So much for the "Swedish way"!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Where I live we locked down for 3 months and had more deaths due to drug overdoses in one month than all covid deaths in the 3 months

https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2020/06/11/may-deadliest-month-ever-for-fatal-overdoses-on-vancouver-island/

In terms of relevance - how many of those who died of drug overdose would have died anyway?

15 hours ago, adrian canuck said:

So you would rip up all the hiways to stop driving fatalities ? 1.35 million die every year.

Life is inherently fraught with peril.

But locking down the economy, forcing people to take completely unreasonable precautions for very little gain is crazy.

Life comes with risk - the more we can do to reduce the risk the better. According to the scientists, lockdowns work in terms of reducing the number of deaths - I'm willing to take their guidance and follow it. 

Very little gain - the UK would have saved 50% of its deaths had it locked down 1 week earlier according to reports. That's a very big gain.

I personally don't find the precautions unreasonable but everyone will view them differently.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Link?

Try this one too, Dave... Good, happy news for those who want to go out and pass on the contagion to all their peers, friends and relatives... Cheers!

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/world/the-coronavirus-pandemic-isn-t-ending-it-s-surging/ar-BB15kngo?li=BBZAn2m

Of course... the statistics might be way wrong and actually the virus is really going away? I will let you all decide for yourselves... I am too tired of all this to research it beyond reading headlines...

But I will continue with my sarcasm here... What has humanity learned collectively? Not to fight wars? Virus and other contagions (plague, Spanish Flu?) and illnesses that can harm or kill us? Pollution that may (yes... I said "may") destroy or at least influence our way of life? Nah... let's just keep on with our heads in the sand... safer to just not see what is happening in our world around us and because of us. Soon enough I will be gone and not need to worry about it any more...

Edit: I guess that is my micro-rant for today... I have some Tanduay again so I will feel better soon...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Allowing football (soccer) to be continued next week in the UK. already Germany and Spain kick off already.

Are we ready for the next wave?

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Where I live we locked down for 3 months and had more deaths due to drug overdoses in one month than all covid deaths in the 3 months

https://nanaimonewsnow.com/2020/06/11/may-deadliest-month-ever-for-fatal-overdoses-on-vancouver-island/

How about suicides?  Untreated other diseases?  Undetected cancer which might have been stopped but will not kill them?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

How about suicides?  Untreated other diseases?  Undetected cancer which might have been stopped but will not kill them?

Undoubtedly these will all have been impacted OMW. Sadly, even in normal times healthcare is prioritised and people live at the expense of others.

The question is have lockdowns saved more lives than would otherwise have been lost? The experts tell us undoubtedly they have so I'll trust them in the absence of any better opinion. I'm not blindly trusting them though - looking at various countries and when/how they locked down the numbers tend to support the experts opinion. 

I'll cite Japan as an often used example of why lockdowns aren't needed. Japan didn't (cannot) impose a lockdown but did issue the strongest guidance possible - and Japanese people followed it probably better than some countries who had formal lockdowns. So, lockdowns even in another name seem to have an impact.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

In terms of relevance - how many of those who died of drug overdose would have died anyway?

Funny you mentioned it, because that is what I have been saying all along about elderly Covid deaths.  I get slapped for that.  "Even if is only a week or a month or a year, Covid is robbing them of life.".

Average lifespan after entering a nursing home in the US, about 6 months.

This guy, Professor Neil Ferguson, was the lead of the Imperial College team who put out the big scare in early March, saying 250,000 would die in UK by May.  On March 25th, he put this out, saying now the estimate was 20,000 by May and that 3/4 would have died anyway.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/25/two-thirds-patients-die-coronavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway/

That Imperial College team was the same team who were in the BBC article posted by Mike J.  They took credit for saving 3 million + lives because they started the lockdown movement.

However, Professor Neil Ferguson was no longer on the team.  He was supposed to have Covid and be on quarantine, but he snuck out because he met a woman online and wanted to meetup.  He is now Disgraced Professor Neil Ferguson without a job.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Funny you mentioned it, because that is what I have been saying all along about elderly Covid deaths.  I get slapped for that.  "Even if is only a week or a month or a year, Covid is robbing them of life.".

Average lifespan after entering a nursing home in the US, about 6 months.

This guy, Professor Neil Ferguson, was the lead of the Imperial College team who put out the big scare in early March, saying 250,000 would die in UK by May.  On March 25th, he put this out, saying now the estimate was 20,000 by May and that 3/4 would have died anyway.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/25/two-thirds-patients-die-coronavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway/

That Imperial College team was the same team who were in the BBC article posted by Mike J.  They took credit for saving 3 million + lives because they started the lockdown movement.

However, Professor Neil Ferguson was no longer on the team.  He was supposed to have Covid and be on quarantine, but he snuck out because he met a woman online and wanted to meetup.  He is now Disgraced Professor Neil Ferguson without a job.

So the debate rages.....will we ever know...Is the treatment worse than the virus.......Will we ever know.

The link above Tommy posted is very mind shaking, wonder if ever there will be confirmed facts. 

is it a choice   Economy verses health......sacrifice some elderly whom were going to pass over soon anyway. Who would of thought this 6 months ago.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Try this one too, Dave... Good, happy news for those who want to go out and pass on the contagion to all their peers, friends and relatives... Cheers!

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/world/the-coronavirus-pandemic-isn-t-ending-it-s-surging/ar-BB15kngo?li=BBZAn2m

Of course... the statistics might be way wrong and actually the virus is really going away? I will let you all decide for yourselves... I am too tired of all this to research it beyond reading headlines...

24 minutes ago, RBM said:

The link above Tommy posted is very mind shaking, wonder if ever there will be confirmed facts. 

What is going up?  Cases.  What is going up?  Testing!  What is going down?  Deaths.

I am not trying to say there is a good story here, but the author is either stupid, or deliberately trying to mislead, by leaving out important facts.  It is a 3 paragraph story, with an "alarming" headline to suck people in.

Some countries, mainly S. America, are still early in the cycle.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What is going up?  Cases.  What is going up?  Testing!  What is going down?  Deaths.

Deaths are still going up (the rate of increase is roughly linear) and doesn't show much sign of slowing.

The graph indicates that we're still in the upward phase, not the recovery phase.

total-deaths-covid-19.png

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Deaths are still going up (the rate of increase is roughly linear) and doesn't show much sign of slowing.

The graph indicates that we're still in the upward phase, not the recovery phase.

total-deaths-covid-19.png

I left out a word.  "Daily".  Daily deaths are trending down.  Total deaths can never go down.  The article referred to daily cases going up.

Total daily cases = up.  Daily testing = up.  Daily deaths = down

This is the global daily deaths.  Still in a down trend, but the last weeks are flattish, probably due to S. America and a few other countries.

Screenshot (154).png

The is the U.S. Daily deaths.  

Screenshot (156).png

Outcomes of closed cases are also getting better.  Treatments are improving.  Very encouraging but of course not included in the MSN / Washington Post article.

Screenshot (158).png

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic