Amazing Filipinos!

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Handy having an auntie of your wife living in the same street as a senior employee of a well heeled family

You really have the inside track there gangang 👍👍

Haha not really...Pio is just a nice guy I meet maybe 3 times a year. Last time I met him was on a Sunday few months ago, it was his wife's birthday and he invited us to a listening session with his hi-fi systems.

Edited by Gandang Smile

Terry P
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Haha not really...Pio is just a nice guy I meet maybe 3 times a year. Last time I met him was on a Sunday few months ago, it was his wife's birthday and he invited us to a listening session with his hi-fi systems.

Oh sorry

With your knowledge of the top of the tree so to speak I thought you were privy to information from there

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, TerryP said:

Oh sorry

With your knowledge of the top of the tree so to speak I thought you were privy to information from there

Much of this knowledge is sometimes spread as gossip, so one doesn't have to be well connected to have this information reaching their ears.

As you probably know, Filipinos love to talk about the achievements of local high-soc and celebrities with a mix of envy and participation. Nobody would criticise Henry Sy or Manny Pacquaio because, in the mind of the Filipino, their success becomes almost a collective reason to be proud. Same for the Miss Universe.

Pinoy pride, as they call it.

Edited by Gandang Smile

Terry P
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Much of this knowledge is sometimes spread as gossip, so one doesn't have to be well connected to have this information reaching their ears.

As you probably know, Filipinos love to talk about the achievements of local high-soc and celebrities with a mix of envy and participation. Nobody would criticise Henry Sy or Manny Pacquaio because, in the mind of the Filipino, their success becomes almost a collective reason to be proud. Same for the Miss Universe.

Pinoy pride, as they call it.

As we have pride in the achievement of figures in our countries. It's something not unique to the Philippines as I'm sure you would agree and in the main these achievers are elevated to the position of privelige

So are they really that different to us

• Like 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted

No list of this kind would be complete without Carlos Edriel Yulo, Philippines' first ever gymnastics multi-medalist.

Carlos Edriel Yulo (born February 16, 2000) is a Filipino artistic gymnast who has won bronze and gold at the World Artistic Gymnastics Championships. He is the first Filipino and the first male Southeast Asian gymnast to win in the World Artistic Gymnastics Championships with his floor exercise bronze medal finish in 2018, and the first ever gold medal for the Philippines in 2019 on the same apparatus. This performance also qualified him to the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.

Carlos Yulo 2019 (Cropped).jpeg

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Of course. Another example of rags to riches story of the Fil-Chinese community was Lucio Tan.

From Wikipedia...

We could have literally dozens of posts in this thread. Please feel free to contribute. However unrelated to our expat lives, this topic would help remind us that no world society is condemned to mediocrity in its entirety, and forever.

Most of us don't need reminded.

• Like 2

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Most of us don't need reminded.

Just a polite way to ask you to add more examples to the thread. 

Edited by Gandang Smile

hk blues
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Just a polite way to ask you to add more examples to the thread. 

I must have missed the memo about that.  

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I must have missed the memo about that.  

I get criticism when I bash Filipinos. I get criticism when I exalt them. 

Care to propose something that will fit your taste?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

I get criticism when I bash Filipinos. I get criticism when I exalt them. 

Care to propose something that will fit your taste?

You misunderstood me.

Feel free to post about anything which floats your boat but please don't expect that me, or any other poster, will necessarily post.  If the topic interests me, I'll post, if not then I won't.  That's how this forum works and works very well.  

• Like 1