Leaving the UK

Terry P
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Explorer said:

This does not make any sense... So what you are saying is that once tourists are allowed, if I want to go on vacation and spend 2 weeks in Philippines and 1 week in Hong Kong, I will need to take 24 hours flights from Miami to Philippines, spend 2 weeks in the Philippines, spend another 24 hours to return to Miami on the same airline and then take another 24 hours flights from Miami to Hong kong for the rest of my vacation? Make no sense at all...

I think you may have misinterpreted

What we're talking about is ticket requirements to gain entry and get a visa extension for the Philippines

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, TerryP said:

I think you may have misinterpreted

What we're talking about is ticket requirements to gain entry and get a visa extension for the Philippines

I don't think so... You said that you are going to apply for tourist visa, is it correct? If so, regardless of what you plan to do at the end of your Philippines "tour" (extend it or travel to a neighboring country), the requirement to gain entry as a tourist is the same.

Edited by Explorer

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Explorer said:

This does not make any sense... So what you are saying is that once tourists are allowed, if I want to go on vacation and spend 2 weeks in Philippines and 1 week in Hong Kong, I will need to take 24 hours flights from Miami to Philippines, spend 2 weeks in the Philippines, spend another 24 hours to return to Miami on the same airline and then take another 24 hours flights from Miami to Hong kong for the rest of my vacation? Make no sense at all...

I think what is meant is when you fly in as a tourist you must have proof an exit flight. Sometimes a return flight is cheaper than a single so get a return to Miami then also book a flight to Hong Kong and back to Miami. Or if you strike lucky check out flights to the Philippines then onto Hong Kong and back to Miami.

• Like 3

Explorer
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I think what is meant is when you fly in as a tourist you must have proof an exit flight. Sometimes a return flight is cheaper than a single so get a return to Miami then also book a flight to Hong Kong and back to Miami. Or if you strike lucky check out flights to the Philippines then onto Hong Kong and back to Miami.

Ok... I am almost giving up on you guys... I am flying internationally for many years, always booking one way tickets and using "throw away" tickets for my exit flights. Now a guy on this thread claims that, because of covid, airlines will demand that you purchase a return ticket from them instead of using a cheap "throw away" ticket to exit the country. So unless he or anybody else show me where airlines are making new rules for return flights because of covid, I call it BS and this conversation is going nowhere.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Ok... I am almost giving up on you guys... I am flying internationally for many years,

Do you realize that almost every member here is also flying internationally for many years?  So the consensus seems to be that the membership are replying to you and saying they, politely, . .

14 minutes ago, Explorer said:

call it BS and this conversation is going nowhere

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Ok... I am almost giving up on you guys... I am flying internationally for many years, always booking one way tickets and using "throw away" tickets for my exit flights. Now a guy on this thread claims that, because of covid, airlines will demand that you purchase a return ticket from them instead of using a cheap "throw away" ticket to exit the country. So unless he or anybody else show me where airlines are making new rules for return flights because of covid, I call it BS and this conversation is going nowhere.

Airlines are cracking down on throwaway tickets in general not just due to covid.  I've used a throwaway ticket and the airline ( Cebu Pacific) cross referenced it to ensure it was  genuine ticket before allowing me to board. Many websites are actual scams and use made up flight details. Where covid comes in is many countries will exclude you from entry due to being an American and your covid cases being so high. Currently you won't get into Hong Kong anyway. Wait a few months and watch your flight prices shoot up. https://simpleflying.com/airlines-banning-throwaway-ticketing/

• Like 2

Explorer
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

What the quoted post is trying to say is that sometimes, a return flight is cheaper than a throw away flight.  This is often the case if someone already lives in the region and very occasionally true outside of SE Asia.  As a seasoned international traveller, you'd know that flight prices can be wildly variable.  No one on this forum is trying to deliberately mislead anyone; as is often the case with all things travel related, and almost everything in PI, your mileage will vary.  

Of course... If round trip is cheaper, go ahead and buy it but my beef is that the claim that was in that post is that because of covid, if you not buy round trip the airline may not let you board the plane.

Just checked flights from Miami to Manila, one way $480, round trip $865, so it is almost double and if I intend to visit Hong Kong after Manila I am not sure how an airline can force me to buy a return trip from Manila to Miami?

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Airlines are cracking down on throwaway tickets in general not just due to covid.  I've used a throwaway ticket and the airline ( Cebu Pacific) cross referenced it to ensure it was  genuine ticket before allowing me to board. Many websites are actual scams and use made up flight details. Where covid comes in is many countries will exclude you from entry due to being an American and your covid cases being so high. Currently you won't get into Hong Kong anyway. Wait a few months and watch your flight prices shoot up. https://simpleflying.com/airlines-banning-throwaway-ticketing/

So if I buy 2 tickets for my trip, Miami -> Manila and Manila -> Hong Kong, the airline agent at the airport can now read minds and say "Oh no, the MNL -> HKG ticket is not a real ticket, it is a throw away ticket, you cannot board the plane!"?

Not sure of what scams you are talking about, if you have a reservation number and it showing on the agent's system under your name, it is a valid ticket.

Edited by Explorer

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Explorer said:

Not sure of what scams you are talking about, if you have a reservation number and it showing on the agent's system under your name, it is a valid ticket.

That's true as far as it goes but do you have a right to enter Hong Kong on your throwaway ticket? (Yes I know you're not going to use it but that's not the point I'm making).

I'm not sure what the current status of entry to Hong Kong is for foreigners but if tourist entry isn't allowed I'd be uncomfortable in the current situation using a throwaway ticket to that destination.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't use a throwaway ticket.  I'm just saying I'd make sure it was one that was fully valid to use and you had a valid right of entry to the destination country *yes even though you don't intend to use it*

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 3