Changes in the air

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Gator said:

Even when they eventually do away with the quarantine on arrival, me thinks the visa first policy will have a negative effect on tourism. 

I wonder how many people will book a flight, show up at the airport and be told they can’t check in because they don’t have a visa. Or worse, how many will slip thru the cracks and arrive in the Phils, then get turned around and sent back. 

Doubtful, most if not all airlines will not allow boarding to countries that require visas if one does not have in passport.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Vietnam comes to mind with the pre-departure visas.  Pre-pandemic, tourism was booming and experiencing significant growth every year across all demographics eg:  backpackers, yearly holiday makers as well as those in similar situations to many on this forum.  How do I know this?  I have an ex-RAAF mate living in Vietnam that runs a tour company, owns a very popular expat sports bar and is a fixer for any type of film production from documentaries (the Top Gear motorbike special and Anthony Bourdain come to mind) to Hollywood blockbusters. 

Yes it's obtained online so relatively easy.  I have no knowledge of other countries with similar visa systems, except perhaps India, so it may be the exception to the rule.  

Given the state of most government websites in PI and the security issues they seem to constantly be having, I think it will be a while before online is implemented to a standard we can trust.  

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Time will tell what the changes will be. We only have the proposed bill to go by for now and anything else is just guess work. I'm sure most here understand how government offices interpret things then throw in the Airlines trying to get their heads around changes.

My reading of the Bill is that it is the local Consulate/Embassy where the tourist is coming from that issues it. Now if say it's an American working in Dubai does he go to the local Dubai Consulate or have to go home to the States? Commonsense tells me some Senator will point out that the Embassies/Consulates don't have the manpower to deal with this so it'll be a case of getting your passport stamped on arrival for 59 days.

The next issue is the Bill states they will respect other countries visa partnerships, so does that mean if a country only allows you to holiday for say 6 months in the US and UK case, 3 months for Australia then will they allow us to extend for the same amount of time?  Thus keeping local immigration officers in a job.  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, GeoffH said:

You're not being either harsh or blunt :cheersty:

And you make some good points... I just wish I hadn't let SWMBO talk me out of putting $20,000 US into an SRRV "no rush Geoffrey you can get a long term Visa later.  Once your things are sold or put into storage in Aussie and you come back here... maybe the other one" (the 13a).

As it is now an SRRV has to be processed in the Philippines and a 13a requires a marriage  (which was going to be planned.. no doubt at great length... once I came back there, but of course Covid happened and by the time I'd finished arranging things here the aussie borders were locked down).

So if I'm sounding a bit... peeved... I apologize, it's been a very long time in Aussie instead of the 6 months it was supposed to be (which was almost up when the borders were shut).

No need for any apology, Geoff, we all understand that it's easy (or easier) for us happily sitting here with our partners to rationalise what's being done without taking into account the direct impact of restrictions on actual people.  

• Thanks 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm sure the Chinese thought the same before it was introduced that they only get 30 days. The were the biggest tourism customers with the BI

Not really tourism customer and thats why they restricted them for other reasons. 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Commonsense tells me some Senator will point out that the Embassies/Consulates don't have the manpower to deal with this so it'll be a case of getting your passport stamped on arrival for 59 days.

Was it my imagination or did I read somewhere in the proposed law an increase in foreign embassy staff?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, GeoffH said:

No, it's just a rumor that seems to keep coming back around.

Maybe it's just that or maybe the old adage "where there is smoke there is fire" applies.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Yes we will wait and see. How things are interpreted from one to another is an issue when nothing has changed at the moment except for covid changes. One vlogger has his view and another video in this topic which I did not view but read the comment which a so called expert visa company says it will only apply to Chinese so personally not listening to anything.

The list of senate hearings to be discussed before the end of Duterte's term were announced the other day but Immigration was not listed as one so probably a long time before anything happens.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Not really tourism customer and thats why they restricted them for other reasons. 

I think tourism was the excuse but working in the POGO's was the reality. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I think tourism was the excuse but working in the POGO's was the reality. 

Yep

"We just put in more restrictions specifically because of the complaints that many are using that facility to obtain employment in the Philippines," said Perete, acknowledging the problems brought about by POGOs or Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators, who are mostly Chinese. (READ: How China’s online gambling addiction is reshaping Manila)

"Part of it [is] the POGO. Some have used that facility to obtain employment later on, whether it's POGO or any other kind of employment," said Perete. – https://www.rappler.com/nation/philippines-makes-visa-arrival-30-days-chinese-tourists

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Onemore52
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 8/5/2021 at 10:02 PM, GeoffH said:

You're not being either harsh or blunt :cheersty:

And you make some good points... I just wish I hadn't let SWMBO talk me out of putting $20,000 US into an SRRV "no rush Geoffrey you can get a long term Visa later.  Once your things are sold or put into storage in Aussie and you come back here... maybe the other one" (the 13a).

As it is now an SRRV has to be processed in the Philippines and a 13a requires a marriage  (which was going to be planned.. no doubt at great length... once I came back there, but of course Covid happened and by the time I'd finished arranging things here the aussie borders were locked down).

So if I'm sounding a bit... peeved... I apologize, it's been a very long time in Aussie instead of the 6 months it was supposed to be (which was almost up when the borders were shut).

Hey Geoff, I am feeling your pain, with 3 months left on my tenancy and Australia being in lockdown all over the different state, that coupled with the uncertainty of the new immigration laws being drafted leaves me in a state, a state of what I don’t know.

One thing I have learned in the last year and a half is that I like my own company, no choice but to.

I could go on but I won’t as I have my regular 4 p.m. appointment out in the beer garden with my mates, beer then wine with dinner as the sun sets, yes beer and wine are my new best mates.

For those not familiar with the lock down laws in Australia we are not allowed to gather in groups.

The shops that sell alcohol are laughing all the way to the bank, they have never had it so good.

Cheers

Edited by Onemore52
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1