Starting a garden

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike J said:

You can buy lemons in the store but I have not seen limes.  

Often, the local SM store sells big green limes - I mean almost as big as oranges! They are tasty, fresh and have few seeds. Calamansi are always available, and I like them, but they are so full of seeds that I don't like to use them except for juice. L, as a Filipina, prefers the calamansi for her cooking, especially her world class kinilaw!

The lemons in the store are imported, it seems...

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Mike J said:

We tried orange, lemon, and lime trees.  None worked out.

When you say, "None worked out," what do you mean exactly? Did they not grow, not bear fruit?...

I am "hoping" that our altitude (about 1,000 feet) and slightly cooler temps here might help our fruit trees. The mangos, lanzones and durian flourish in this old orchard.

Lately, when harvesting the beans, I almost have to fight with big bees that are busy (as bees usually are) visiting the flowers and spreading their pollens. I am really pleased to have the bees here and just stay out of their way!

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

When you say, "None worked out," what do you mean exactly? Did they not grow, not bear fruit?...

They just seemed to not to want to grow, eventually just withered away.  It could be the land.  This was at the in-laws house.  Not much top soil there and you get into limestone and volcanic rock just a little way down.  Possible that those type of trees need deep roots? :89:  We finally gave up on those, but plenty of other trees, shrubs, bamboo, etc that grow fine.  Starting to look like a jungle. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Mike J said:

I miss real limes.  You can buy lemons in the store but I have not seen limes. 

We have a lime tree, I think, but rarely can harvest from it as the monkeys steal the fruit.  It does not seem to have many fruit but they do seem to be the same as the limes we had in California.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I didn't read this whole thread, but has anyone tried raised boxes for the veggies and flowers?  Should be good where the soil is not great, and you can design them to be easier to maintain.  Not as much stooping.

I didn't get great pictures, but here are a few shots of a friend's garden in NZ.   I'm thinking about doing this when we move to the U.S. next year.  And depending on the terrace area we have, perhaps some rolling beds like the last pic.

20200104_155049.jpg  P1010442.JPG

P1010454.JPG

SKY5732LRG-1_800x.jpg

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted

My first attempt at growing anything, looking for advise. I started growing seedlings from pepper seeds, they germinated about 5/6 weeks ago. I want to grow them in the ground. Where is the best location and when? Sun, shade?

Cheers.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

I think they grow better in the rainy season (now, where I am) . Full sun seems fine. 

• Like 3

Balisidar
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, jimeve said:

My first attempt at growing anything, looking for advise. I started growing seedlings from pepper seeds, they germinated about 5/6 weeks ago. I want to grow them in the ground. Where is the best location and when? Sun, shade?

Cheers.

Peppers like full sun and soil that drains well.  Most pepper varieties here are perennial and will keep on growing.  My brother in law has a Thai chili plant that is huge and has had it over five years.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I didn't read this whole thread, but has anyone tried raised boxes for the veggies and flowers?  Should be good where the soil is not great, and you can design them to be easier to maintain.  Not as much stooping.

I didn't get great pictures, but here are a few shots of a friend's garden in NZ.   I'm thinking about doing this when we move to the U.S. next year.  And depending on the terrace area we have, perhaps some rolling beds like the last pic.

20200104_155049.jpg  P1010442.JPG

P1010454.JPG

SKY5732LRG-1_800x.jpg

NZ has tantalized timber OLD doubt available here.

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Balisidar said:

Peppers like full sun and soil that drains well.  Most pepper varieties here are perennial and will keep on growing.  My brother in law has a Thai chili plant that is huge and has had it over five years.

Correct we are also growing the thai chilli, grows well and like the name hot an spicy.

• Like 3