Car Batteries - Part Deux

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Many moons ago I started a topic on car batteries and we had a long discussion.

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/28829-car-batteries-high-cost-low-lifespan/#comments

Funny thing is, I am looking for a battery again, and when I Googled "honda brio battery size Philippines", this topic was in the results!

So, time for an update, as both my batteries need / needed replacing again.

For my 2014 Trailblazer:

Battery 1 - OEM battery lasted about 17 months.  I think it was an AC Delco.  Side note, my regular shop just started stocking AC Delco batteries.

Battery 2 - Motolite Gold w/ 21 month warranty.  It lasted 24 months.

Battery 3 - Another Motolite Gold w/ 21 month warranty.  It lasted 27 months, until last week.

Battery 4 - I wanted to try Amaron and we now have at least one place that stocks them locally.  On Lazada, an Amaron  DIN 88 costs p9900 for the Hi Life Pro w/ 24 mo warranty.  That is a better battery than their entry level.  So I called the shop, and no stock for DIN 88 or 100.  He recommended one I had not heard of yet, Emtrac, and said they were as good as Amaron.  I had not heard of it so I looked it up.  Indian company, and their website says they supply for several car companies, and I found some positive reviews.  On Lazada, the Emtrac Plus DIN 100 with 24 month warranty is p8500.  I also called my regular shop, and he has Panasonic DIN 88 for p8800.  However, the Panasonic only had an 18 month warranty.

I went with the Emtrac Plus, 24 mo warranty, for p8800 less p200 trade-in.  It has the best specs, equal to the Amaron Hi Life Pro, of any of the truck / SUV batteries I have seen here.  100 AH, 900 CCA and 181 RC.  So now we will see how long it lasts.

https://www.emtracplus.com/

For my 2016 Honda Brio...

Battery 1 - OEM, 12 month warranty, lasted about 18 months.

Battery 2 - I could only find the tiny 35 ah Brio battery at one shop, a Panasonic.  15 month warranty, p2900.  I told my wife, after the Trailblazer battery failed, that the Brio would probably follow soon.  It is right at 30 months so has done well.  Sure enough, I went to fill up a few days ago, and left the radio on.  First try to start it, barely turned over.  Second try, was able start.  Not a good sign and this is the car my wife drives a lot, so I am shopping for a new one.  The Panasonic has done well, so I will probably go with that again.  p2900 was a nice price from a local parts place, but that shop burned down about 18 months ago!  They recently reopened, so I will take a look.

In the old topic, we discussed the battery pack jump starters.  After the Trailblazer batt died, I decided to try and get one, in case the Brio batt died.  I went to Concorde in the mall, and they had 3.  p7000 to p9500.  I didn't even look at them to see the brands.  I went to Blade, and they had one for p7000.  I went to Handyman, and they had one for p6000.  I had looked on Lazada and they have a lot for p2000-3000, but may all be China junk.  My friend bought one on Lazada and he said it was terrible.  You have to buy one that has enough power for the vehicle you are trying to start.  I stopped at American Hardware and they had one without a price on it.  The girl looked it up.  p10,500!  I didn't know the brand but when I got home I looked it up, and it is actually a solid model, the Noko GB 40.  $100 on Amazon, about p4850.  Looks like a jump starter will be a candidate for my next BB box!

Also discussed was jumper cables.  We don't see them used much here and maybe I found out why.  A few weeks back when my Trailblazer batt was starting to go, I left an interior light on overnight.  The way the car was in my carport, jumper cables would have to be 25 feet long to reach.  I stopped at another local shop close by, and asked if they could jump me.  Sure, p300 for remote service.  The guy grabs a battery and a few large spanners, and says let's go.  I said, no jumper cables, and he said, no need.  We get to the Trailblazer, he hoists the extra battery up and positions it, then he holds the the spanners terminal to terminal with the dead battery, and says start it up.  It started right up, and he didn't die from a shock or anything like that!  Bare hands and all!

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

The big issue with the jump boxes is the power/Amps provided.  Most work well with a gasoline engine.  However, diesels are much higher compression motors requiring more amps/starting power which the battery pack jumper just cannot handle.  These packs handle power in capacitors.  I was considering one a couple years back and only found one in the US that was recommended for diesel.  I ended up buying an actual electric battery charger which has a higher amp jump feature.  I don't feel comfortable using wrenches for a jump and I have a nice set of heavy copper cables.  We have only one vehicle but sense you have two it should be easy enough to remove one and carry the the dead car for a jump with a short cable.  If you cannot find cables just buy a length of welding cable and make your own.:tiphat:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, intrepid said:

The big issue with the jump boxes is the power/Amps provided.  Most work well with a gasoline engine.  However, diesels are much higher compression motors requiring more amps/starting power which the battery pack jumper just cannot handle.  These packs handle power in capacitors.  I was considering one a couple years back and only found one in the US that was recommended for diesel.  I ended up buying an actual electric battery charger which has a higher amp jump feature.  I don't feel comfortable using wrenches for a jump and I have a nice set of heavy copper cables.  We have only one vehicle but sense you have two it should be easy enough to remove one and carry the the dead car for a jump with a short cable.  If you cannot find cables just buy a length of welding cable and make your own.:tiphat:

I forgot to put the link for the Amazon battery powered jumpers.  I think they have come a long way, and Noco seems to be among the best.  The GB 40 supposedly it can start up to 3.0 L diesel, and the reviews are really good.  If you need more power, they have those too, and there are a lot of reviews from industrial applications that say they work great.  Of course, you have to pay more.

This one is $299, and can start up to 10 l gas and diesel.  If you scroll down, they have the specs for all the models.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB150-UltraSafe-Lithium-Gasoline/dp/B015TKSSB8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3VC98N071NCXS&dchild=1&keywords=noco+jump+starter&qid=1600604306&s=automotive&sprefix=noco%2Cautomotive%2C378&sr=1-4

On Lazada, I tried to find some "name brand" ones, but they all appear to be Chinese knock offs.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, intrepid said:

If you cannot find cables just buy a length of welding cable and make your own.

Last year, Ace Hardware carried two models of jumper cables. One set looked adequate for a motorcycle or tiny car battery, the other set was fairly robust and I have used them a couple of times. Of course I bought the heavier cables. I never travel without jumper cables, because you never know when you might need them... Or someone else could use a boost?:smile:

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Last year, Ace Hardware carried two models of jumper cables. One set looked adequate for a motorcycle or tiny car battery, the other set was fairly robust and I have used them a couple of times. Of course I bought the heavier cables. I never travel without jumper cables, because you never know when you might need them... Or someone else could use a boost?:smile:

I always had a good set in the U.S. but here in PH I have found that the good, thick, heavy duty and long cables are very expensive, so I never bought any.

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I always had a good set in the U.S. but here in PH I have found that the good, thick, heavy duty and long cables are very expensive, so I never bought any.

Sorry, I cannot remember what I paid at Ace, but I don't remember that it seemed exorbitant. Maybe you can just check them out next time you are there? True Value (or Handyman) here did not carry the heavy ones, just the very light duty type....

@intrepid's idea about using welding cable sounds good. However you would need to also buy heavy duty clamps and be able to crimp or attach them to the cables. I have no idea where to find those, but perhaps an electrical supply shop would carry them? Once at a car shop last year my car battery was dead and the shop boys did the same thing as they did for you - schlepped over a charged battery and two guys held long wrenches to the terminals. I winced when they did this because a stray spark over a boosted battery is never wise in an engine compartment...

Off topic, but an update... Some time ago I was seeking wire nuts for the sparky to use to connect the new house wiring. The other day I noticed that Wilcon had a good selection with different sizes available. Somebody suggested Wilcon before and I just sent the sparky there and he found them. But this was my first time to actually see them. They also carried shrink tubing and quality wire (cable) ties. I was impressed.

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted

My not inconsiderable experience after trying so.....many.

Large motor cycles without a doubt Moto Batt.

Cars...... Panasonic have given me best run.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, RBM said:

Large motor cycles without a doubt Moto Batt.

Last time I bought a Moto Batt for the Kawasaki 150, the guy at the shop tested three out of the box before he found one that was good! The Mazda we own came with a rather smallish battery, so when it finally died, I bought the biggest one that would fit in the rack. So far so good.

• Like 2

Joey G
Posted
Posted

For what it's worth...

-  Car batteries like to take long trips once in a while... short trips and lots of starts aren't optimal and shorten life span.

-  Battery pak starters need to be charged regularly or they will die as well.

-  Since retiring I've gotten a battery tender/charger... the tender portion does a trickle charge that keeps the battery at full strength, I hook it up about once a month... helps the battery lifespan a lot... especially now since travels have been curtailed. You can use chargers for keeping the battery pak starters up to snuff.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Joey G said:

-  Since retiring I've gotten a battery tender/charger... the tender portion does a trickle charge that keeps the battery at full strength, I hook it up about once a month... helps the battery lifespan a lot... especially now since travels have been curtailed. You can use chargers for keeping the battery pak starters up to snuff.

To add to Joey G's comments... Regular automotive lead-acid wet batteries last much longer when not discharged much but kept up to standard voltage. They do benefit from a bit of discharge now and then, or  else they will "sulfate," which means the battery lead plates take on a coating of the sulfates in the electrolyte (liquid). The sulfate coating essentially insulates the lead plates and reduces the efficiency and capacity of a wet lead-acid battery.

A short, strong discharge (like trying to start the car and grind the starter a while) will help dislodge this coating. But generally, keeping the charge up keeps them fresh. Leaving something on for slow discharge - like leaving on a radio or interior light - is perhaps about the worst thing that can be done to a car battery... sorry to tell you, OMW...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1