MGCQ versus GCQ - my experience

peterfe
Posted
Posted

We drove from near Carmen (Cebu Province) (MGCQ) to Lapu-Lapu (GCQ) yesterday to extend my visa. Not much to say about the BI in Mactan, it's already been mentioned that it's quick and easy to get a six-month extension. I did see a notice that seemed to say they had stopped issuing stickers for good, which could be good news if you don't want to fill up your passport pages too soon.

Anyway, we both have general passes issued by the barangay saying we can go out for essential goods and services. But to travel to a GCQ area, we needed a specific one-day pass from Carmen Municipality which states the car number and reason for travel. So we got one, and expected to have to show it at one or two checkpoints. There were a number of these on the way, but none of them stopped us or any other cars or motorbikes, as far as I could see. (NB: just because it was plain sailing for us, that doesn't mean you don't need a pass! Who knows what might happen another time). But what was interesting (though perhaps hardly surprising!) was that the GCQ area (Lapu-Lapu) was more laid-back than our MGCQ area. All the shops were open, all the restaurants I saw were dine-in as well as take-out, and we didn't find any restrictions for seniors in the two malls and one supermarket we went to. Whereas here, under the supposedly more liberal MGCQ, S can only go to the one supermarket in Carmen once a week and I can never go, being a senior. In Danao, the nearest big town, we can shop three days a week, but seniors aren't allowed in to one of the two large malls and a number of shops and restaurants are still closed. :unsure:  

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Hmm thinking 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, peterfe said:

it's already been mentioned that it's quick and easy to get a six-month extension.

Can you list your age and what extensions you got prior to receiving that 6 months? I've been told those may limit the option. 

3 hours ago, peterfe said:

I did see a notice that seemed to say they had stopped issuing stickers for good, which could be good news if you don't want to fill up your passport pages too soon.

I  wonder what the actual reason for that is. What proof did they give you, a printout?

peterfe
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shady said:

Can you list your age and what extensions you got prior to receiving that 6 months? I've been told those may limit the option. 

I am 71 and I'd already had two six-month extensions (also in Mactan). I know that some BIs will only give you two-month extensions after you've had two six-month ones. I think (but I'm not entirely sure) that Mactan would give more than two six-month extensions whatever your age.

1 hour ago, Shady said:

I  wonder what the actual reason for that is. What proof did they give you, a printout?

They give you the receipt and attach it to the back cover of your passport. On the receipt they clearly mark the expiry date, in my case February 2021. There is a notice in the BI saying more or less "Don't lose it or you won't get another extension"! 

• Like 3

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, peterfe said:

I think (but I'm not entirely sure) that Mactan would give more than two six-month extensions whatever your age.

I may have to test this. Were you overdue, due to the lockdowns, and was this any issue besides the additional payment?

peterfe
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shady said:

I may have to test this. Were you overdue, due to the lockdowns, and was this any issue besides the additional payment?

Not overdue, it expired in early August. Because of Covid-19, you won't actually go inside the BI, a man at the door will give you a form, you fill it out outside, give it back to him with your passport. Just put 6 months on it, and I would guess they won't notice or care about your age. A bit later the man will come and tell you how much you have to pay, you give it to him, wait a bit more, and back comes your passport with the receipt attached. I paid 9900 pesos but that included a renewal of my ACR card. Good luck!

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, peterfe said:

Because of Covid-19, you won't actually go inside the BI, a man at the door will give you a form, you fill it out outside, give it back to him with your passport, and I would guess they won't notice or care about your age. A bit later the man will come and tell you how much you have to pay, you give it to him, wait a bit more, and back comes your passport

Went today, I have an early August expire as well, took all of 14 minutes, yes I timed it, only 2 of us there and very few staff that I could see, still no stamps. So much different from LTO around the corner, took the car for licence renewal, gave myself 4 hours and was pretty spot on, no rego stamps there either, must be contagious.

• Like 1

soupeod
Posted
Posted

I have found from listening to folks all over the Philippines, it all depends on your location and what BI you go to.  I have received 4-six month extensions in a row from the closest BI.   I have heard horror stories of the BI in J-Mall, Cebu. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 7/29/2020 at 6:31 AM, peterfe said:

But what was interesting (though perhaps hardly surprising!) was that the GCQ area (Lapu-Lapu) was more laid-back than our MGCQ area. All the shops were open, all the restaurants I saw were dine-in as well as take-out, and we didn't find any restrictions for seniors in the two malls and one supermarket we went to

Nothing is surprising as one hand does not know what the other is doing for example Cebu city went to GQC today but the mayor says according to a news report that,

Public Transportation
Buses will already be allowed to ply city streets to provide transportation to travelers during the GCQ.

However, the operation of taxis, PUJs, and other public transportation will remain suspended. 

But taxis everywhere in the IT Park today and probably everywhere else. And then and this is regarding that everyone is still meant to stay home Sundays but the Malls are open last week and the week before and will be tomorrow so really who knows what is meant to be correct.

However, the use of Q passes on Sundays remains suspended even as the city enters the general community quarantine (GCQ) status this Saturday, August 1.

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/330611/use-of-cebu-citys-q-passes-still-a-must-under-gcq

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Nothing is surprising as one hand does not know what the other is doing

I think the government is bumfuddled and really does not know what to do next or how to enforce the plans that they come up with.

Here in Metro M, infections are going up and up. The medical professionals want to return to a hard lockdown for two weeks.  The government is developing plans and policies and asking LGU's to implement them. 

I think what we are seeing is the result of years and years of dynastic government where cronyism counts more than qualifications. Its going to be an interesting coupled of weeks 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Public Transportation
Buses will already be allowed to ply city streets to provide transportation to travelers during the GCQ.

However, the operation of taxis, PUJs, and other public transportation will remain suspended.

Just to quote myself and rectify. Seems some news are quoting things from the last time we had GCQ . I have just read the new executive order and taxis are allowed. Although it still says no one out on a Sunday Im sure the mall will be open as they were during the last 2 weeks of MECQ.

If anyone wants to see the new order check here, 15 pages long and I cant be bothered uploading all of them :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=1713700622052273&story_fbid=3485538758201775

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic