Seniors Stay at Home

hk blues
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, peterfe said:

We're still under GCQ in Cebu Province, and like a good boy, I've been following the rules for seniors and stayed at (or very near) home for the past three months. But things are getting more laid back now, so I (over 60), partner and niece (under 21) decided to take a trip to town. The checkpoints were laid back, they only checked our temperature on arrival at the mall, and some of the restaurants inside were dine-in (which they're not supposed to be under GCQ). But what I really wanted to talk about was wearing a mask - this was the first time I'd worn one, except for a few seconds when practising at home. Very unpleasant feeling! Feels like you're half suffocating. Seems they'll be compulsory on all flights - imagine taking a night flight to Europe with one of those things on while you're sleeping! You'd be dreaming that you were drowning, suffocating, I don't know what! Well, if I survived the flight and the country I went to had a rule about wearing masks at all times in public places, I'd make myself a packed lunch and a thermos flask of coffee every day and head for the woods or the mountains where no-one could see me, rather than walk around town in a permanent state of semi-suffocation! Rant over - yes, I know they're important for preventing the spread of Covid-19, but I hate wearing the effing things!:Mad:

You get used to it, at least enough to make it bearable. 

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, peterfe said:

yes, I know they're important for preventing the spread of Covid-19, but I hate wearing the effing things!:Mad:

Depending upon the mask type they can reduce the oxygen you breathe in by as much as 30%, it isn't just your imagination that 'suffocating' sensation.

But yes you can adapt, as you can to living at a higher altitude but it takes time.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Depending upon the mask type they can reduce the oxygen you breathe in by as much as 30%, it isn't just your imagination that 'suffocating' sensation.

But yes you can adapt, as you can to living at a higher altitude but it takes time.

We was doing some shopping in town and the face mask I was wearing was made of cloth, I said to her 'I can't breath' so we marched into a drug store and bought some surgical mask. what big difference they make.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jimeve said:

We was doing some shopping in town and the face mask I was wearing was made of cloth, I said to her 'I can't breath' so we marched into a drug store and bought some surgical mask. what big difference they make.

Yup... much better airflow, I used surgical masks for that exact reason.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

peterfe
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, jimeve said:

Yes, of course, I didn't think of that in my frustration at "suffocating". Obviously, surgeons and other clinicians couldn't do their job properly if they felt they were suffocating! I'll try and get hold of a surgical one. I read somewhere that they're not as effective in keeping out Covid-19 as some other types, but as we live in a very low-risk area and I don't intend to spend hours hanging around in public places, I'll happily take that chance :biggrin:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, peterfe said:

I'll try and get hold of a surgical one.

Seems to be plenty here in pharmacy's, 7/11 and even in the supermarket but this is Cebu city and might be different in other areas. 

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic