Why go from your country.

Jack D
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

What's your theory on why some practical hate it here?

Everything that you and the others have already said, plus in my case, it would have cost me much more money to live in the same way that I lived in the USA if I had stayed in the Philippines.

Even eating out at a nice restaurant is much less expensive in the States than what I paid in the Philippines.

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Now for those who have such a hard time here or just want to go home I have a bit of a theory as to why so what do others think.

One thing you left out is English speaking people: I know there is a lot of English spoken but a simple request in English might see something different produced or a pout of the lips and a blank look.  Common for over there and after awhile it can get on you goat and if your weighing up the odds on if this is the lifestyle you want, you may as well buy that ticket home, it's not going to get any better.

Then there is the bloke coming over to a girlfriend, they've communicated by email, messanger, or he has had a lightning visit and liked what he see's.This is the place for him, the girlfriend speakes English, enough anway to ask for something and at the moment she understands what is expected of her in the relation. Then she puts him on a pedistal for all the relies to see and you sit around while they talk in their lingo completly ignoring you. 

This is only a small sample of what a forenger has to endure, then there is the con artist and the silver touged rougs trying to take you down, a bit like back home. Life over there is third world, ranting and raving about being conned or diddled isn't going to change the way some of the people are. Not every-one is out to rip the forenger off, basicly most are good people but the crooks are there.

When I was a younge bloke, all the Aisan countries where call " The Magistical Orient" Nothing has changed for me, con artists, rouges, murders, Bar girls, friendly people, cultural difference and the list goes on. So before you make up your mind to retire in an Aisan Country have a good look first and weigh up your odds before comitting to one country. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

softail
Posted
Posted
On 9/1/2020 at 7:04 PM, Jack D said:

Why go from your country?

I love travelling to many places, and I have spent time in many countries, but to me, "there's no place like home."

My stay in the Philippines taught me many things.

- I don't like being a foreigner.

- I don't like living in a place where time stands still.

- I don't like matching wits with people who are perpetually thinking like 15 years olds.

- I don't like living in a quasi-dictatorship.

- I miss speaking my native tongue and having people understand my sarcasm and jokes.

- I miss eating out at American restaurants, where they bring appetizers out long before the main dish, instead of crowding the table with appetizers and main dishes at the very same time,

- I love having the ability to vote!

- I also prefer to buy things (land, houses, etc.) in my own name, instead of my wife's name.

- As I approach 70, I'm even reluctant to leave my homeland for a holiday/vacation.

With all of that being said, I applaud all of those who have made the Philippines their homes.

May I ask you, why are you on a sight for expats in the Philippines?

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
On 9/22/2020 at 11:03 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I know my lady likes Canada, but she has not yet seen the cold.  A friend married a filipina and brought her to Edmonton.  She lasted almost a year before moving back to the Philippines.

I love Canada... It is clean and mostly very friendly.

But I hated the cold in winters when I lived in Toronto area... But having your warm Filipina girl should be more than enough to keep you warm during those cold times. Just buy a Hudson Bay blanket or a thick quilt and then snuggle and order room service - or Food Panda, or whatever they have there these days?:laugh:

• Like 3

Jack D
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, softail said:

May I ask you, why are you on a sight for expats in the Philippines?

I'm still interested in sharing my opinions and experiences of the Philippines since I still have friends in the Philippines and my wife's family still lives there.

May I ask you a question? Am I the only former expat on this forum?

• Like 2