Leaving the UK

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Theres a lof of good advice here @Terry. You would be wise to listen to all the advice proferred here. In some ways its an excellent country and in many ways its seriously screwed up. Hopefully patience is one of your skill sets as its required. In spades.

You may also want to presuse the numerous youtube clips that show foreigners being scammed, being caught in adultery stings and then property stings. All swore they were marrying their sweethearts only to find they lost everthing through their naivety and blind trust. Am sure your girl is " different" but forewarned is forarmed.

If you are an international traveller, some of this will be old news but if you are a newbie, then the more you learn about this country in advance, the better.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Plenty get scammed, most don't. In this situation, the only comment I would make is do nothing expensive until the annulment is in place.  And make sure you have the actual document in your hand. 

• Like 1

Terry P
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Hi TerryP welcome to the forum.  Good luck with your future endevours but take things slowly and one step at a time.  The Philippines at times defies logic to freshly landed Westerners and even some of the more seasoned veterans.

There's legal law and laws of probability here. Each one can be interpretated depending on what day of the week, what side of the bed those involved in get out of and who is connected to who.

Deal with the annulment first before spending  a single peso in any business, write this out one thousand times and place it on the fridge, CR and above the TV.

I had a partner for two years who is married with a daughter and abandoned by her partner, he is/was an Overseas Foreign Worker who only has enough contact with the daughter to keep his head above water.  There are laws that fathers must pay maintenance and he pays the bare minimum as his visa depends on it.  It's true that you can go to jail for adultery even though the husband has abandoned his wife but there are family courts the wife can go to where she can get a certificate of abandonment.  This will give you and her some protection in law from accusations of adultery. It could save you in 99% of cases but if you get a religious judge you could still do time. Ensure your partner seeks advice on this, not being funny but get concrete evidence that she does it as many will say they will do something here but doing it is a whole new ball game. 

The reason why you "MUST" get an annulment before spending a peso is you are a foreigner ripe for the picking.  You spend your Worldly savings on a business which won't be in your name and the husband appears crying adultery, or his family or a greedy family member get involved and you get reported, at best your visa will be cancelled, you blacklisted and kicked out of the country, never to return.  Goodbye savings.  

Thanks for that snowy

I've told her your advice about certificate of abandonment and she is going to her attorney to enquire

I've already invested a modest sum which will no big deal if this goes belly up

But I take on board what you say when considering future investment

• Like 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Freebie said:

Theres a lof of good advice here @Terry. You would be wise to listen to all the advice proferred here. In some ways its an excellent country and in many ways its seriously screwed up. Hopefully patience is one of your skill sets as its required. In spades.

You may also want to presuse the numerous youtube clips that show foreigners being scammed, being caught in adultery stings and then property stings. All swore they were marrying their sweethearts only to find they lost everthing through their naivety and blind trust. Am sure your girl is " different" but forewarned is forarmed.

If you are an international traveller, some of this will be old news but if you are a newbie, then the more you learn about this country in advance, the better.

Thanks freebie

Got plenty of experience spending time in foreign lands but nothing in Asia

It's happening no doubt about that

Gathering as much information as I can from yourselves whether it be positive or negative I'm sure is going to be of great help

Terry P
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

Plenty get scammed, most don't. In this situation, the only comment I would make is do nothing expensive until the annulment is in place.  And make sure you have the actual document in your hand. 

Thanks hk

Seeing documentary proof I think is correct

I don't think she deliberately doesn't do stuff but has a more serious case of manana than the Spanish

Asking 20 times usually gets a result

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Thanks hk

Seeing documentary proof I think is correct

I don't think she deliberately doesn't do stuff but has a more serious case of manana than the Spanish

Asking 20 times usually gets a result

You're lucky Terry - only 20 times!

• Haha 2

Terry P
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You're lucky Terry - only 20 times!

I am prone to understatement occasionally

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Moving on from the anulment side if you get into a family business ensure the family has actual experience in that business and a proven record. Filipinos have a great mind for setting up businesses but limited experience or foresight to see pitfalls. They see a dream, put two and two together and suddenly they will be millionaires without having to try.

• Like 5

stevewool
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

. They see a dream, put two and two together and suddenly they will be millionaires without having to try.

They see a person who they may try to fleece, but not all of them I must add.

Terry P
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, stevewool said:

They see a person who they may try to fleece, but not all of them I must add.

They own a haulage business run by 2 of the sons

The third is working in Norway ploughing money back home

They tell me they don't want my money it's not necessary

It's my decision to contribute eventually

I appreciate the cautionary advice but on this occasion the greatest amount of trust is coming from them

• Like 2