How do you feel about condos in the Philippines?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

While I haven't seen many condos here in Davao, for those I have checked out the overall quality ranges from bad to "eminently mediocre". Back in 2015, Aeon Towers was being sold to me as the "next big thing" in Davao. Six years on, the only thing this place has to show for is plenty of unfinished spaces, plenty of geometrically-challenged finished and semi-finished spaces, and virtually noone living here.

All in all, if I knew I had to go through the pain and problem, I would have invested the 200K USD I had on building a proper home.

Sorry to hear of your hassles, Gandang. Your main comments relate exactly why we built our own home. Sure...it was a HUGE hassle. so many things the contractors either did not know how to do or just did poor quality work. Boots on the ground helped a lot to keep it from becoming a disaster. When we shopped condos and homes, the problems we saw were not indicative of quality construction - so many big cracks in walls, cheap and low quality fixtures... And, as I have mentioned before either here or in other threads, watching the construction - especially the masonry (hollow blocks and cement and "plaster") - can be downright scary...

At least we know what we have constructed and are pleased with the overall result...

Thanks for sharing your not-so-fine experience...

Edited by Tommy T.

Shady
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, earthdome said:

In the Philippines the impression I have is that it is not a good idea to leave a home unoccupied for longer than a day or two.

More like an hour or two, unless you're in a guard-gated subdivision, there's a reason these things are so pricey.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Rather an inaccurate 'impression', I'd suggest. 

44 minutes ago, Shady said:

In the Philippines the impression I have is that it is not a good idea to leave a home unoccupied for longer than a day or two.

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

You are not likely to see a view off your deck like this if you live in a condo.

Wow Sunset.jpg

Not correct, we have amazing sun rises from our terrace (when awake to view)

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, graham59 said:

Not sure why you're quoting me, it wasn't my impression. Though it is entirely accurate,  which is why armed guards and gates and perimeter walls and metal bars over windows are everywhere to protect things of value in the PH.

Edited by Shady
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, graham59 said:

Regarding it not being a wise decision to leave a home unoccupied in the Philippines there will be exceptions to that rule if you live close to family you trust and/or live a humble/simple life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

While I haven't seen many condos here in Davao, for those I have checked out the overall quality ranges from bad to "eminently mediocre". Back in 2015, Aeon Towers was being sold to me as the "next big thing" in Davao. Six years on, the only thing this place has to show for is plenty of unfinished spaces, plenty of geometrically-challenged finished and semi-finished spaces, and virtually noone living here.

Sorry to hear this, but its an oft repeated take that folks here didnt get what they paid for and feel they have no sense of redress.

I fortunately learnt long ago  to only buy from what could be considered good quality.

Mine is an Ayala Premier building which for Philippines is probably good standards... for HK where I lived in apartments for many years, it would probably be at best average quality, and for Singapore where I lived, would be considered poor quality. Would be average for Thailand and Shanghai  ie. Lots money spent on lobby and nothing spent on decor away from lobby.

Hope that things improve for you Mr Gandang but for sure the rental market isnt doing much at the moment, Manila wise.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Shady said:

Not sure why you're quoting me, it wasn't my impression. Though it is entirely accurate,  which is why armed guards and gates and perimeter walls and metal bars over windows are everywhere to protect things of value in the PH.

This (quoting you) is what I was replying to:

'More like an hour or two, unless you're in a guard-gated subdivision, there's a reason these things are so pricey'.

I simply choose to live in an area where there is not a high rate of criminal activity...and yes, I have lived in such areas before (though I've never had a break-in, or anything stolen from me during the past 30 years and many properties ). 

As for the security guards and 'secure compounds' here...about as much use as chocolate fireguards, IMHO

Edited by graham59

graham59
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, earthdome said:

Regarding it not being a wise decision to leave a home unoccupied in the Philippines there will be exceptions to that rule if you live close to family you trust and/or live a humble/simple life.

Yes...qualify on both counts. 

If I was to spend my days worrying about 'security'  issues, to the point of paranoia, (as in property unoccupied for a couple of hours) I wouldn't live here !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1