So much for the "Swedish way"!

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

This is the global daily deaths.  Still in a down trend, but the last weeks are flattish, probably due to S. America and a few other countries.

If you plug in the 7 day moving average, the global daily death moving average started to rise end of May, first of June.  US deaths are still trending down, but new cases went flat end of May, start of June.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Whatever way you cut it, however you view the data and the stats, and even if you don't agree with the principal of locking down, how anyone can not see that keeping people apart during an outbreak of a virus that is transmitted by contact is a good idea is surely ignoring logic? Now, the extent of lockdowns, the timing, the length etc etc can be and should be open to debate but can we really seriously dispute the logic of them in themselves?

I won't say stats don't lie but they don't - only the people who manipulate them do. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Mike J said:

If you plug in the 7 day moving average, the global daily death moving average started to rise end of May, first of June.  US deaths are still trending down, but new cases went flat end of May, start of June.

I missed that 7 day average tickbox.  Actually the reported 7 day averages after the downtrend stopped are fairly flat, just rose a bit.  Downtrend ended on May 30 at 3908.  Trend up from then is slight, with June 12 being 4320.  As I mentioned, South America deaths are probably supporting that.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Whatever way you cut it, however you view the data and the stats, and even if you don't agree with the principal of locking down, how anyone can not see that keeping people apart during an outbreak of a virus that is transmitted by contact is a good idea is surely ignoring logic? Now, the extent of lockdowns, the timing, the length etc etc can be and should be open to debate but can we really seriously dispute the logic of them in themselves?

I won't say stats don't lie but they don't - only the people who manipulate them do. 

I'm not sure if you might mean me, but I do favor keeping people apart.  I favor most of the preventative measures.  A few weeks back I wrote what I thought would be a good plan, but it does not include shutting down the entire economy.  Certain sectors might have to be closed or limited, but I think most factory type settings can make modifications that allow people to keep working.  Most small businesses can too.  Airlines and tourist industries, well, they are fairly screwed.

Most of our businesses here in the Freeport are now in a good mode.  Limits on the number of customers.  Hand cleaner at the doors.  Face masks required all the time.  Plastic shields at the cashiers.  Social distancing being enforced at the malls.

For myself, I am high risk, but I think I can take care of myself.  Stay away from crowds, don't go out much, wear a mask, use a lot of sanitizer gel, use the extra time to get in shape and improve my immune system.  Same for my family even though they are not high risk.  We can take precautions while letting most people make a living.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the new SM Central mall in Olongapo and our freeport Ayala mall.  Part of it is because they are not crowded, but everyone was happily complying with rules and directions.

Note from Admin

Removed political views. Read the forum rules.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I left out a word.  "Daily". 

global daily deaths.  Still in a down trend, but the last weeks are flattish, probably due to S. America and a few other countries.

Outcomes of closed cases are also getting better.  Treatments are improving.  Very encouraging but of course not included in the MSN / Washington Post article.

Fair enough, 'daily' does make a big difference and yes outcomes of closed cases are improving (at least in cases with access to good hospital care).

I suspect the flatish daily case numbers are the result of downwards trending numbers in the USA and Western Europe being counterbalanced by increasing case numbers in South America, Africa and Eastern Europe.

I'm not as optimistic about what will happen to that flat curve as you, I suspect that given the generally weaker health systems in the countries trending upward and their higher total populations that we'll see world total daily deaths start trending upwards again in a while (I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am).

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not sure if you might mean me, but I do favor keeping people apart.  I favor most of the preventative measures.  A few weeks back I wrote what I thought would be a good plan, but it does not include shutting down the entire economy.  Certain sectors might have to be closed or limited, but I think most factory type settings can make modifications that allow people to keep working.  Most small businesses can too.  Airlines and tourist industries, well, they are fairly screwed.

Most of our businesses here in the Freeport are now in a good mode.  Limits on the number of customers.  Hand cleaner at the doors.  Face masks required all the time.  Plastic shields at the cashiers.  Social distancing being enforced at the malls.

For myself, I am high risk, but I think I can take care of myself.  Stay away from crowds, don't go out much, wear a mask, use a lot of sanitizer gel, use the extra time to get in shape and improve my immune system.  Same for my family even though they are not high risk.  We can take precautions while letting most people make a living.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the new SM Central mall in Olongapo and our freeport Ayala mall.  Part of it is because they are not crowded, but everyone was happily complying with rules and directions.

What gets my dander up is when I see articles that are so slanted that they just can't make one positive trend or outcome known.  Why would U.S. press be slanted?  IMHO they don't give shit how many die or how many are out of work.  As long as the next president is not the current one.  Slight exaggeration but you know what I mean.  If we elect a new president, the press coverage will change 180 degrees, no matter what the doddering old fool says or does.

Not directed at you at all OMW - by people I meant all those who see no point in lockdowns at all.

We're on the same page in terms of the need for them, maybe not on the same paragraph but close enough.

As for the media - well, i watch CNN regularly because it's entertaining and I have zero interest in US politics and similar with UK too. I'm only concerned about how I'm impacted by such. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

I will say that I agree that the media certainly does slant things depending on their political leanings. And they also sensationalize whatever they "report." No arguments there.

Maybe the lockdowns seemed extreme for some at the time, or even now? However, they DID give a lot of breathing space and bought time for doctors, scientists and "the powers that be" to get at least a bit of a handle on how to deal with this new and unknown scourge.

As noted by several of you above, there are now current controls and suggestions in place over much of the world that - as noted specifically by @hk blues - make sense and seem to be slowing the spread of the contagion... Imagine if there weren't the original lockdowns...what would have happened outside of Wuhan? Seattle? New York? Well... we can only imagine, of course.

Here in Davao, many people flout the mask directives, ignore the social distancing and generally don't seem to care. But enough folks do seem to take precautions and, at least, this thing is not raging out of control. So I think the bottom line is that the strict controls served a purpose and now that there is a bit more knowledge available, this is now somewhat controllable... at least those are my thoughts...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

As with a few of my recent comments... I am not really sure where to place this one. I will just post the link here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-surge-in-south-and-west-looks-different-from-norths/ar-BB1615Ph?li=BBnb7Kz

Interestingly, this article seems to indicate a couple of things...

One is that this virus is not going away for a while.

Two is that it is finally striking some of the "invincible" or totally immune youth of the world?

Three is that we are all still at risk. I would like to hear now from those naysayers who have stated all along that this is not a serious health issue or a problem for most humans? Why are you all so quiet now????

Sorry... that was my mini-rant for today... 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/15/2020 at 8:41 AM, RBM said:

I have mentioned before and the article mentions it, but I think their biggest failure was not protecting the elderly betters.  The deaths in Sweden are very old people.  89% over 70.

Sweden Covid Deaths By Age      
As Of June 26      
Age Deaths % Cum %
90 1351 25.59% 25.59%
80-89 2191 41.50% 67.08%
70-79 1151 21.80% 88.88%
60-69 369 6.99% 95.87%
50-59 152 2.88% 98.75%
40-49 44 0.83% 99.58%
30-39 13 0.25% 99.83%
20-29 8 0.15% 99.98%
10-19 0 0.00% 99.98%