will not necessarily work in another.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, earthdome said:

New Zealand has one geographic factor in its favor which makes a lockdown much more effective. It is isolated by the ocean from other countries. What works in one geographic and political location will not necessarily work in another.

Britain is also an island.. they could have locked down at the same time as NZ.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

My niece in Colorado THINKS she had it

Hope all is well there OMW but to the Post, I was really talking about us long nose Whities here in the Philippines, Seems all the Deaths are  mainly from either Asian Area countries or surrounding ones.  We don't hear about Western deaths here in the Philippines ( At least I have not) Bye that, I mean Expats living here  :89:

RBM
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, earthdome said:

Is that same as the UK ? There results certainty do not impress.

RBM
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Hope all is well there OMW but to the Post, I was really talking about us long nose Whities here in the Philippines, Seems all the Deaths are  mainly from either Asian Area countries or surrounding ones.  We don't hear about Western deaths here in the Philippines ( At least I have not) Bye that, I mean Expats living here  :89:

jack I know of one American whom was admitted to St Lukes with corona, over P1 million later he was discharged, I understand he was on a ventilator.

• Hmm thinking 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, RBM said:

Is that same as the UK ? There results certainty do not impress.

New Zealand did everything correct, the Brits did everything wrong.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I haven't but my circle is minute, Jack.  I suppose when we consider the infection rate is so low anyway, and then the number of foreigners here is also low it's not surprising.  That said, a reasonably high number of use here are in the risk group. 

In short, I dunno! 

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic