Buying a house/condo for your Filipina's family

Ricky
Posted
Posted

My wife owns a house in Rizal that some of her siblings live in and it's an absolute headache. I want her to gift it to them through a trust or something so that my kids never have the burden of dealing with it. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Ricky said:

My wife owns a house in Rizal that some of her siblings live in and it's an absolute headache. I want her to gift it to them through a trust or something so that my kids never have the burden of dealing with it. 

Welcome to the forum Ricky. 

• Love it 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Ricky said:

We were in the same situation but instead of giving it to them, we kicked them out 😂👍

• Haha 5

BLM
Posted
Posted

Build a new house on that spot. The old one will need to be bulldozed and then it might take years for the new house to finally get built.

• Like 1

Joe LP
Posted
Posted

My ex's father was dual citizen.  In the 1950's he joined the US navy and got his US citizenship that way.  He spent his first 10 years post navy getting a Political Science degree at USC then bounced through 3 embassy's until he was working at the US embassy in Manila as secretary back in the 80's.  Anyway, he leaves that and moves the family to the Chicago.  After his corporate career was over in the USA, he returned to Bataan and retires.  A very "American" home with all the luxuries he had in the USA.  

He died in his sleep, we flew over inside a couple weeks.  Showed up to everything of value removed from the house, distant cousins of the ex living in it.  Talking every aircon gone.  All the kitchen appliance, gone.  Oddly enough, the only thing not missing was her fathers BMW in the garage.  Wife(having lived in the USA since '85 and now, after 30 years returning) was pissed.  Talking very, very pissed.  She met with one of her father's cousins she trusted(who lived in Las Pinas) and he said he cannot do anything with the house due to his business and workload and distance between the father's house and his house.  Ex and her sisters talk and leave without setting anything up.  the house was left in shambles due to family, and selling it was no longer much of an option as there was no one they trusted to take over management and selling of it.  A complete loss.

So, after I moved here, I decided to not build anything flashy.  Have a small stone build 2 story home behind the wife's family's house.  I help them in some ways.  Got the sisters with a bakery some kitchenaid mixers and other stuff like that.  Help at times with stuff with their house, but our house is ours and they knock(except the little kids) before they enter and we have our boundaries set.  From the outside, the house looks very similar to all the local neighbors' houses.  The inside is much different. 

I learned a lot from my ex's family.  If they do that to blood family, what would they do to a foreigner's home that is only related via marriage.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

Ricky
Posted
Posted
On 5/13/2023 at 11:10 PM, Old55 said:

Welcome to the forum Ricky. 

Thank you.