Two-factor authentication in the Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I get two factor text message from a US site here with my Philippines number without problems.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I get two factor text message from a US site here with my Philippines number without problems.

My bank wanted two factor authentication but could not send a text message to the Philippines. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):   Their tech department was able to turn it off on my account after I told them I would need to close all accounts and also move my 401K to another financial service provider.  

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

My bank wanted two factor authentication but could not send a text message to the Philippines. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):   Their tech department was able to turn it off on my account after I told them I would need to close all accounts and also move my 401K to another financial service provider.  

Was watching a American youtube guy who lives in Thailand but currently visiting the US. While there he went to Walmart I think it was to get a USB type thing so he can enter a code or receive it or something like that for his US banking when he gets back to Thailand. Will have to find it and watch again to know how it actually works. 

graham59
Posted
Posted

Skype also offer a 'home country' phone number. 

( I discovered that I can also phone government  and other 'freephone' numbers in my country (England) through Skype. )

My (UK) bank is happy enough to send texts to either my phone with a British SIM card in it, that I brought here with me 4 years ago, or the phone with my local (Globe) SIM, here in the Philippines. 

earthdome
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Was watching a American youtube guy who lives in Thailand but currently visiting the US. While there he went to Walmart I think it was to get a USB type thing so he can enter a code or receive it or something like that for his US banking when he gets back to Thailand. Will have to find it and watch again to know how it actually works. 

There are several apps used for 2FA. Authy is one and Google Authenticate. He must be referring to the Yubikey a USB 2FA device.

Note of warning. Two Factor Authentication (2FA) using SMS text messages can be bypassed by criminals using social engineering against your cell phone provider to do a SIMM swap where they take over your phone number. So using Authy, Google Authenticate or a Yubikey is a great deal more secure if your financial institution supports them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Check to see if there's an option to use email for 2FA, my bank does.  If you're on online banking, you can use email.  

• Like 4

baronapart
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Check to see if there's an option to use email for 2FA, my bank does.  If you're on online banking, you can use email.  

All my banks have email as an option for 2FA except the one where I have the most funds. Ughh. I have 10 months until I retire. Time enough to consolidate. Using SMS for 2FA is bonkers.

• Like 3

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Is that an Aussie bank?  If it is do you mind telling me which one?

• Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, GeoffH said:

Is that an Aussie bank?  If it is do you mind telling me which one?

I've been having trouble transferring money with my bank, ANZ, it wants to use SMS but a couple of years ago I had a talk to security and they put me onto a system when transferring 3 security questions are asked before the transfer will go through. Some how it changed and reverted back to SMS, I asked Brett the same question and after receiving his reply I got back onto my bank with intentions of closing the account. Surprise, surprise, someone had made a mistake and the security questions are back and SMS out. Surprising what you can do if you push a little, I've still got a couple of months before I get over there, so I'll see how good they are. One More thing, ANZ has a development bank in Makiti and if you have trouble they will ring Australia and sort it out for you. :cheersty:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Clermont said:

I've been having trouble transferring money with my bank, ANZ, it wants to use SMS but a couple of years ago I had a talk to security and they put me onto a system when transferring 3 security questions are asked before the transfer will go through. Some how it changed and reverted back to SMS, I asked Brett the same question and after receiving his reply I got back onto my bank with intentions of closing the account. Surprise, surprise, someone had made a mistake and the security questions are back and SMS out. Surprising what you can do if you push a little, I've still got a couple of months before I get over there, so I'll see how good they are. One More thing, ANZ has a development bank in Makiti and if you have trouble they will ring Australia and sort it out for you. :cheersty:

Haha... one of my two banks is already ANZ (the other is Bendigo Bank).  I remember when I used to get asked the security questions but it changed at some point to SMS.  I will do what you did and contact them to see if it can be changed back.

• Like 1